Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA valving vs bilstein HD

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Koni SA valving vs bilstein HD

I'm in the market for some new shocks for an 02 ws6 I just picked up and came up with 2 more questions. I talked to Sam Strano a few days ago and he was super helpful in helping me out with some questions I had but a new one came up and I hate to bug him again. So here's the question. Ive read on here that a lot of folks compare the front HDs to how a koni SA feels on full soft. Since the SA's only adjust the rebound what's the comparision on damping? For the record I've ran the konis with LT1 eibach pros on both perches and also tried the stock springs. Not to mention numerous different settings and tire pressures trying to dial it in to my liking and 2 different wheel and tire combos. I personally like how the stock ride was and only lowered for looks.

Now before anyone flames me for wanting the best of both worlds I fully understand that a lower ride height will sacrifice some of the OEM comfortability for better handling. My goal is to try a new setup for a CLOSER to stock feel with a little better appearance.

FWIW the car is a DD only and won't see any track time. Also considering ditching the eibachs (progressive) for Sams springs(linear). Sam made a good point that even though the eibachs are progressive, which most consider a smoother ride on initial compression, that once installed on the car the eibachs compress to the point that a few of the coils are out of play. Basically leaving you with less perceived spring travel. That was a good point I had never thought about.

If you read this sam thanks again for the help and count on another order coming your way!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned Strano revalved Bilsteins (revalves in front, and I think HDs in the rear?) with Ground Control adjustable perches...400 lb/in springs up front, 125 lb/in out back. The ride was good, but I wanted to go a little stiffer since I liked having my car a bit lower than Sam recommended with that setup. I went with Koni SAs and Sam's springs the second time around, and the ride was much more controlled with the Konis, which was surprising to me considering the substantial increase in spring rates.

If Sam's springs were available the first time around, I would have done that, but he didn't offer them when I first bought everything. So consider this advice: do it once, do it right. Pay a little more up front for the Stranos and Konis, and that might keep you from having to do it over like I did. Spending money twice for the same damn parts is dumber than two boys in a hot tub.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention I no longer have the konis.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Koni's i got the bilstiens and i dislike em. when they were new yeah pretty good. but now not so much.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else have any input on the damping difference.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought this thread would have received a little more attention than this. So anyone out there can you give me some specs on the damping difference between the konis and the bilsteins?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Ok, for the record ... I swapped out my front Bilsteins for Koni's on the lower perch because after doing the heater hose mod in the rear, my car had a "reverse rake." Stock springs. I immediately noticed two things: Even on a mild setting (three sweeps from full soft) the Konis had much better rebound control than the Bilsteins. They also increased impact harshness considerably.

My SOTP tells me that the Konis have much stronger compression valving than the Bilsteins, and that can't be adjusted unlike the rebound. Bilsteins, although much better than stock, are softer and yield a much more comfy ride.

So it depends on what you want. If the roads are rough where you live, and you're not into canyon carving, but want to lower the car a little and preserve a nice ride, I recommend cutting the stock springs up front and using the Bilsteins. If you want ultimate handling, Konis are the way to go with good aftermarket springs like Stranos.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for!

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Ok, for the record ... I swapped out my front Bilsteins for Koni's on the lower perch because after doing the heater hose mod in the rear, my car had a "reverse rake." Stock springs. I immediately noticed two things: Even on a mild setting (three sweeps from full soft) the Konis had much better rebound control than the Bilsteins. They also increased impact harshness considerably.

My SOTP tells me that the Konis have much stronger compression valving than the Bilsteins, and that can't be adjusted unlike the rebound. Bilsteins, although much better than stock, are softer and yield a much more comfy ride.

So it depends on what you want. If the roads are rough where you live, and you're not into canyon carving, but want to lower the car a little and preserve a nice ride, I recommend cutting the stock springs up front and using the Bilsteins. If you want ultimate handling, Konis are the way to go with good aftermarket springs like Stranos.

Quick Reply: Koni SA valving vs bilstein HD