Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake dilemma, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Brake dilemma, need advice

I currently want to upgrade my brakes. I drive my Ws6 primarily in the summer. I'm not a very very aggressive driver but I do pick and choose my moments. The car sees some track time, but probably only one or two times a summer.

My current situation is this. The brakes on my car are not bad, I just want to upgrade them. I need help choosing between the drilled and slotted brake package from Brakemotive ($174.00) or the Hawk HPS pads (139.99 all around) along with resurfacing my current rotors (if they can be).

I'm leaning towards the HPS because they seem to have good performance and probably would have less brake dust than the drilled and slotted. On top of that, they are the cheaper option.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

drilled & slotted are bling,upgrading pads is where the increase in brake performance comes from.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
drilled & slotted are bling,upgrading pads is where the increase in brake performance comes from.
I've read that statement before and looked into the Brake FAQ on here but a lot of people claim the drilled and slotted were better than their previous blanks. Is this just people's minds tricking them? Also, don't drilled and slotted have better initial bite?

Anyways if it's true that drilled and slotted are purely just bling then i'll probably stick with my rotors and get the Hawk pads
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotors of the same size aren't going to make much of a difference in stopping power. It's the pads that do the stopping. Different pads are made of different materials and friction characteristics.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with slotted only all around from brakemotive. $200 for all four rotors with ceramic pads can't be beat. The car stops wonderfully. Street/stip and the occasional 120+ blast on the highway with heavy traffic and they work great. So much so that I did the same setup on the wife's lifted trailblazer.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by duh
I went with slotted only all around from brakemotive. $200 for all four rotors with ceramic pads can't be beat. The car stops wonderfully. Street/stip and the occasional 120+ blast on the highway with heavy traffic and they work great. So much so that I did the same setup on the wife's lifted trailblazer.
It's really tempting for me to get these especially because i'm getting new rims and love the way the drilled and slotted's look. But maybe I could get slotteds so that they wouldn't crack.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the exact reason I went with slotted only. That and the fact that I don't road race. The slots clean the pads more than enough in my application. They bite hard and have no problem slowing me down at the drag strip. My rotors do have a few areas of hot spotting, but nothing in worried about, after all jumping on them hard at 120+ is bound to build some heat. I like em and for the price you can't beat it.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ted-discs.html
Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by duh
That's the exact reason I went with slotted only. That and the fact that I don't road race. The slots clean the pads more than enough in my application. They bite hard and have no problem slowing me down at the drag strip. My rotors do have a few areas of hot spotting, but nothing in worried about, after all jumping on them hard at 120+ is bound to build some heat. I like em and for the price you can't beat it.
Good call. What i'm going to do is get my rotors mic'd, see if they can be resurfaced. If they can, then i'm going to resurface them, get the Hawk HPS pads, along with changing my hardware on all 4 corners just to make sure it's all operating correctly and call it a day.

If they are under spec, i'll go through Brakemotive and get the slotted rotors with pads all around. He has been taking forever to PM me an order form but it's paid off because i've been able to do more research.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

my HPS pads are waaaaaaay better than the ceramics they replaced.......i highly recommend them
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
my HPS pads are waaaaaaay better than the ceramics they replaced.......i highly recommend them
Thank you I have heard a few good things about these pads and am really interested in trying them out. Anyone else have these pads and have any comments about them?

Also where can they be had for the very cheapest price?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

TBQH, I didn't really notice much in the way of stopping power. My rotors and pads were stock from 2001, and I replaced them in like 2010 or so with Napa blanks and Hawk HPS pads on all 4 wheels. It was such a huge difference going from warped rotors to new ones, obviously, but I didn't really feel like I was stopping any faster, just smoother.

Quick Reply: Brake dilemma, need advice