Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C6's on 02 TA Tramlining issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6's on 02 TA Tramlining issues

I have been puzzled trying to figure out how to reduce this without ditching the 19x10s and 18x8.5s. The handling is great on smooth roads. I have had it into 3 different shops to get everything checked out and the word is, there's nothing wrong. The suspension is stock other than hyme joint rear LCAs and panhard bar. It also has new KYB rear shocks and new Hankooks on the rear. The tire sizes are 305/30/19 and 255/40/18. I'm putting some go fast items into it, but this needs to get solved so I don't get killed. Last August some of us PNW folks went on a beach run, I hit a less than perfect patch of highway ( it was straight ) at 110 and the car did a dance. I'm surprised I didn't loose it, I just let off the gas and steered out of it. But that seemed to take forever. Whew! I just don't get it. I know Vettes with these rims don't do this. Also, perhaps my stock suspension isn't tuned to work with this combo of rim and tires? Could perhaps a Strano front and Rear sway bar setup help keep this issue down to a more sane level?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

PS. I know that performance tires love to follow the ruts, had quite a few. This just seems excessive, annoying, and dangerous as hell. Thanks, any feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does this too, running ZR1 wheels 275 front and 315 rears.

Now imagine driving like that with 1.5-2" slack in your steering wheel, whew I feel much better after swapping to an LS1 steering shaft- but still its very disconcerting when hitting a less than perfect patch of road. Take a hand off the wheel and the car instantly jumps into the next lane over.

My car is tight with a proper alignment and all, just gotta hang on and not crash
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Nitro, what car do you have? Just wondering for reference and also what is an LS1 steering shaft? I'd think that shaft should already be in my car since its an 02. Hhmm, I'm hoping this condition isn't normal. If so, I hope there are some components to bolt in that will improve it. Ahg! Didn't have this problem with my ws6 rims, but the traction was awefull but fun fishtailing. Traction with the Hankooks on the 19x10s is super good.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

You could also lower the tire pressures a little and see if you notice a difference. I did on mine. Running 275/40/17 all around.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 T/A, yes you have the steering shaft that doesn't fail. On our cars there is a rag joint that deteriorates and creates a lot of slop in the steering. Imagine keeping the wheel straight and the car is wandering all over the road lol.

From what I've gathered, its just inherent with running tires as wide as we do. Nothing to do about it other than go with narrower wheels/ tires. I know for Corvettes in the manuals they warn about this, so it must also happen with Vettes too.

Regarding tire pressure, I'd imagine that going lower would make it worse as the tire is conforming to the road more with an increased contact patch.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Didn't in my car 02 trans am. Let's the sidewalls flex a little more so you get less defection.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the alignment specs and if so, whats the toe set at? Assuming its set at zero, just a hair of toe-in would do wonders for the tramlining issue
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I'll have to dig for the sheet, pretty sure I still have it. It's basically set at zero. But the actual data would help. Nice idea, I think. Kiddin. Just wondering what degrees a hair is without shredding my tires. I'd like to try it. I might have to invest in some original style WS6 rims if this doesn't work. My car used to be sweet at high speed. I guess it ain't all about lookin good. Just wonderin how those Vettes and other high performance cars don't crash runnin these types of rims and tires.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its set at zero and your front suspension is still factory original, chances are theres a little bit of play in your tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc so when you're up to speed, the wide front tires are ever-so-slightly pulling back, creating slight toe-out. The tramlining you're feeling is the tires fighting each other... just a guess. Get some chalk and make a fat line across both front tires' tread - shoulder to shoulder. Then take the car around the block. If theres still chalk on the outer edges but the inners are wiped clean, then my assumption is correct
Old 12-14-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on worn out parts (bushings, ball joints, etc.);

+1 on toe (for freeway usage, a small amount toe-in is required, something like 0.04° or 1/16").

Last edited by joecar; 12-16-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Looks like you guys really know your stuff. I'll try the toe-in. Tryin not to rebuild the front suspension right now. Want cash into go fast items. Thanks, I really appreciate your comments. Chris.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Just FYI, my 02 has 86K on the clock.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Stock Decarbon shocks? Thats part of your issue. What tire pressures are you running? Have you tried adjusting them? .....My car felt normal for a long time. Now, that I rarely drive it, it takes some getting used to on the bad sections of interstate, man that thing wonders all over. I typically run low tires pressure for traction and ride comfort (20-25psi) so that could be making my issue worse.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I've actually heard that the lower front control arm mushing to K-member mounts can be the cause of wandering. Mine tramels with 10's in the front and 285's, but nothing that bad. Been wanting to replace the A arms. Best way to tell, from what I've heard, is look at some of the other stock bushings. If those looks dry rotted, your chances of the A Arm bushings being dry rotted are pretty good.

Mine wanders, and takes a while to settle in on the HW, it's almost like ADD steering disorder... Was planning a complete front end rebuild soon since I've neglected it since I've had the car (Almost 10 years now.) Haven't really done much with the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends or mounts.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, the front shocks are stock and when I can get some Strano springs and Bilstiens I'm sure thatll be better. I run the recommended tire pressure with hopes of longest tire life since I spent a grip of cash for the tires. Dry-rot isn't an issue here in water world Hillsboro Oregon.

Quick Reply: C6's on 02 TA Tramlining issues