Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My rear springs/shocks are crapped out. What are my adjustable and/or air options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My rear springs/shocks are crapped out. What are my adjustable and/or air options?

I've known for a while my rear suspension sounded like crap especially when I would hit a bump too hard, or accelerate way too fast it would make a lot of noise. Well the other day I was walking back to my car, '98 Trans Am btw, and came walking from the passenger side and noticed my tire had a noticeable "rut" all the way around it. It seems like my car is bottoming out so bad or something when I hit bumps causing the rear tires to actually hit the wheel wells as paint is rubbed off and the ruts in the tires now!

Since I'm going to be replacing these parts. I want to have adjustable suspension (eventually front too, but focusing on rear now only due to budget and it being messed up now). I have many reasons, but basically I want to be able to adjust the height from a nice lowered look, to up high on the go? Is there a bolt in kit to do this? I can only seem to find stuff for trucks, and not exactly entirely sure what all I need to do so?...thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Bump for help.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

I think there are only two options for adjustable rear height, coil over conversion or the Ground control springs with adjusters.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sssalah
I think there are only two options for adjustable rear height, coil over conversion or the Ground control springs with adjusters.
I don't know what either one of those are, (I thought air as I mentioned above was possible..? but I can only find truck kits) are they adjustable on the go?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I vote air......jack that bitch up!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix
I've known for a while my rear suspension sounded like crap especially when I would hit a bump too hard, or accelerate way too fast it would make a lot of noise. Well the other day I was walking back to my car, '98 Trans Am btw, and came walking from the passenger side and noticed my tire had a noticeable "rut" all the way around it. It seems like my car is bottoming out so bad or something when I hit bumps causing the rear tires to actually hit the wheel wells as paint is rubbed off and the ruts in the tires now!

Since I'm going to be replacing these parts. I want to have adjustable suspension (eventually front too, but focusing on rear now only due to budget and it being messed up now). I have many reasons, but basically I want to be able to adjust the height from a nice lowered look, to up high on the go? Is there a bolt in kit to do this? I can only seem to find stuff for trucks, and not exactly entirely sure what all I need to do so?...thanks in advance!
Wait, before you do anything what wheels/tires do you have?
Did you check to see if you have any bumpstops in the rear?

As for the adjustable ride height, do you realize that anytime you adjust the height you will need to adjust the alignment as well? (especially the front, the rear you will just need an adjustable PHB to center the axle).

Another thing, what do you use the car for, and what type (if any) of racing/hard driving do you do? Do you care about ride quality?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had Gabriel Hi-Jackers on my car since 2004. I run
them with zero pressure, with hose-mod stock springs and
-1" Hotchkiss springs up front. That's got an ideal height
and rake in my opinion. I used the Gabriels with air, on the
Hotchkiss rears, for a while, but stock+hose is a better fit
and a better ride.

I did not need to adjust my Panhard at -1" drop. Still dead
center.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sssalah
I had a similar problem. Air bags were a cheap, easy, and adjustable fix. About $60 with a lifetime warranty. I also called for warranty on my dad's 10 year old install in his front motor home springs and they shipped a new set right away, no questions asked. They sell direct.
http://www.airliftcompany.com/
Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Wait, before you do anything what wheels/tires do you have?
Did you check to see if you have any bumpstops in the rear?

As for the adjustable ride height, do you realize that anytime you adjust the height you will need to adjust the alignment as well? (especially the front, the rear you will just need an adjustable PHB to center the axle).

Another thing, what do you use the car for, and what type (if any) of racing/hard driving do you do? Do you care about ride quality?
I don't know if I have bumpstops in the rear? I'm a rookie to all this so I figured it was shocks/springs in the rear going out?

How do the guys with air bag setups/etc methods that do it on the go at a whim get away with it? Or they apparently driving horribly aligned vehicles all the time?

I use the car mainly as a daily driver as it's my only car. I've taken it to the track once and want to race, but for right now it's main duties is daily driving to/from school, work, etc a lot. Yes I care about ride quality. I just want a way to adjust the height on the go for when I come up on things like steep driveways/etc. Plus it would be nice to have the vehicle sit at a higher height in say winter when I want it to clear snow better to not risk ripping ground effects/bumpers off since once again this is my daily driver.

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I have had Gabriel Hi-Jackers on my car since 2004. I run
them with zero pressure, with hose-mod stock springs and
-1" Hotchkiss springs up front. That's got an ideal height
and rake in my opinion. I used the Gabriels with air, on the
Hotchkiss rears, for a while, but stock+hose is a better fit
and a better ride.

I did not need to adjust my Panhard at -1" drop. Still dead
center.
I just googled what those are. That seems like it may be the route I'll go. It sucks its not literally on the "go" like an air bag system is in the event I'd want to avoid a steep driveway and would need to be dependent on an air compressor (or gas station with air pump) to change the height, but may be my solution to my winter problem above and the fact I can't seem to find an air bag kit so far.

