Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace brake shoes on E-brake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

[quote=Wiz02;16988438I have a torn boot on driver's side, but the parking brake is working OK. Kind of hurts to pay that much and do that much work for a boot, but I am replacing rear rotors, shoes and brake hoses so everything is open[/quote]

See the two posts above. The boots only are available through RMS. $15 for the pair.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exclamation

I've done this on my Trans Am. My guess is the previous owner drove around with the parking brake on, as more than half the lining was gone and the lever always pulled up quite high. Replacing the shoes rectified that and the larger problem of the car being able to move with the E-brake on.

Though no one has mentioned it, I had to remove the axle shafts to take off the [horse] shoes. The problem is that the shoes make almost a complete loop, with only enough gap to squeeze in the starwheel adjuster. The axle flange is much too big to fit through the gap. I might have been able to bend and yank the old ones off, but I wasn't about to do that to the brand new ones.

Luckily I was due for a diff fluid change, so I combined the two repairs as you must open the diff cover to remove the axle retaining C-clips. My car has 4-channel ABS due to the traction control, so maybe my case is different from those who posted before me. Just the same, I believe it's a requisite warning for you before replacing parking brake shoes.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Though no one has mentioned it, I had to remove the axle shafts to take off the [horse] shoes. The problem is that the shoes make almost a complete loop, with only enough gap to squeeze in the starwheel adjuster. The axle flange is much too big to fit through the gap. I might have been able to bend and yank the old ones off, but I wasn't about to do that to the brand new ones.
Doah!

An offset screw driver will get the clip off w/o needing to take the axles out. It's a PITA but I was able to get the screw out in two minutes:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ics-parts.html
Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Doah!

An offset screw driver will get the clip off w/o needing to take the axles out. It's a PITA but I was able to get the screw out in two minutes:
The screw was not the problem. Getting the shoes over the axle shafts was. I tried every which way to bend them around the flange and it was not happening. That video makes it look easy, but in reality, and from my experience, you'll permanently bend your shoes if you force them over the axle flange. I did not want to do that.

Maybe if I'd seen that video my technique would have been better, but it's not as if I just gave up after a few minutes. I tried until I was satisfied that they would definitely not come off that way.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are still looking for the parking brake dust boots, I have some. RMS, the place that only had them before is no longer in business but I have a set available and can get more.

Quick Reply: How to replace brake shoes on E-brake?