Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Springs ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
The car looks good to me. That's about where mine sits.
What's your set up? IMO 27.5" in front on lowering springs is high as hell. Unless the car is 28 plus inches high to start with, which mine wasn't. Could you possibly take a measurement of the Fronts??

Originally Posted by RevGTO
This is making me even more curious. My M6 car has newer Bilsteins (about 2k on them) with uncut stock springs. The car hibernates at a friend's house. I'll go over there tomorrow and get a measurement for you.
If you could it would be greatly appreciated man!

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
IMO at this point take them off, take some nice pictures and sell them.

Get your self something else that actually lowers the car.

Some times just moving on is the best medicine.
I'm really considering it however if it is the Bilsteins that are the issue then it will be an issue with any spring. Unless I just sell the fronts and go with adj coil overs.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
I'm really considering it however if it is the Bilsteins that are the issue then it will be an issue with any spring. Unless I just sell the fronts and go with adj coil overs.
i dont think thats going to be the case. Why would a reputable company like bilstein randomly decide to change a standard measurement that would throw off the entire suspension geometry? My bilsteins are brand new with 200 miles and you can see how my car sits.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Konis here, doubt it is a shock issue.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently in Cali so I'll have to do it when I get back.

Excuse my lack of reading the previous 4 pages, but I'm assuming you made sure everything is seated correctly in all the isolators and stuff?

I'm on Strano's/konis btw

Lets all see if we can all help troubleshoot the issue without taking it personally
Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Ill buy em from you if you sell the springs. I already have bilsteins with ws6 springs and don't want to go too low. Let me know a price shipped to 20602. FWIW on stock 99 ws6 springs I can fit all 4 fingers and a thumb between my tire and front fender on my 3110 lb lt1.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

If the shocks were sticking (like the old rear STI stock shocks used to do), then wouldn't the shock occasionally break free and get stuck in the lower position as well?

For instance, I used to sit on the bumper of my STI and suddenly the car would compress about a half an inch. Great quality shocks, lol.

I think it is possible that a batch of springs might be a little high once in a while, but I'm not sure. Just going with gut feeling

Actually, if a set did come out that sits a tad higher yet retained the original springrate, I'd love to have that set of springs. I like having extra suspension travel and also a more stock ride height look.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Here's what I can do for anyone who has my springs but would want to swap. I can't take them back, but I can get you Eibach or H&R and sell them to you for cost + shipping.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Here's what I can do for anyone who has my springs but would want to swap. I can't take them back, but I can get you Eibach or H&R and sell them to you for cost + shipping.
I bought your springs because I wanted a drop and the performance, as I'm assuming OP does. Why not offer him to send the springs back and get another pair, and if they do the same thing than that is that? That would be good customer service, saying it is his problem and offering no real help. And no, offering a different spring that he didn't initially order that has different drop and characteristics (assuming) is not good customer service IMO. If they turn out the same, than he can do what he wants either selling them or keeping them. That eliminates the issue on your side, and shows what the issue may be that other people, such as myself, have had. If they are the spring problem, then everyone who has that issue in the future would generally know what it is after they've checked all the basics out as the OP has.

I like your products Sam, but I'm not a big fan of how you act. You're a small company and we get that - but that is no excuse not offering real customer service. You don't personally manufacture the springs and test each one of them, do you? So you therefore can't know if there was an accidental blip in the manufacturing process. I'm not seeing the issue here to take care of the customer and satisfy other forum goers concerns in the process.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm not going down this road. I never designed the springs for a "look", I designed them for performance, and when it comes to that, everyone seems pretty happy. That said, there sure are a lot of folks very happy with both the look and the performance. Add to that there are other springs that some folks love and others don't and you get into an area of subjectivity that is just nuts.

I'm looking at the picture of your car there Guitar. It's lowered, I would assume on my springs which is what is in your signature, and I don't see a problem.

I work really hard to try and help, and more and more it's becoming harder and harder to even want to do anything (including make parts) because of the hassles involved.

The springs are not defective. It's easy for you to say "just swap them". Each spring is cycled and each one is measured for length, and they are all the same. Always have been. Considering that the springs come here in giant boxes of 240 fronts and 240 rears, and I pull them randomly, if there was one or two that were "off" you'd end up with a lot of crooked cars side to side, but we don't.

I made my offer to help. I've been in here offering ideas. I've never stated the springs were going to be EXACTLY X drop (nobody can, nobody will), and I'm looking at cars that are certainly lower than they started, even with unknown starting heights and setups, just photo's of that height.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Function over fashion all day Sam! Ill take a set if anyone sends you back your spring!