Originally Posted by Vexzer
I had a similar problem. Air bags were a cheap, easy, and adjustable fix. About $60 with a lifetime warranty. I also called for warranty on my dad's 10 year old install in his front motor home springs and they shipped a new set right away, no questions asked. They sell direct.
http://www.airliftcompany.com/
I tried looking at that website but my anti-virus went crazy on that site blocking it..? Any links to other retailers who sell the air bag kit you have? What all did you have to do to have air bags on a T/A?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a note - the original complaint is about noise. This
might just be the various bushings needing greased. I've
had to do it, everybody should eventually. I like to use
engine assembly lube which is graphite-loaded grease.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically everyone is recommending he put in air bags that prevent much suspension travel or just raising the back end up, while accepting what he might have as a tire clearance issue?

I'm interested in all the questions JD AMG asked. You might have another solution that will allow you to keep your suspension travel
Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix
I don't know if I have bumpstops in the rear? I'm a rookie to all this so I figured it was shocks/springs in the rear going out?
It could be, but don't go spending money you may not need to if the problem is really something else.
Your rear bumpstops will be mounted to your inner wheel wells, they are the yellow triangle in this pic:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...r-img_4334.jpg
These prevent the axle from comming up too far and hitting something else (exhaust possibly).
Also you never answered what wheels/tires you have on the car? Are they stock? Are the tires oversized?

How do the guys with air bag setups/etc methods that do it on the go at a whim get away with it? Or they apparently driving horribly aligned vehicles all the time?
(If I understand what you are asking) I assume people have a set ride height they drive at (which they have their car aligned to) and then when parked (like at a car show) they just simply drop the car. Then raise it back up to that pre-set height to drive again. Either that or they are just driving around with bad alignments.
The guys with coilovers for racing get the car to the desired height, align it, and then leave it. If they decide to change the height again they just realign it.
I use the car mainly as a daily driver as it's my only car. I've taken it to the track once and want to race, but for right now it's main duties is daily driving to/from school, work, etc a lot. Yes I care about ride quality. I just want a way to adjust the height on the go for when I come up on things like steep driveways/etc. Plus it would be nice to have the vehicle sit at a higher height in say winter when I want it to clear snow better to not risk ripping ground effects/bumpers off since once again this is my daily driver.
I see. Im asking because there are many different setups out there that are all very different. An adjustable drag coilover (QA1, Afco, Strange etc) is not going to ride well, nor handle well but will help weight transfer and get you to launch well, while a sport/handling coilover (KW, race bilstien, [your choice of shock] with ground control adjustable sleeves) will leave you with amazing handling and great ride quality but not as great launching ability as a drag shock.
As far as adjusting on the fly goes, you may want to look into what JasonWW has done:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trans-am.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...cks-350-a.html
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Just a note - the original complaint is about noise. This
might just be the various bushings needing greased. I've
had to do it, everybody should eventually. I like to use
engine assembly lube which is graphite-loaded grease.
While it may be that also and I'll look into greasing everything up when I go to probably those Gabriel shocks eventually as they look neat, but the real issue is what I said after the noise which is the fact my tires are getting cut into with ruts from hitting the fenders.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
It could be, but don't go spending money you may not need to if the problem is really something else.
Your rear bumpstops will be mounted to your inner wheel wells, they are the yellow triangle in this pic:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...r-img_4334.jpg
These prevent the axle from comming up too far and hitting something else (exhaust possibly).
Also you never answered what wheels/tires you have on the car? Are they stock? Are the tires oversized?

(If I understand what you are asking) I assume people have a set ride height they drive at (which they have their car aligned to) and then when parked (like at a car show) they just simply drop the car. Then raise it back up to that pre-set height to drive again. Either that or they are just driving around with bad alignments.
The guys with coilovers for racing get the car to the desired height, align it, and then leave it. If they decide to change the height again they just realign it.

I see. Im asking because there are many different setups out there that are all very different. An adjustable drag coilover (QA1, Afco, Strange etc) is not going to ride well, nor handle well but will help weight transfer and get you to launch well, while a sport/handling coilover (KW, race bilstien, [your choice of shock] with ground control adjustable sleeves) will leave you with amazing handling and great ride quality but not as great launching ability as a drag shock.
As far as adjusting on the fly goes, you may want to look into what JasonWW has done:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trans-am.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...cks-350-a.html
Thanks for all the info, and sorry I missed the wheel/tire question the first time. I have the chrome "ABS" Firebird wheels on, and I believe they're 255/60/16 tires which all that is definitely not oversized so I'm definitely having something go out. I'm hopefully replacing my front brakes this weekend so I'll take the rear wheels while I'm at it to see if it's the bumpstops that are out.

Quick Reply: My rear springs/shocks are crapped out. What are my adjustable and/or air options?