Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vibration while braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Vibration while braking

I think I really screwed up this time.
I have a 2002 Firebird 3.8 6 cyl. Rear pads were grinding. Changed both sides and drove it a couple days without incident.

Decided to changed front pads. Did so and drove car about 10 miles or so. Burning brake smell obvious. Brakes so hot they melted caliper paint which was rated at 900 degrees. Friend asked me did I bleed brakes at any time (which I did not).
I then attempted to bled the front brakes (couldn't get bleed bolts on either rear caliper to open).
After that, burning smell greatly reduced, but car vibrating violently when braking from highway speeds (65+). Could the high heat have warped my rotors? Is there a proper procedure for bleeding brakes on these cars?
Help.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Did you grease the slider pins? Seized slider pins can lock your brake pad in place, which will up the temperature very, very quicky.

It is possible your rotors are warped. I suggest taking the brake assembly apart again and inspecting it for what could have caused your problem. Rotors will be obvious once they are off the car.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I did grease the slider pins on the rear calipers, however, the front calipers did not appear tom have pins that slid (or they were stuck in place). The bolts that hold the front caliper bracket to the main caliper body had a little grease on them, but that's it. Does the front calipers actually have slider pins?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Teching In

yes, slider pins front and rear. lotta times these are overlooked but if you have ones that may be seized, you would get that problem.
tear it back down, take the rotors to the local auto parts store and have them turned, check the pins. remove the dust boots from the caliper frame and slide the pins out. if they all slide out then the problems else where. but ima bet its the pins.

also, unless you removed the brake line from the caliper, bleeding wouldn't have been an issue because the system wouldn't have had air introduced to it.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chicagoam
I did grease the slider pins on the rear calipers, however, the front calipers did not appear tom have pins that slid (or they were stuck in place). The bolts that hold the front caliper bracket to the main caliper body had a little grease on them, but that's it. Does the front calipers actually have slider pins?
Yep....reason I asked was because the PO forgot to grease mine and the slider pins got fused to the bracket. $300 later I had an entirely new brake system lol.

Shoulda upgraded to the Brembos or C5s when I had the chance. <_<
Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. Gonna break the calipers down and try and get those pins free. Think they may be fused. Hope not. Don't have $300 to spare (that's why I tried to replace pads myself, lol). Will also get rotors turned, and will update progress when done.

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
Yep....reason I asked was because the PO forgot to grease mine and the slider pins got fused to the bracket. $300 later I had an entirely new brake system lol.

Shoulda upgraded to the Brembos or C5s when I had the chance. <_<
Pins are indeed frozen in place. Inspected old pads, inside pad worn down, outside (bracket) pad nearly same thickness as new. Going to get 2 new brackets and sets of pins (already got lube).
Thanks again for all the help guys, really appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

No prob man, always glad to help.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Your trying to get the rotors turned? I was under the impression they are too thin to have turned. You would be better off getting a cheap set of rotors then trying to have your old ones turned...sounds like you warped them pretty bad.

For one it will be more prone to crack and second you may have developed hard spots on the rotor from the excessive overheating you created with the dragging brakes Which will eventually be warped again much easier(can happen within a few thousand miles). Just something to think about and not to mention potentially save you some time, headache, and money in the long run.

Quick Reply: Vibration while braking