Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How can I lower the front about 1"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How can I lower the front about 1"

Like the title says i'd like to lower the front of my 2002 camaro about an inch. I did the heater hose when i installed my new rear end, because i thought with the larger axle tubes it would sit to high. The rear actually sits about right but i'd like to slightly lower the front if possible.

Is there an easy way to cheaply and easily lower the front just a bit but with out cutting or installing different springs? Sorta like what the heater hose did for the rear?

I remember back in the day they use to put spacers betwen the coils to make the front sit higher, could i simply install a clamp on two or three sides of the coil spring that would compress it a bit to bring the front down?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to go with a no. Cutting the springs would be the cheapest if you do it right. In before all the cut spring haters ruin your thread.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

The car had cut springs on it when i got it, and i put stock ones back in. however it was lowered like 2.5" from cut springs. It rode and drove horrible!

There is no way to modify the upper or lower spring mount to give it more room and let car sit slightly lower? If not i might try my clamping method on the spring, that or simply put the stock spring rubber mount back in the rear so it is level.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had 1 coil cut out of the front and 1 1/2 cut out of the rear and it sat perfect and rode like stock. The reason why yours rode like crap with the previous cut springs is because too much was cut.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can run BMR's lower A-arms. A bit pricey but I've heard great reviews
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=841
Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
My car had 1 coil cut out of the front and 1 1/2 cut out of the rear and it sat perfect and rode like stock. The reason why yours rode like crap with the previous cut springs is because too much was cut.
Your probably right. I can't remember when i compared them to the stock springs but they were cut a lot.

how much does cutting one coil off lower the ride height? With cutting one coil out you can't tell any difference in how it drives or handles? If i did it I'd probably only do like half a coil at first.

I have also been debating waiting till i put the lq9 engine in, cause the extra 100 pounds along with the procharger might make the front sit where i want it.... not sure how much that extra weight will change it.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If your wanting to lower an inch in the front bmr has some front springs that are advertised as a 1.25" drop. They sale them by their selves so you might consider them. Just food for thought
Old 07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
how much does cutting one coil off lower the ride height? With cutting one coil out you can't tell any difference in how it drives or handles? If i did it I'd probably only do like half a coil at first. I have also been debating waiting till i put the lq9 engine in, cause the extra 100 pounds along with the procharger might make the front sit where i want it.... not sure how much that extra weight will change it.
Every car is different, but cutting 3/4 to one full coil will get you where you want. But I agree that the extra weight is going to make a difference. I wouldn't do anything until the the new engine combo is installed. Just going from a steel hood to an aftermarket fiberglass hood made a big difference on my 01 T/A.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
If your wanting to lower an inch in the front bmr has some front springs that are advertised as a 1.25" drop. They sale them by their selves so you might consider them. Just food for thought
This is exactly what I would do. Better off in the long run that cutting springs
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Like the title says i'd like to lower the front of my 2002 camaro about an inch. I did the heater hose when i installed my new rear end, because i thought with the larger axle tubes it would sit to high. The rear actually sits about right but i'd like to slightly lower the front if possible.

Is there an easy way to cheaply and easily lower the front just a bit but with out cutting or installing different springs? Sorta like what the heater hose did for the rear?

I remember back in the day they use to put spacers betwen the coils to make the front sit higher, could i simply install a clamp on two or three sides of the coil spring that would compress it a bit to bring the front down?
There are a couple ways you can go about lowering the car an 1" in the front. The first way which is the cheapest and easiest way would be lowering springs. Our BMR lowering springs are rated at 1.25" so they are a little more than you are looking for but would still do the job. The second way would be to use our BMR lowering a-arms which would lower the car 1" if it had the factory springs up front. Either way will get it done. If there is anything we can help you out with let me know.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I got to looking at the car again and measure wheel well heights. Front is 28 1/4" and rear is 27 3/4" so i really only need to drop the front maybe .5 to .75 of an inch. I have never seen lowering springs to lower the front that much...

If i did cut the front springs (i realy hate to do that). how much would i need to cut off to change it that much? maybe a half coil?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Koni single adjustables, lower perch?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
Koni single adjustables, lower perch?
That's the route I took on my A4 car - cost me $550 IIRC. On my 01 T/A, I cut 1/2 coil, got me the 1/2" drop I needed - FREE.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I like the idea of a lower perch. If i ever wanted to go back to stock i still can, and it shouldn't affect ride quality as you aren't messing with the springs.

Anyone make a lowering perch? I can do it myself but would save me lots of time having one already made.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Koni SA front shocks are built in with a slot to seat the spring perch about 3/4 inch lower. If you were hell bent on saving cash, then just getting fronts would be cheaper than all 4.

Cutting springs will only yield you a 1 inch drop if you do it exactly right, aka perfect length of cut coil. Do some homework first before taking this route.

Quick Reply: How can I lower the front about 1"