Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poor Straight Line Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012 | 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Default Poor Straight Line Tracking

I find myself twitching the steering wheel back and forth constantly when driving a straight line on the highway. The TA has 235k miles on it. I have a new rack with all new tie rod ends, new strano springs with billsteins and new double adjustable panhard bar.

I need some ideas on what other parts could be causing this. Front control arm bushings are still the originals.

TIA
Old 08-22-2012 | 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What tires do you have, and have you had the alignment checked recently?
Old 08-22-2012 | 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Latch
What tires do you have, and have you had the alignment checked recently?
I have Firestone Firehawk Wide Indy Ovals and yes they aligned the front end after I installed the rack.
Old 08-22-2012 | 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have the alignment spec sheet from after they aligned it? We want to know
Camber
Caster
Toe

Are the tires worn out on the inside and/or outside edge?
Old 08-22-2012 | 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
I find myself twitching the steering wheel back and forth constantly when driving a straight line on the highway. The TA has 235k miles on it. I have a new rack with all new tie rod ends, new strano springs with billsteins and new double adjustable panhard bar.

I need some ideas on what other parts could be causing this. Front control arm bushings are still the originals.

TIA
This is probably the issue.
Old 08-22-2012 | 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This is probably the issue.
Good catch.
Old 08-22-2012 | 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Thanks guys .... time for new bushings.
Old 08-23-2012 | 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Rubber has an expiration date. I feel that any factory rubber bushing should be replaced on F-bodies at this point. It's also a good time to upgrade. ;-) haha
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-23-2012 | 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Kevin, what specific rubber parts do you recommend replacing?
Old 08-23-2012 | 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Kevin, what specific rubber parts do you recommend replacing?
The lower A-arms probably have the most important bushings that need to be replaced. I say this because they probably see the most action/stress over the years. One of those bushings operates its entire life in bind, which is why we only offer our A-arms with a rod-end/poly combo. When these go out, it can impact tire wear, handling, and alignment. The uppers don't go out like the lowers will, but they still need to be replaced too. From there, I would replace the rear lower control arm bushings, rear panhard bar bushings, the torque arm bushing, always upper shock mounts - especially when you're looking to change shocks.

A good rule of thumb is to take a look at your bumpstops...if those have started to fail and crumble, there is a good chance other rubber parts on the car that are not too far off.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-26-2012 | 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
The lower A-arms probably have the most important bushings that need to be replaced. I say this because they probably see the most action/stress over the years. One of those bushings operates its entire life in bind, which is why we only offer our A-arms with a rod-end/poly combo. When these go out, it can impact tire wear, handling, and alignment. The uppers don't go out like the lowers will, but they still need to be replaced too. From there, I would replace the rear lower control arm bushings, rear panhard bar bushings, the torque arm bushing, always upper shock mounts - especially when you're looking to change shocks.

A good rule of thumb is to take a look at your bumpstops...if those have started to fail and crumble, there is a good chance other rubber parts on the car that are not too far off.

- Kevin
Thanks Kevin,

I swapped the bump stops (they were chewed to hell) when I did the shocks/springs as well as the rear control arms, panhard bar, front shock mounts. Don't recall it wondering as much as it does now until after I replaced the rack and outter tie rod ends. Wondering if I didn't torque them down enough .... hmmm ... not to say I don't need to do the A-arms and any other parts that you mentioned.
Old 09-08-2012 | 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Default Poor Straight Line Tracking SOLVED!!

Well this morning I swapped out all 4 of my end links (they were shot) ... stockers at 235k. While at it and on a whim .... I checked the torque on my outer tie rod ends .... and they were at 20ft lbs (I swapped them out when I put my rack on recently. I torqued them to 30 ft/lbs. I drove it in to work today and on the highway the straight like tracking is spot on.

While at it, I put my Founders rear LCAs back on. I'm still on the fence about the poly. I can feel the difference and not for the better - but that is another thread.
Old 09-10-2012 | 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Glad to hear you're tracking straight now! That's great.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Poor Straight Line Tracking