*yes I did just edit that, my bad, fixed now*

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 04-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm wondering if you are not compressed enough on your spring with the shock. I Kept going on mine til they were even and wouldn't go anymore. I want to say it was in the 26"ish range(spring perch to low point of a top insulator). Took me a couple times anyways to get everything lined back up to sit in there correctly.

Last edited by Yun Gunz; 04-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not going down this road. I never designed the springs for a "look", I designed them for performance, and when it comes to that, everyone seems pretty happy. That said, there sure are a lot of folks very happy with both the look and the performance. Add to that there are other springs that some folks love and others don't and you get into an area of subjectivity that is just nuts.

I'm looking at the picture of your car there Guitar. It's lowered, I would assume on my springs which is what is in your signature, and I don't see a problem.

I work really hard to try and help, and more and more it's becoming harder and harder to even want to do anything (including make parts) because of the hassles involved.

The springs are not defective. It's easy for you to say "just swap them". Each spring is cycled and each one is measured for length, and they are all the same. Always have been. Considering that the springs come here in giant boxes of 240 fronts and 240 rears, and I pull them randomly, if there was one or two that were "off" you'd end up with a lot of crooked cars side to side, but we don't.

I made my offer to help. I've been in here offering ideas. I've never stated the springs were going to be EXACTLY X drop (nobody can, nobody will), and I'm looking at cars that are certainly lower than they started, even with unknown starting heights and setups, just photo's of that height.
Awful....just awful customer service. You know very well people go for looks as much (if not more) as for performance. Not only you wont do anything for the guy, you have the nerve to offer selling him something else.....

OP, its obvious you will not get any help from this guy's end. Take advantage of some of the fanboys and sell those. I dealt with BMR and have nothing but positive things to say about their customer service. BTW, sorry Sam but companies do offer an approximate of their drop. In my case BMR specs were spot on. Now that I think of it your springs are the only ones that have fail to lower a few rides here. I have never read of a similar thing with other companies. There is an issue with your springs and some cars but you just choose to ignore it. To the fanboys, pray you never have an issue with these springs....you will be alone in that one.

This is my car with BMRs....(most recent pic)

Guitar, although we have had our problems in the past I must say that you car has now a very good stance at least in that signature pic, congrats.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Launching!

WOW!... Now that is top quality customer service right there! You're a real piece of work. This is your idea of offering up some help?? I reaaallllyyy resent giving you a single dime of my hard earned money!

^^ That is the biggest load of ****. Since my last two "update" posts you commented TWICE on this thread. The first one only stated that I could not return them and that my sway bars look odd and that over tightened sways can prop up the car. Which I stated twice that I removed the sways and that did not make a difference. The Secondwas your "offer to help" which was only a smartass comment that I could buy another set from you for full price and shipping.

All you gave was a bunch of excuses on why its not your springs. Back in NOV 2012 you said..

- Everything is new
- It needs time to settle
- weight reduction in the front
- weight in the trunk
- too tight sways

Well, guess what Sam, I listened to you, let you know that weight and tight sways are not the issue, and I even waited 5 months and 2K miles for them to "settle." NOTHING CHANGED! The car still sits like it did the day before the swap and that is a fact! I have taken apart everything and made sure everything was installed properly.

Once again, this is not like the car dropped a half inch and I am pissed that it did drop the advertised 1.2"...which we all know, you cannot promise...the car did not move at all. Now if all other possible reasons have been ruled out, which they have, that leaves us with the products themselves to blame for the ZERO ride height chance. Now would that not fall under the definition of a "DEFECTIVE" product???
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In those 2K miles you drove were you jacking the car up a lot? Im asking because every time you let the suspension hang its going to take time again for it to fully settle.
Do you still have your stock springs? Are there any tags or writing on them? Your car did look to sit pretty low for stock springs, much lower than most I've seen.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait, these things are classafied as Lowering Springs on the Strano website....

Granted there is a disclamer on the site, it still looks like the car should have dropped approximately an inch at the least

Ive seen Craigs old car several times, it was a beast and looked sick with strano springs.

I just dont see how the car in question and this daily driven formula can be so far off.

Is the bad publicity worth 250 bucks? Send the guy another set of springs to try at least. Make it look like your willing to help. **** like this is exactly why I didnt buy your springs. I love supporting the little guy but **** dude, you make it hard to some times.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

This is making me even more curious. My M6 car has newer Bilsteins (about 2k on them) with uncut stock springs. The car hibernates at a friend's house. I'll go over there tomorrow and get a measurement for you.
Ok, driver side front is 27.25", passenger front 27". Rears with HH mod: 27.5"
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Ok, driver side front is 27.25", passenger front 27". Rears with HH mod: 27.5"
Interesting!

