Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bilsteinshocks vs Koni shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Slocomotion, the sponsor feedback section is for that topic... Your point about sponsors deals right now is valid but unless you've been living under a rock you would know by now.
Most people's experience with Sam, including mine, has been quite the opposite, but again, this discussion is off topic.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I understand why a handful of people complain about Sam's or any other go-to expert's customer service. Most of them are perfectly happy to help out, but you need to go in with an open mind and to listen to what they have to say. Assume that what you know may be a lot of misconception that you've picked up from your buddies or from the internet. Like any expert or even a college professor, most aren't afraid to tell you that you are wrong. I guess I'm used to that and appreciate it.

A while back, I had my engine built, I had all these ideas to put all this name brand crap. My engine builder basically told me I was being an idiot. I was.. I might have been able to get a few more rwhp out of my current car had I gone with most of his recommendations.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

^Agreed.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To any that feel like bashing site sponsors, this is your only warning: keep it out of this thread. The OP wasn't asking about Sam Strano's customer service, he was asking about Bilstein vs. Koni. Keep it on topic, or you'll be finding another board to post on.

I've had both Bilstein (Strano revalved Bilsteins actually) and Konis, and as has already been stated, the Konis controlled the car much better. The gentleman who bought my car actually commented on how smooth and stable the car was, and that was with the Strano lower springs, which will quickly point out any deficiencies in your shocks. I wish I would have paid the money up front for the Konis back in the day, but I thought the Bilsteins would have been good enough. I was wrong.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM

You know what. You have a valid point. I apologize if this has come across as bashing. I got extremely heated when I realized that the retailer has time to answer forum posts but has no time to process orders. It had nothing to do with his knowledge which, undoubtedly, supersedes mine any day. I was simply browsing the forum looking for an alternative to strano springs. Thanks to this board I found my alternative. To my defense a forum is for posting the good and the bad.

To stay on topic I cannot wait to get my Koni/BMR setup. From other posts it seems like these will be awesome. I have also ordered Founders performance rear LCA and PHB. I ordered new shock mounts for the front.

Am I forgetting something crucial? should I be replacing my front control arm bushings while I am there? I have not done a search on this yet but can anyone tell me how easy it really is to adjust these shocks? In the pdf on koni's website it says "at the turn of a ****". Is it that simple you just pop your hood and the *** will be protruding through the the shock mount? Same at the back?

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
To any that feel like bashing site sponsors, this is your only warning: keep it out of this thread. The OP wasn't asking about Sam Strano's customer service, he was asking about Bilstein vs. Koni. Keep it on topic, or you'll be finding another board to post on.

I've had both Bilstein (Strano revalved Bilsteins actually) and Konis, and as has already been stated, the Konis controlled the car much better. The gentleman who bought my car actually commented on how smooth and stable the car was, and that was with the Strano lower springs, which will quickly point out any deficiencies in your shocks. I wish I would have paid the money up front for the Konis back in the day, but I thought the Bilsteins would have been good enough. I was wrong.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowmocomotion
You know what. You have a valid point. I apologize if this has come across as bashing. I got extremely heated when I realized that the retailer has time to answer forum posts but has no time to process orders. It had nothing to do with his knowledge which, undoubtedly, supersedes mine any day. I was simply browsing the forum looking for an alternative to strano springs. Thanks to this board I found my alternative. To my defense a forum is for posting the good and the bad.

To stay on topic I cannot wait to get my Koni/BMR setup. From other posts it seems like these will be awesome. I have also ordered Founders performance rear LCA and PHB. I ordered new shock mounts for the front.

Am I forgetting something crucial? should I be replacing my front control arm bushings while I am there? I have not done a search on this yet but can anyone tell me how easy it really is to adjust these shocks? In the pdf on koni's website it says "at the turn of a ****". Is it that simple you just pop your hood and the *** will be protruding through the the shock mount? Same at the back?
Make your own thread.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Chill out the dude just joined this month and probably doesn't know everything yet.

Back to the discussion, besides 'feel' is there any way to measure suspension performance or see any numbers? Probably track numbers? I'm guessing why this is why it is so hard for someone with no experience to grasp what a good suspension is vs a great one.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

To Slomo... Your suspension retailer would be more than happy to give you knowledgeable advice and support I would think...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In this case, your defense doesn't hold water - contrary to popular belief, this is NOT a public forum. It is a privately owned forum that is owned by Internet Brands, and IB collects its revenue from paying site sponsors. IB lets the general public register and post here, but if you break the rules, which you did, there are consequences. Apologizing for something that can't be viewed as anything other than bashing doesn't make it right either. If you have an issue with one of the sponsors, take it to the Sponsor Feedback section.

Like I said, this is your one warning. Don't press the issue.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the stranoparts popularity makes it seem like he's got a huge business with a ton of people working for him, and I believe it's just him running the entire thing on his own.

The cons to that are you might have to wait a little longer.. especially this time of year when all performance shops are flooded. Another thing is if your sensetive then you might take things the wrong way and take it personally. I'm usually the type to go to a smaller business over a larger franchise because smaller businesses are usually more personable.

