Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakemotive Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakemotive Pads and Rotors

Have a few questions about these. I currently have 8,000 miles on mine which are all highway and no city stopping and going because I live out in the sticks basically. I'm already having issues with these.

Current issues. Anyone else having problems with?
1. The zinc protection not working and the rotor rusting and covering your wheels in the orange rust residue(It's already a PITA to clean American Racing Torque Thrust II's and these don't help me any)?

2. Also what about them showing hairline cracks at the drilled holes?

3. The Pads squeaking?

Sent them an email hoping to hear back from them but anyone else having issues with there setup? I hope I just got a bad batch since I see alot of happy reviews but I don't know how long they have had theirs.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Hairline cracks are to be expected from cheap drilled rotors. It's probably time to replace them. I personally think the whole drilled rotor deal is silly. I got a set of ATE blanks. They definitely feel like good high quality rotors just by looking at them, especially compared to the Brembo blanks I used to have. I think they should withstand rusting for a while.. they are coated with something.. don't know what.

Some pads squeak.. others don't. It's all depends on what the material is made of. I don't know what kind of pads Brakemotive uses but there's plenty of pads out there that are well known not to squeak and perform great on the street or even in autox.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

I've had mine (with Hawk HPS pads) on for almost a year and about 10,000 miles with no issues.

You probably just got a bad batch, maybe it could be the pads?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by junior98
I've had mine (with Hawk HPS pads) on for almost a year and about 10,000 miles with no issues.

You probably just got a bad batch, maybe it could be the pads?
It's the pads they sell with them. I'm very disappointed with them. My ws6store rotors and pads that are on my v6 have tons of miles and usage and they still look and operate like new.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get what you pay for kinda deal
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
get what you pay for kinda deal
I sent them a pm. We will see what they have to say and I will let you guys know. Maybe they can help me out with getting another set and I'll change my opinion on the product and can start recommending them again. I literally raved and recommended them to everyone for the first 5k miles and then after that the last 3k have been a miserable thought. They are just a headache.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

I've heard of them replacing them in cases of severe rust in a short time, but the coating won't last forever. Any drilled rotor will form small cracks because it cools faster near the holes, which is why I went slotted only. I have a small squeak too, but I didn't grease anything (usually don't except for the spins when I do brakes) so I can't really complain. For the price they're still great, but my Autozone ceramics had a LOT more bite when they got hot.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I've heard of them replacing them in cases of severe rust in a short time, but the coating won't last forever. Any drilled rotor will form small cracks because it cools faster near the holes, which is why I went slotted only. I have a small squeak too, but I didn't grease anything (usually don't except for the spins when I do brakes) so I can't really complain. For the price they're still great, but my Autozone ceramics had a LOT more bite when they got hot.
I have only been driving on them since March of this year and they have been like this since August of this year. So very short amount of time as the car went under a build right after I purchased them and they sat in the corner along with all the other parts. I am just now having time to confront the issue. I work a full time job and do night classes afterwards. I'm graduating in 3 weeks so I won't be studying and taking tests everyday and will have time to fix this issue. Hoping Brakemotive will do something.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For the price I bought some to try. If they don't work out at least I haven't spent a ton of money. There have been a lot of good reviews on here about them but I also don't know how long they have been on customers cars. Any rotor is going to be fine when you first put it on....but staying that way for 20k+ miles is another thing entirely.

I am a bit skeptical but I bought them with my eyes open and doing brakes/rotors is very easy. If they warp I'll be going Baer or Brembo next time and telling everybody to steer clear.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

didn't notice your location at first, really odd that they would rust that quickly by you

I bought my car right after a guy brought it up from Florida, and there was not a spec of rust anywhere on it with 80k miles
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
didn't notice your location at first, really odd that they would rust that quickly by you

I bought my car right after a guy brought it up from Florida, and there was not a spec of rust anywhere on it with 80k miles
Yea my car don't have any rust except on these rotors. The bolts used on the car don't even rust. Guessing its the cheapness of China parts. We used steel from China few years back and it started rusting really bad and we switch to American made steel and its a big difference. My work won't use Steel from anywhere else anymore no matter what the price is.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I have them on my 99 TA with no problems, but I've only put 2,000 miles on them so far.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

My DTC-30 Hawk pads squeak a lot more than my HPS's did. They are in a higher performance category though.. I expected them to squeak a bit.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a set on my old Camaro for a long time. No cracks, barely any squeaks, and the rust started to show about a year later but I drove it year round through the winter so it didn't surprise me. Had 50k miles on those rotors and the front pads. Rear pads I did replace because my caliper seized and ground the passenger side pad down real bad.

I have a set on my 02 Trailblazer. No cracks, no excessive rust, no noise. I'll have to check but I think I have around 35-40k on them. I did have some deeper machining marks on a couple of the rotors but they weren't cracks and didn't hurt anything.

My boss has them on his car. Nothing wrong with them either.

I plan on getting a set for my current Camaro when it needs brakes. Right now aside from needing new front pads (which I have) its brakes are fine.

I would suspect if they are cracking or rusting that fast that you've got a bad set is all.

As far as them being made in China, I hear you there. Thing is, I'm not aware of rotors that are not made in China.

Quick Reply: Brakemotive Pads and Rotors