Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Springs ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine looked way high stock compared to yours. I don't have bilsteins but am looking at a set. to replace the qa1's i was told i wouldn't like I didn't mind them for quite some time but the bounce is getting a little old and i gained nothing in 1/4 mile traction. Any way back on topic I can't tell you what the front looks like as the qa1's are coil over's but i've got before and after shots of my ta with strano's.

Stock height

After strano qa1's

Like i said i guess the front height doesn't help much and i can't measure the rear right now since the cars in storage but i think i'll probably get 1" arms in the front after i switch shocks since i love the way the car sits now.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

OP, my fronts are at 26 1/2 on stock springs and lower perch. Something is definitely strange with your zero drop from Stranos.

LilWS6, I've noticed that WS6's tend to sit high, especially in the front. I think it's from the lighter weight of the hood. When I went from a standard hood to aftermarket WS6 on my 01 T/A, I had to cut the springs to bring it down.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

hmm interesting
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd do a Gas Monkey mod, cut off a little of the spring to bring em down. They don't take off much
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

sscamaroburn02- I'm out of town right now but I will Grab some pics of the set up before I send the car to the shop for the CME.

LILWS6- Yeah, yours definitely sat higher stock than mine, but damn I love the after stance! Looks great man!

RevGTO- hmm..yeah it sounds like most people are in the 26" range.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is mine right after my install last year. stranos front and rear with konis. Upper perch for front and using stock isolator in rear. Front sits at 26.5 and this is with a lightweight fiberglass hood. Rear is at 26.75. IMO it's the perfect stance.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Launching!

^^ perfect stance, looks damn good man!!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
camarokid327...shoot me some pics of the assembly. include pics of the shock being bolted into the a arm area and endlinks, Also pics of the assembly itself..ie...mounts center nut and where the top of the spring meets the mount underneath. this needs to get figured out. you can pm or post on here. thanks.
Here are a few pics I took when I installed in the first time. Not the best pics but that's all I have right now. The pic of the car was taken a couple of weeks ago.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

try disconnecting the sway bar end links and see if it goes down a little. Sometimes if the sway bar is installed without the weight on the car it can prop up the front.

Also if you have a pic that shows top of the spring seated up against the bottom of the top mount. I don't know what u call that part. Like when you compress the spring down to where the mount sits flush against the flat washer on top of the shock.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I always pull my car up on ramps, then tighten the end links. There's also the possibility the front lower shock bushing is causing a torsion bar like effect and keeping the front up.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
Anyone else with Strano springs have any measurements?
OK, you got me curious, as I'm on the Strano/Koni package. Installed the parts 2 years ago. Right at the front wheel centerline, I'm at 26 5/8" to the top of the fender opening.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I always pull my car up on ramps, then tighten the end links. There's also the possibility the front lower shock bushing is causing a torsion bar like effect and keeping the front up.
i was thinking that but it doesn't look weird or anything. it looks correctly installed
Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
OK, you got me curious, as I'm on the Strano/Koni package. Installed the parts 2 years ago. Right at the front wheel centerline, I'm at 26 5/8" to the top of the fender opening.
those are pretty normal measurements.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

try disconnecting the sway bar end links and see if it goes down a little. Sometimes if the sway bar is installed without the weight on the car it can prop up the front.

Also if you have a pic that shows top of the spring seated up against the bottom of the top mount. I don't know what u call that part. Like when you compress the spring down to where the mount sits flush against the flat washer on top of the shock.
The top of the strut mount? I don't think it would lift the car up at all. maybe make it rattle. But if you could get some better pictures of the top half of the strut intall maybe the spring didn't seat in the isolator properly?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Hmm, I'll try that. I'll grab better pics when I get back in town.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
those are pretty normal measurements.
Thats what it seems like. The 26" mark seems like the norm.

Originally Posted by LILWS6
The top of the strut mount? I don't think it would lift the car up at all. maybe make it rattle. But if you could get some better pictures of the top half of the strut intall maybe the spring didn't seat in the isolator properly?
I agree, The strut mount is sitting flush like it should and the spring is fully compressed. I'll grab better pics this week. Those pics were taken about 6 months ago when I installed them.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Definitely sits high in the front. See if they are willing to swap out the front springs, return them if they don't change the ride height after the swap. I've never seen a car sit like that with stranos. I know its all business with those springs but the look is part of lowering a car as well as the center of gravity drop.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
Definitely sits high in the front. See if they are willing to swap out the front springs, return them if they don't change the ride height after the swap. I've never seen a car sit like that with stranos. I know its all business with those springs but the look is part of lowering a car as well as the center of gravity drop.
I pretty sure its not the springs that are the issue, like Sam said, these are made in batches of 100 (or something like that) at a time. If it was something with the springs I think a lot more people would be having similar issues.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't got a chance to measure mine, sorry. Car is on jack stands waiting for the rear.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Ive only put about 100 miles on my setup. Right now it sits at 26.75 up front and 27 in the rear. Im on the upper perch and stock isolaters in back.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Launching!

UPDATE AGAIN

So after spending all weekend double and triple checking everything, I am fed up with how this damn thing sits. The bottom of the strut sits properly on the lower A arm, the top of the strut mount is flush with the fender, the springs are fully compressed, and the strut mount/dog bone shape piece is properly set/ fully in place. I even disconnected the sway bars completely and the front did not budge.

At this point I don't know what to do beside send these damn things back to Sam. I'm sorry, yeah they ride nice but not dropping at all is BS and no way in hell am I buying $500 lowered A arms to get the 1" drop I should have originally got from the springs!

Here are pics that I took from today. Ignore the hideous ziebart undercoating on everything. Previous owner thought it was a good idea, yet he never drove it after August or before April...yeah that makes sense.

Passenger Side:

Gap..

Driver Side

Stance. (taken today)

Driver front: 27.375"
Pass Front: 27.5"
Driver Back: 27.25"
Pass Back: 27"

Any suggestions how what I should do now? Do I send these back to Sam? I've gone through and debunked all of Sam's "what could cause the front to sit higher" and nothing has changed the fact that I did not any drop. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Strano Springs ride height?