Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Would a tubular LCA with Rubber Bushings allow for some articulation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Would a tubular LCA with Rubber Bushings allow for some articulation?

Maybe articulation is the wrong word to use in this case but after further in-depth reading, being that the LCA's need some "movement" I opted for UMI's Roto/Poly LCA. For the most part they are great but get somewhat noisy during deceleration or braking. I'm thinking of fabricating my own tubular LCA's with rubber bushings for less bind and more predictability around corners.

I am not a full out auto-cross guy or straight-line dragster but I feel this would be a happy medium for my goals:

- More predictability around corners
- Quieter
- Slightly softer in ride quality

That being said, the UMI poly/roto IS a happy medium but my tastes have shifted to more of a quieter/comfortable ride.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh, and welding a piece on top of stock LCA's and replacing the bushings with Moog's is not a viable option for me. For some reason my wheels are pushed forward in the wheel well so I have to fab up an adjustable LCA.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then use stock LCA's. What's the point of using the tubular style with rubber bushings when you can use stock?

Edit.. oops I missed the part where you need adjustment.

Last edited by z28bryan; 09-05-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

BMR offers rubber bushings that will likely meet your goals...a little stiffer than stock, but still allow articulation.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've be using my DKT LCA with Currie Johnny Joints, there quiet/not noisy at all they have 2 Urethane bushing halfs per end , you will need spacers/washers about 3/16" thick to bolt them up.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Are those roto style joints not an option?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I've be using my DKT LCA with Currie Johnny Joints, there quiet/not noisy at all they have 2 Urethane bushing halfs per end , you will need spacers/washers about 3/16" thick to bolt them up.
He already has LCAs with roto-joints, which are very similar to Johnny Joints. He found what I found...quiet for a while, but definitely get noisy after a while. Some people can tolerate the additional noise, but there are others like me that tend to focus on stuff like that, and it drives us up the wall.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Are those roto style joints not an option?
Doubtful since that's what he's trying to replace.

They are definitely an option if you don't mind the additional noise...they are not quite rod-end noisy, but they aren't quiet like rubber bushings either.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Maybe articulation is the wrong word to use in this case but after further in-depth reading, being that the LCA's need some "movement" I opted for UMI's Roto/Poly LCA. For the most part they are great but get somewhat noisy during deceleration or braking. I'm thinking of fabricating my own tubular LCA's with rubber bushings for less bind and more predictability around corners.

I am not a full out auto-cross guy or straight-line dragster but I feel this would be a happy medium for my goals:

- More predictability around corners
- Quieter
- Slightly softer in ride quality

That being said, the UMI poly/roto IS a happy medium but my tastes have shifted to more of a quieter/comfortable ride.
You can buy your own swedge tubes, and then buy rubber ends. Two companies, Howe and UB machines, sell LH/RH ends with rubber bushings. They come in 5/8" and 3/4" through hole though, so you will need to open up the 1/2" hole on the body side, and probably the axle side. I can't recall the hole size at the axle.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Then use stock LCA's. What's the point of using the tubular style with rubber bushings when you can use stock?

Edit.. oops I missed the part where you need adjustment.
+1

I had Founders Performance NA LCA with poly bushings...no articulation, lotsa harshness and loss of grip so i went back to stock.

I do about 10-15 autox events a year so i need traction quickly...

Would the stock rubber bushing (or any rubber bushing for that matter) fit inside the a roto-joint assembly?...Those roto joints can be taken apart if i'm not mistaken so might be an option assuming the stock rubber fits or can be made to fit ....
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by brigade24
+1

I had Founders Performance NA LCA with poly bushings...no articulation, lotsa harshness and loss of grip so i went back to stock.

I do about 10-15 autox events a year so i need traction quickly...

Would the stock rubber bushing (or any rubber bushing for that matter) fit inside the a roto-joint assembly?...Those roto joints can be taken apart if i'm not mistaken so might be an option assuming the stock rubber fits or can be made to fit ....
If your looking for a poly control arm that allows great articulation I would recommend our swivel joint arm.

http://www.foundersperformance.com/p...mbination.html

Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

rubber and articulation......is that a oxymoron?

i have johnny joints AND the larger bolt mod...........NO noise
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the JJs work great!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, the JJs work great!
Which is what our swivel joint basically is.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've be using my DKT LCA with Currie Johnny Joints, they're quiet/not noisy at all they have 2 Urethane bushing halfs per end , you will need spacers/washers about 3/16" thick to bolt them up.
I bought a set of the DKT's and didn't need any spacers at all. From what I was told, Devin was getting Currie to make the rotos specially for him, in a size that would exactly fit in the F-body location. However, as a couple of people have mentioned, they can be a little noisy. The problem I ran into, living in the snow belt, is that the roads around here are so beat up, the DKTs didn't have enough "give" in order to provide a reasonable ride.

I took the DKTs off after a couple of months, and actually would like to sell them...
Old 09-07-2012, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I built my own w/ Moog solid rubber bushings.....

Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Is there anything that Batman can do to somehow fix the wheel tire location issue and retain the use of stock LCAs?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Is there anything that Batman can do to somehow fix the wheel tire location issue and retain the use of stock LCAs?
I doubt it....

There was a similar "situation" on the '94-'96 Impala SSs, and the solution was longer control arms.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
I built my own w/ Moog solid rubber bushings.....

That looks really good but is the tubular arm welded on the sleeve of the Moog bushing? I worry about it being strong enough for the forces acted on the sleeve.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
That looks really good but is the tubular arm welded on the sleeve of the Moog bushing? I worry about it being strong enough for the forces acted on the sleeve.
I see what "hiltsy" did, and it's somewhat similar to a pair of LCAs I made up shortly before I retired (and lost my access to a machine shop). Simply, you purchase some thick walled steel tubing and lathe cut it to accept the Moog bushing. After you weld everything up, you press in the bushing like you would do to the OE LCA. In "hiltsy"s case, he went a step further than I did, and made them adjustable.(excellent idea) I simply made mine to "OE length".
Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Why not just get the parts to put together the adjustable rubber bushing at both ends? You got more adjustment that way and don't have to mess with welding

Quick Reply: Would a tubular LCA with Rubber Bushings allow for some articulation?