So yours, with STOCK uncut spring and Bilsteins are 27.25" up front, yet mine, on Strano's sit at DF: 27.375" and PF: 27.5" high.

Do you have a side profile pic of your car by any chance as it sits now??
Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bullshit. First of all, you're not going down what road, the road of HELPING A CUSTOMER that used THEIR own money to buy from YOU and support YOU? As mentioned on the site, your springs are advertised as LOWERING SPRINGS, are they not? They are what specification you set for them to also be best for handling, so in that sense they are both for best handling and as well as used to lower your car. It's an absolute bullshit claim if you think people don't buy your springs specifically for lowering in some sense. Does everyone seem happy? Apparently not if you have this thread. I also mentioned it and your response was the same "All cars sit different from the factory, blah blah, I'm not the problem, blah" etc. I didn't care enough to pursue it, but my car sat higher in the front, the rocker panel being higher not just the gap itself, and I even had isolators AND heater hose on the rear.

My car is on the lower perch of the Konis because your springs did not lower the front of my car enough, and I decided after a while I wanted the extra bit of drop without having to spend $500 on some lowering A arms. I also had to add heater hose + retain the isolator because the rear was pretty much slammed. Not only that, in that picture the car was on an incline (and I took it on that on purpose).

More bullshit. You haven't offered to help the guy. You offered the same things you always do, make sure blah blah is straight and installed correctly, it is probably an install error, etc. And when he checks all of this, and waits for them to settle for MONTHS, they don't, and you still claim it isn't a problem of the product.

Yeah it is easy, and how hard is it to pick up another set of springs and send them to him? Do you measure each one of them and record them on a spreadsheet as you send them out? Do you check the spring rates of them all personally or test them on a car? No, you don't, so there might be a CHANCE that something was off in manufacturing, is there not? So what is the issue of giving him another set to satisfy ONE customer, and sell those off at a discount via the forums or your website and losing a few bucks TO HELP A CUSTOMER and satisfy others, specifically in this thread?

You offered your same "help" you do, basically saying it isn't your fault and is his error and he's **** out of luck. You offered no resolution except to sell him more crap that WAS NOT WHAT HE ORDERED. Really? Because BMR does:
SP002 - Lowering Springs, Front, 1.25" Drop
And if their springs are such a copy of your design, they should do the exact thing, right? Because I chose your springs over BMRs because I don't like their business practices AGAINST YOU. I even went UMI, paid a bit extra, and decided to wait on their parts for $800 in suspension because of this simple fact. And yet, I haven't seen an issue with BMRs springs, and if there was I can pretty much tell you they'd do what they could to help out include probably switching them out for a customer.

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Is the bad publicity worth 250 bucks? Send the guy another set of springs to try at least. Make it look like your willing to help. **** like this is exactly why I didnt buy your springs. I love supporting the little guy but **** dude, you make it hard to some times.

This, and so much of this. I tried to support you Sam, and I battled it out vs Chaman in the other thread because I really didn't care and figured there WAS an install error on my part. I really want a set of your hollow bars down the road, but am really having a hard time getting myself to order from you now too. You complain about being a small shop, yet aren't willing to help a customer with an issue and remedy it. You complain about a big company like BMR not caring about ripping off the little guys like yourself, yet they are the ones willing to help and not talk down to people and offer advice on the forums and over the phone. They might try to sell stuff, but they will also give advice and tell you what you need/might not need - THAT IS THEIR JOB.

Last edited by RevGTO; 04-23-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

seems to be a ongoing theme here with Sam. I dont care for his attitude either and said it before in other threads. I dont foresee him making it for the long haul. You just cant continue to do business this way and last. There is usually an advantage to going with a small shop in that you get better customer service as they are usually more hungry for the business and eger to help. apparently not here though.....

To the OP, do you have your stock springs? if so any chance you can compare them to the Strano's in legth uncompressed? I know GM offered many different springs and its completely possible a shorter spring was installed at the factory as opposed to the taller standard ls1 springs. maybe it is just a shorter spring from the beginning however the wheel well gap before and after is dramatically higher then mine with Strano's. Mine being way lower.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
Interesting! So yours, with STOCK uncut spring and Bilsteins are 27.25" up front, yet mine, on Strano's sit at DF: 27.375" and PF: 27.5" high. Do you have a side profile pic of your car by any chance as it sits now??
No ... I could get one maybe by Friday.

Quick Reply: Strano Springs ride height?