Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Subframe connectors

Whats the best bolt in subframe connectors available for the money? Pros and cons between 2 and 3 point? 3's are obviously stronger.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We consider our SFC's a great combination of quality and value.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_113_263

Two points were the industry standard for many years and work great. Three points obviously add an extra mounting point - at the tunnel brace.

Since it's so difficult to measure the benefit, I usually tell customers two is better than zero and three is slightly stiffer than two. Unscientifically, a SFC car reacts more quickly and responds better. Also, SFC cars tends to retain door jamb alignment and wrinkle less sheet metal.

ramey
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See, this is why I like UMI. Was just coming in here to suggest UMI 3-points and they beat me to it; all while giving you a real world performance idea, not just "our stuff, buyz it now!" Personally, I'd say grab the 3-point if you want to feel more solid along Missouri backroads and 2-point if you're more of a highway racer. Weld-in will remove another breaking point if you can find a shop to do it.

Also, hello fellow Missourian.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the advice! I do like the 3 point but I think i will take to the bolt in option. If for some reason I need to remove them removing a weld would be no fun!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NightmareMoose
See, this is why I like UMI. Was just coming in here to suggest UMI 3-points and they beat me to it; all while giving you a real world performance idea, not just "our stuff, buyz it now!" Personally, I'd say grab the 3-point if you want to feel more solid along Missouri backroads and 2-point if you're more of a highway racer. Weld-in will remove another breaking point if you can find a shop to do it.

Also, hello fellow Missourian.
Hey man, do you ever go to KCI to race or just hang out?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Teching In

KCIR? Actually never been there. Seems like something always comes up whenever the family wants to go. I fully plan on racing there as soon as I beef up my car in the next couple months.

Now if you mean the actual airport, no. Only a few places I run with friends and haven't even done that lately.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

I have the UMI 3pt bolt ins and wouldn't think of ever looking back. I've never had them squeak or creak or come loose. Great option in my opinion. Really helps stiffin up a t-top car I think.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NightmareMoose
KCIR? Actually never been there. Seems like something always comes up whenever the family wants to go. I fully plan on racing there as soon as I beef up my car in the next couple months.

Now if you mean the actual airport, no. Only a few places I run with friends and haven't even done that lately.
Yes my bad, KCIR not KCI. I dont think the feds would appreciate your drag racing on the airport runaway LOL. Let me know if you go race there though, its a 1/4 mile track, maybe once I get a good rear ill come out there and make a few passes too.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
We consider our SFC's a great combination of quality and value.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_113_263

Two points were the industry standard for many years and work great. Three points obviously add an extra mounting point - at the tunnel brace.

Since it's so difficult to measure the benefit, I usually tell customers two is better than zero and three is slightly stiffer than two. Unscientifically, a SFC car reacts more quickly and responds better. Also, SFC cars tends to retain door jamb alignment and wrinkle less sheet metal.

ramey
UMI 3-point bolt-in here. Hands down, UMI puts out the best products!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Austinma62
Yes my bad, KCIR not KCI. I dont think the feds would appreciate your drag racing on the airport runaway LOL. Let me know if you go race there though, its a 1/4 mile track, maybe once I get a good rear ill come out there and make a few passes too.
I'd love to. I'm waiting on the engine mods til I can get a Moser 9" for fear of grenading a stock axle with ~125k miles on it.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the UMI 2 point and they are great. But I think the 3 point would be even better.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have UMI 3 points on my car and they are awesome.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

UMI 3-pts on 3 cars...that's how much I like them.

What's up NW MO guys? You do know KCIR got shut down, right?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

I don't have a 4th gen, but I have a 3rd which are known for being very "flexible". I JUST installed a set of umi 3pt weld in SFC, and it absolutely transformed the car. To tell you how rigid they are, I had the front end on stands the other day, opened the door and there was virtually no flex.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
UMI 3-pts on 3 cars...that's how much I like them.

What's up NW MO guys? You do know KCIR got shut down, right?
Damn that's right. Just a couple months ago. Only other one I can think of is Heartland Park in Topeka.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Mwc makes the only true sub frame connectors for our cars connecting at the sub frames themselves and not at the control arm bracket. Less than 200 for weld ins
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Austinma62
Whats the best bolt in subframe connectors available for the money? Pros and cons between 2 and 3 point? 3's are obviously stronger.
ever so slightly off topic......

i'm not too sure about the gm's.....but on the fox bodies i've installed connectors on......i've found that bolt ons never work as well as being welded in. even if you bolt them in, then have them welded, but welding them seems to improve their functionality a LOT.
the other thing to note is "do NOT install them with the car hanging on a lift, or jacked up. install them with the car sitting on the ground as it would normally be.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You must have use of a 4 post lift or something to get the car up in the air with the suspension still loaded to do that I would think. Not like there is a lot of room to crawl underneath these cars.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for UMI 2 points. I have bolt ins on my car. They got rid of a lot of chassis flex for me.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You must have use of a 4 post lift or something to get the car up in the air with the suspension still loaded to do that I would think. Not like there is a lot of room to crawl underneath these cars.
i actually use my alignment rack when i install them for customers.

i realize there's not much room underneath to do it on the ground. possibly you know someone that could get you the use of a bay at their work? if not, it's worth the money to pay someone to install them this way.
the reason i say this, is that all cars flex a little when you jack or lift them. sometimes it's not enough to make much difference...other times it can make a ton of difference.

any chance you're near south jersey? my shop's not the neatest in the world, but i'd consider letting you use the alignment rack in order to get them installed properly.

Quick Reply: Subframe connectors