Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

c5 big brake kit- not performing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow c5 big brake kit- not performing

I did a big brake kit around a year and a half ago, and they do not brake any better than the stockers..

the thing that brought this to my attention is riding in my friends 89 iroc with the same conversion. His car brakes like a dream, and mine still feels stock.. i have some nice hawk pads (cant remember the exact ones) as well as some nice slotted rotors(cant remember brand.. but no where near ebay crap). it also has braided lines and amsoil brake fluid...

any guesses as why its not performing up to par?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bumpp for input
Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C5 brakes are not considered an upgrade. Stopping distance on a c5 is worse than an fbody

That being said you should bleed the lines and inspect your pads and rotors to check for unusual wear.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
C5 brakes are not considered an upgrade. Stopping distance on a c5 is worse than an fbody

That being said you should bleed the lines and inspect your pads and rotors to check for unusual wear.
Well mine was a lt1 fbody, so it was less than a ls1... so there should of been a increase of some kind... the brakes have been bled 2ce just to make sure it was not that
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Launching!

From what I've read, you'll notice the biggest difference on the track or road course. The rotors are a bit bigger and are able to handle more heat.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UMM...c5s have great brakes and the car weighs considerably less. They do way better than f-bodys

LT1: single piston caliper with 10.7" rotor
LS1: dual piston caliper with 11.9" rotor
C5: dual piston caliper with 13" rotor

C5's
I agree with this, sounds like there may be some air trapped somewhere in the system (maybe in the ABS block?)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Batman
UMM...c5s have great brakes and the car weighs considerably less. They do way better than f-bodys

LT1: single piston caliper with 10.7" rotor
LS1: dual piston caliper with 11.9" rotor
C5: dual piston caliper with 13" rotor

C5's

I agree with this, sounds like there may be some air trapped somewhere in the system (maybe in the ABS block?)
we deleted the abs for the turbo. we ran the brakes with and without the bblock.. performs the same.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the C6 BBK (hawks metallic pads/DBA slotted rotors/SS brake lines/motul brake fluid), it's more or less the same as the C5 kit and mine performs well. You have to make sure there isn't any air in the line. Once there isn't any air anymore, the brake feel will be really FIRM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bene
I have the C6 BBK (hawks metallic pads/DBA slotted rotors/SS brake lines/motul brake fluid), it's more or less the same as the C5 kit and mine performs well. You have to make sure there isn't any air in the line. Once there isn't any air anymore, the brake feel will be really FIRM.
could have anything to do with the master cylinder? like i said, we did it once then bled the whole system again and changed the fluid to see if it would do anything... i feel like thats not the issue, but it could be

Quick Reply: c5 big brake kit- not performing