Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much does a frame/body twist over time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How much does a frame/body twist over time?

I put two metal 1" tall spacers on the car. They install on the bottom of the springs on the factory spring mounts. Factory spring isolators are on the tops.

The left side is almost 1/2" higher.

???

****The spring is not in place in the picture......its just to show the spacers I used.****

Attached Thumbnails How much does a frame/body twist over time?-dsc02448.jpg   How much does a frame/body twist over time?-dsc02450.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 05-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It look like the problem is that the spring is not set in the mount I would start by putting the spring in the mount properly. secondly it could be the aftermarket springs sagging
Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have had my car up on 4 jackstands under the body for about a month (with SFCs). I was working on the front suspension and when I put a jack under the lower arm and lifted, the body flexed first before it would actually compress the coil spring up No wonder my doors don't close correctly.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6speedt/a
It look like the problem is that the spring is not set in the mount I would start by putting the spring in the mount properly. secondly it could be the aftermarket springs sagging
lol.....the springs are on. Thats a picture I took of the spacer in place just so you can see I have two metal spacers that are exactly the same height. So its definitely not the spacers.....

Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
lol.....the springs are on. Thats a picture I took of the spacer in place just so you can see I have two metal spacers that are exactly the same height. So its definitely not the spacers.....

Swap springs from one side to the other and make sure the pig tails are pointing in the same direction. Drive for a bit and then remeasure.
I think its much more likely that the springs are sagging or something is not lined up right before I'd guess that the chassis flexed enough to see a ride height change.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I have had my car up on 4 jackstands under the body for about a month (with SFCs). I was working on the front suspension and when I put a jack under the lower arm and lifted, the body flexed first before it would actually compress the coil spring up No wonder my doors don't close correctly.

Did you measure anything? You are saying you saw the actual body flex, or that corner of the car came off the jackstand (thats not flex, the opposite side corner will pivot with it).
Also these cars are known to have door sag issues, combine that with poor build quality and yeah...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold old are the springs?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

No, I actually saw the fender/firewall/cowl area flex. The front jackstands were on the frame rail just in front of the SFCs and just behind the k member. I jacked up on the suspension on one side and it straightened the body 1/4 inch before it starting compressing the suspension.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fccs
Hold old are the springs?
Bought and installed back in 2002....same time everything in my sig was done. I had everything in my sig done at once.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Swap springs from one side to the other and make sure the pig tails are pointing in the same direction. Drive for a bit and then remeasure.
I'll try to see if something is jammed up somewhere.

Because just a few months ago before the old spacers starting falling apart and the right side started dropping and that tire started rubbing on bumps, the car was even for the past 8 years. It has to be something other than the springs causing it.

Quick Reply: How much does a frame/body twist over time?