Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
No I too have been waiting for awhile to upgrade my stock sway bars because I hear how much better the car feels afterwards.

And the time is near in the next few months to purchase, I'm just blown away that one sway bar to another can make such a difference, must be pieces of unicorn in the Strano ones
No magic, simple mechanics at play here.
Notice the sizes of the swaybars, Spohn are 32mm front(stock size for SS/WS6 cars), 22mm rear (stock is 19mm rear, and well balanced, so this bar is too big compared to the front and will cause oversteer [all else equal]).
Strano bars are 35mm front/22mm rear, arguably a perfect balanced set (when running same size tires front and rear, and proper spring rates).
The UMI bars are basically solid versions of the Strano bars.
Some other use 35mm front and 25mm rear bars, again the rear bar is too big and will make the car tend to oversteer.

No I believe I will be doing Strano too after reading this. Just need to figure out how to paint them red.

Plus, I all ready bought BMR springs in the past (Red) and now looking back I wish I got Strano's which come in only white. What gives with the color choices? lol
Just paint them, no big deal.
As for the color choices Sam said he went with white springs because no one else had white, that way his wont get mixed up with others (red, blue, purple, black).
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
No magic, simple mechanics at play here.
Notice the sizes of the swaybars, Spohn are 32mm front(stock size for SS/WS6 cars), 22mm rear (stock is 19mm rear, and well balanced, so this bar is too big compared to the front and will cause oversteer [all else equal]).
Strano bars are 35mm front/22mm rear, arguably a perfect balanced set (when running same size tires front and rear, and proper spring rates).
Some other use 35mm front and 25mm rear bars, again the rear bar is too big and will make the car tend to oversteer.

Just paint them, no big deal.
As for the color choices Sam said he went with white springs because no one else had white, that way his wont get mixed up with others (red, blue, purple, black).
Damn, thanks man. I appreciate the info I had no idea, makes sense though.

So would you say the UMI Sway Bars are in close comparison with the Strano? Or would you still go with the Strano sways because it being hollow is an advantage over the UMIs?

Oh and I see why he chose white now lol
Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I too have been waiting for awhile to upgrade my stock sway bars because I hear how much better the car feels afterwards.

And the time is near in the next few months to purchase, I'm just blown away that one sway bar to another can make such a difference, must be pieces of unicorn in the Strano ones

No I believe I will be doing Strano too after reading this. Just need to figure out how to paint them red.

Plus, I all ready bought BMR springs in the past (Red) and now looking back I wish I got Strano's which come in only white. What gives with the color choices? lol
I just spent the money and got Sam's bars powdercoated red, same as the rest of my suspension upgrades.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I like my white springs
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Raoul- Yea I didn't think that from one bar to another would make a big difference, but i'm hear to tell you that it does. Stranos on Spohns are by far a big difference.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm actually prolly buying Strano springs from a buddy as well. After that I plan on buying a poly/roto adjustable LCAS, to get rid of these horrible Poly/poly LCAs i have now.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00transamws6
Raoul- Yea I didn't think that from one bar to another would make a big difference, but i'm hear to tell you that it does. Stranos on Spohns are by far a big difference.
I'm actually prolly buying Strano springs from a buddy as well. After that I plan on buying a poly/roto adjustable LCAS, to get rid of these horrible Poly/poly LCAs i have now.
Are Strano Springs also that much better when comapred to BMR?

Thanks man, good to hear. I am definitely going Strano on the sways.

I also too am plagued by poly/poly lca's, what brand of lca's are you going with out of curiosity?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I know Stranos are the best. They are very similar to the BMRs but are slightly different and have 14 national championships to back up their effectiveness. Sam is such a great guy I'd rather support a small business man anyways.

I'm going with UMI adjustable Poly/Roto. Actually my buddy that is getting rid of his Strano bars may be giving up these too, so half price for those.

Where is the city u from?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I know Stranos are the best. They are very similar to the BMRs but are slightly different and have 14 national championships to back up their effectiveness. Sam is such a great guy I'd rather support a small business man anyways.

I'm going with UMI adjustable Poly/Roto. Actually my buddy that is getting rid of his Strano bars may be giving up these too, so half price for those.

Where is the city u from?
Cool cool, jw'n. So your buddy is getting rid of his Strano sway bars?

I think I'm doing UMI as well once I switch my rear this Spring. Just noticed, "C-Wood". Crestwood??

I live in Burbank.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

No he is keeping his sway bars just changing a couple of things. What rear are you going with? Yea Crestwood it is, ur 10mins from me.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chewybacca11
Sam... are you saying to leave the rear stiffness the way it is to make the car respond in a two step kind of way? Or are you saying don't do that because it would be bad? I didn't really understand your post... I'm looking into getting your sway bars as well and I'm trying to understand... uh... well everything I can I guess haha!

Anywho... can you elaborate a little? Thanks
A stock rear bar is too soft compared to my front. The result is a lot less roll in front, still a lot in the rear, which make the rear lag behind. The front will roll X amount, the rear some amount more (which also takes longer, so if you are going to try that it's critical you are on Koni's so the damping can help with the roll rate).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Aight guys so had the car in at Straightline Performance to rebuild the trans. While the car was in the shop decided to have them install the Strano bars. Got the car back today, but was only able to drive it for a couple hours. I could immediately feel the car was much more balanced. Normal street driving I could tell a difference compared to the Spohn bars. The real difference came when I was on an entrance ramp for the highway. This is always when my car felt the worse. My daily driver offered more confidence enter the same highway. With the Strano bars, it was a big difference. The terrible oversteer feeling wasn't there. Now since I still have non-adjustable poly LCA's, this accounts for some of that feeling still there, but the difference is very noticeable.