The pros to that are without a doubt you're going to get great recommendations from him.. from daily driving to handling applications. And your getting it from the guy who wins the SCCA prosolo's.. not sure if he's done it the past year but the last few years he's beaten everyone.. not just his own class. Go to another type of car's website and let me know when you find anyone who fits a similar category

But anyways... what was the original topic again? lol
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Simply, the Koni's offer much better control and give you some control over that control. Bilstein's are what they are, and they have less rebound damping. Set Koni's full soft, and you have something similar to Bilstein.... Can't think of hardly anyone who, given the choice since they have Koni's, runs them like that.
Sam, I finally got under my car last weekend to check the shock settings over since they came on the car from SLP. I never did it when I installed your springs, was in too much of a hurry I guess. Well, they were all set at FULL soft. So I clicked'm up a tad and WOW, you are absolutly correct. I won't be softening them back up in fact I may go a bit more.
Thanks again for the great service and awesome springs!
Robb
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Parts of what makes me, me is that I take the time to answer as best I can. Funny that now works against me. In fact I'm answering you right now, but I'm doing other things. I'm on the phone right now in fact. I do my best to multi-task, I have to. Yeah, it'd be great if I didn't have to come defend myself, or remind folks I'm here since I don't have 2 or 3 guys cruising the forums at all times. I'm kind of damned if I do, damned if I don't with some people. Can't win 'em all I guess.

Luckily for me, most folks seem to understand that the world doesn't revolve around their needs at that very minute, but I do try my best to get with folks ASAP because I know they can look around. However, I am limited on the amount of time in a day, and by the fact I have to do things like work on cars, go grocery shopping, pack shipments, etc., etc.

As for you alternative, I hope that works out for you. Some of the differences you get from me is an education on how the shocks work, and baseline setups with a rational behind them, as well as why you might want to change them and how and why. Also springs that are well known, proven over years, and not made by a company you've never heard of.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Sam, I finally got under my car last weekend to check the shock settings over since they came on the car from SLP. I never did it when I installed your springs, was in too much of a hurry I guess. Well, they were all set at FULL soft. So I clicked'm up a tad and WOW, you are absolutly correct. I won't be softening them back up in fact I may go a bit more.
Thanks again for the great service and awesome springs!
Robb
Perfect! Glad you took the time to check them and mess around.

For those watching: This is exactly what I was talking about with regards to how the shocks compare and that most folks don't opt to run Koni's full soft because they like the result of more rebound.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

I ran Bilsteins for 30K miles on my 00 Z28 and they were ok, a huge step above the stock decarbons. Now I'm waiting to install my new Konis. I look forward to the adjustability I'll have with them and the far superior ride quality.

If only I had the will power to have saved up the $ back when I was shopping for shocks I would have gone with the Konis over the Bilsteins, but hey poo-boy budgeting is what it is.

I'll be sure to post up a new thread when I get all my stuff put together.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

koni all day, no question, no comparison.....well i guess $$ but if can afford them but em
Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
I ran Bilsteins for 30K miles on my 00 Z28 and they were ok, a huge step above the stock decarbons. Now I'm waiting to install my new Konis. I look forward to the adjustability I'll have with them and the far superior ride quality.
Far superior ride? In my experience with both on stock springs, Konis (at least up front) transmit a good deal more harshness than Bilsteins. IMO, Bilsteins have the better ride.

I agree with pewter2002's assessment:
Bilstein : Good handling, good, comfy ride.
Koni:. Excellent handling, vehicle response, sporty ride.
I liked both sets, the Konis control the car better. They are KONI SPORT labelled shocks. The name says it all.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Far superior ride? In my experience with both on stock springs, Konis (at least up front) transmit a good deal more harshness than Bilsteins. IMO, Bilsteins have the better ride.

I agree with pewter2002's assessment:
Ride quality is subjective. That was just my opinion. I like to feel the input from the suspension when I drive, I'm no Cadillac man. The cool thing about the Konis is that at full soft they are fairly close to the feel of the Bilsteins. So if asjustability is what your after from one surface medium to another the Konis are where it's at.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Is it different when you are comparing shocks on stock springs to comparing shocks on lowering springs? I know that REV think the Konis transmit more harshness based on stock springs, but when it comes to lowering springs, would you want those "stiffer" shocks to control the higher spring rate? Would the bilsteins cause the car with lowering springs to feel more harsh? I think I'm going the right way here.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I run Koni Sports on lots of cars with stock springs. Included in that list are/were: My 2001 Z28, my 2007 Mustang GT, my 2011 Mustang GT/Brembo, my 1994 BMW 325is, and my 2007 Corvette Z06. No, I don't have all these cars now. But they were all run at some point in time on Koni's with stock springs. And never did I run any of them full soft. I could have, but did not prefer it.

YMMV, that's part of what makes adjustment helpful.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Launching!

my feeling is NEVER really listen to someone who
is too sure of themselves on any count.

as for the shocks. there are more then Bilstien and Koni out there.
if you wanna listen to one guy thats been doing it one way forever(and it works no doubt)
then you can.

my suggestion it look at all that is out there and call the manufactors and see what they have to say. get the specs and start comparing.

or be blind and get a set of Koni's...they are great, just not the end all and be all of handleing as some will have you believe

Quick Reply: bilsteinshocks vs Koni shocks