SO all in all definitely well worth the money. Sam really did his homework on these bars. Anyone considering sway bars do yourself a favor end the search and order these. Sam thanks for all the help, and developing a great product.

I'll be weighing the Spohn bars shortly and report back. Any questions let me know.
Thanks for the update!!!! I'm glad you like the result (and that's it's exactly what we talked about).
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

So Strano sway bars are hands down that much better than: (UMI, BMR, etc)

Damn, I really wanted red ones. I was going to go with UMI but now I don't know what I should do. All my suspension underneath is red. I know it sounds stupid lol
I'm going to say something in a way I don't normally do. Yes.

If the color red is worth dragging around some 20+ pounds, knock yourself out. I can't be everything to everyone, as much as I try. I do sell UMI bars too for just this kind of reason. They work fine because the sizing, which are based on my bars, I just don't care to offer solid myself since I can save a lot of weight for so little extra money. As for the other company, their rear bar is too big, and the result is just like the OP's Spohn's where the rear bar is too stiff relative to the front.

I will add this. Anyone can make bars or springs, etc. But that's not the hard part, developing rates and things that work together is the hard part. Seem you might think all these brands are basically the same, and that's a mistake.

As for other springs. Well, some are cheap copies of others.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No he is keeping his sway bars just changing a couple of things. What rear are you going with? Yea Crestwood it is, ur 10mins from me.
Oh well, all good man. Thanks anyways. I'm just sticking with the 10 bolt for now so I can throw a blower cam in July. I'll get the rear later on, Car is barely driven and I won't be tracking it till the new rear. Plus I got a solid deal on a mint 10 bolt. We should meet up sometime when car season comes back lol

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm going to say something in a way I don't normally do. Yes.

If the color red is worth dragging around some 20+ pounds, knock yourself out. I can't be everything to everyone, as much as I try. I do sell UMI bars too for just this kind of reason. They work fine because the sizing, which are based on my bars, I just don't care to offer solid myself since I can save a lot of weight for so little extra money. As for the other company, their rear bar is too big, and the result is just like the OP's Spohn's where the rear bar is too stiff relative to the front.

I will add this. Anyone can make bars or springs, etc. But that's not the hard part, developing rates and things that work together is the hard part. Seem you might think all these brands are basically the same, and that's a mistake.

As for other springs. Well, some are cheap copies of others.
No I hear ya Sam, I was just being a smartass. I will definitely be going with your sway bars, regardless of the color!

I'm just trying to figure out now what rear shocks to go with. Does Koni offer a good shock for drag racing/and street driving? I know they have some 4 way adjustable ones, are these the best? Down the road the car will have a blower so I want shocks that can work with a 10 sec car.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm going to be very honest here.... If you want to talk about stuff, you need to call me. You are working under a lot of assumptions, probably gathered from reading various things. "drag shocks" are terrible for driving and control, they are about a lack of control, because that gives you weight transfer.

You need to decide what it is you want. A car that handles and launches pretty well, or a drag car that is a maybe ok on the street. The stuff I do, and discussed here are handling and driveability parts, not drag racing parts. Some compromise exists, but you need to think about what that is.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to be very honest here.... If you want to talk about stuff, you need to call me. You are working under a lot of assumptions, probably gathered from reading various things. "drag shocks" are terrible for driving and control, they are about a lack of control, because that gives you weight transfer.

You need to decide what it is you want. A car that handles and launches pretty well, or a drag car that is a maybe ok on the street. The stuff I do, and discussed here are handling and driveability parts, not drag racing parts. Some compromise exists, but you need to think about what that is.
I understand, I will be giving you a call then. I guess I can sum it up as a mid 10 sec street car. I definitely dont want straight drag shocks. But we'll talk it over for sure. Thanks Sam.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

I want to get the hollow strano bars, but i have 275x10 up front and 305x11 on the rear, on bmr and bilsteins. How will this affect things?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

In your case, because of the springs you opted to use, I think the standard set would be find. They claim to run more rear rate than I do, by about 7%. Whether that's true is up for debate since I saw some independent testing that showed the springs to be softer than quoted. Because of the staggered tires/wheels you might also consider the 22mm adjustable rear bar, just in case you need that little bit more rear roll stiffness, but you still don't want a 25mm bar.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Cool cool, jw'n. So your buddy is getting rid of his Strano sway bars?

I think I'm doing UMI as well once I switch my rear this Spring. Just noticed, "C-Wood". Crestwood??

I live in Burbank.
I'm the one possibly giving up the Strano springs and UMI poly/roto LCA's to 00transamws6. I live near Midway Airport but also frequent the western suburbs where my girlfriend lives. It's cool to see another local guy on this site.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

In your case, because of the springs you opted to use, I think the standard set would be find. They claim to run more rear rate than I do, by about 7%. Whether that's true is up for debate since I saw some independent testing that showed the springs to be softer than quoted. Because of the staggered tires/wheels you might also consider the 22mm adjustable rear bar, just in case you need that little bit more rear roll stiffness, but you still don't want a 25mm bar.
Wait. I thought the bigger the rear tire, the less bar you need in the rear. In my case, I have 275 fronts and 315 rears with your 35/22 adjustable rear sway bars. Would it be more worthwile to switch the rear bar to the middle setting?

PM sent on another unrelated-to-the-thread topic.

Quick Reply: Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)