Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

5th gen Brembos on 4th gen with C5Z06 wheels install pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackpala96
What brake line kit did you use? i dont see anything listed.

Anybody have a part number for stock 2010 Camaro SS rotors?
the staff at Kore3 is very knowledgeable. Just call and tell them you're putting ctsv/5 gen SS brembos on a 4th gen and theyll tell you the exact line kit you need. Sorry dont have the part number in front of me
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Its cool, I emailed them and they were very helpful.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.7 Reasons
You can run them with 17" wheels, just have to do some grinding....https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-17-rims.html
are the 5th gen brembos the same? the ctsv calipers seem to be a pita to find.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Launching!

They are the same, almost identical i believe. But the CTS-v calipers are readily available on Amazon

ACDelco 172-2288 Caliper Assembly

ACDelco 172-2287 Caliper Assembly
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

looks good. im going to be doing this when i get a couple bucks
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Launching!

The pin kit for the pads seems to be hard to come by on Amazon, but Jegs will price match it and have it in stock. ACDelco 18K1971X Professional Durastop Front Brake Caliper Kit

Amazon also has a set of Bendix pads for 1/3 of what Hawk pads sell for. And from reading the reviews, are just as good. Bendix D1050 CQ Brake Pad Set

Oh and the brake lines from kore3 are now $80 shipped.

And for rotors, the OP found the best deal on ebay. $145 shipped
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clev pick a part is awesome,im lucky there less than 30 mins away
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Top notch, looks factory stock.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cookba
how much space do you have between the deepest part of the wheel spoke to the caliper? I have the same wheel size and a 56mm offset and was under the impression they would not fit.
Between the caliper and the spoke there is .75 cm of room

Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Launching!

And if you have a lower(numerically) offset, you will have more space between the spokes and calipers.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice!!! It's as if you put a tuxedo on your car elegant and sharp I would like that same set up for my car. I'm looking at the MRR GT-1 19x8.5 front 19x9.5 rear but that brake combo looks awsome!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there an alternative rotor I can use besides the 2010 camaro rotor because i really dont want to take them to a machine shop to customize them? Would the corvette or the ctsv rotors work with those calipers?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Launching!

That gen CTS-v was a 6 lug.

The c6z06 rotors will work with washers between the caliper mount and spindle.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackpala96
That gen CTS-v was a 6 lug.

The c6z06 rotors will work with washers between the caliper mount and spindle.
Two copper washers right? But what size? I am getting ready to do this myself and am trying to wrap my head around a few things.

What is the difference between 5th gen camaro brembo's and 05-08 cts-v brembo's. From what I can find the only difference is the hole diameter of the caliper bolts. The cts-v brembos bolt onto the stock ls1 spindle no modding while the 5th gen brembos require boring out the holes for the caliper bolts right, 9/16?

Now for the rotors, the 5th gen camaro comes stock with 14 inch rotors right? and they fit perfect into both cts-v and 5th gen calipers except that the bolt pattern is off by 0.7 or something but I heard they still fit on the stock ls1 wheel hub, however I hear that many 5th gen guys think the rotors suck and warp easily on the track. Which would force me to buy race proven/aftermarket rotors for the 5th gen camaro.

OR

I hear that the 14 inch z06 rotor's are great and are track proven. The bolt pattern is also exactly right for the ls1 wheel hub. But, the offset is a little off pushing them slightly out more meaning less spoke to caliper clearance for the wheels. I hear that two copper washers will space out the caliper enough to center it over the rotor. I'm not sure if that would make them not fit over those 18x9.5 wheels though. 56mm offset seems to be pushing it.

I have a few other questions, Do either of these options require arp 3inch wheel studs, and are the 3inch wheels studs needed for a 1/4inch spacer if its needed to clear the wheels?

Didn't the stock 4-piston cts-v calipers come with a rotor larger than 14inches? Is there anything stopping us from running that size larger rotor? I am pretty sure 14.5inch rotors will still fit under an 18inch wheel. Or did those cts-v's have a 6-bolt lug nut pattern?

Could the ls1 wheel hub be converted to the cts-v wheel pattern and then run wheels designed for the cts-v to guarantee caliper clearance? And probably open the door to nicer wheels.

Finally, why not run the 6 piston cts-v calipers? Do those work the c6 z06 rotors? Are there any larger rotors that we can use instead? C6 z06 rotors are heavy at 27 pounds each and are only 14 inches in diamiter, are there any aftermarket stock replacements that are race proven that are lighter than 27 pounds? Like power-slot slotted rotors, brembo blanks or w/e etc.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Dont use copper washers for spacing, use steel washers.

Actually the CTS-v 1st gen with the 6 lug had very limited wheel choices from what I understand.

You can do the C6Z06 rotor, but "The Alchemist" has mentioned some not so good things about them in another thread. Mostly you wouldnt get the benefit out of them beings that you are using a 4 piston Caliper instead of the 6 piston used in that application.

If you are worried about rotors, look into "Brakemotive" for the 2010+ Camaro rotor. Those are supposed to be really nice and hold up well to spirited driving.

And from what i understand, you only need new wheel studs if you use a spacer greater than a 1/4"
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, copper washers are a very very bad idea... youll be tightening your lugs from here to eternity... Just find a machine shop to turn STOCK 5TH GEN ROTORS, they are high quality and cheaper than most alternatives.

I also like the 5th gen calipers over the ctsv calipers, the only thing you need to do is drill the mounting holes out a bit (9/16th size hole I think) and no spacers between the caliper and spindle... spacers scare me
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Ok, I have the C6 Z06 wheels from OE Wheels LLC. They list a 54mm offset and a 7.38mm backspace. I am slightly confused as to the offset issue, Will these calipers work with 17x9.5 wheels. I am assuming the CTS-V grinding must be done. but I was hoping to mount these without a wheel spacer.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tarheelsoldier
Ok, I have the C6 Z06 wheels from OE Wheels LLC. They list a 54mm offset and a 7.38mm backspace. I am slightly confused as to the offset issue, Will these calipers work with 17x9.5 wheels. I am assuming the CTS-V grinding must be done. but I was hoping to mount these without a wheel spacer.
Honestly I'm not 100% sure. I think you might need a 1/4 inch spacer, but I would rather just get different offset wheels from the get go. That's the biggest problem with oe wheels, they don't let you customize. They are a great bargin and good replica but thats all they are. Call up a good wheel manufacture like HRE or WELD and get some custom 3 peice forged aluminum wheels made for you. GMHTP did this for their sti killer and they looked great. They are going to cost about $500-$600 a wheel but it would be money well spent. You can customize and control every aspect of the wheel. Diameter, width, backspacing/offset can all be customized along with an option called "pad height" which specifically allows you to ensure that you will clear the calipers with the wheel spokes. These wheels make oe wheel deep dish look like tiny lips. GMHTP used -10 offset for their wheels. Import guys would call that car hellaflush. Check it out
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...2/viewall.html
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Teching In

then I guess I will just have to go with the C5 Z06 brakes for now. I really dont want to get the wheel spacer... and I dont have the funds coming in to drop on a new set of wheels.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tarheelsoldier
then I guess I will just have to go with the C5 Z06 brakes for now. I really dont want to get the wheel spacer... and I dont have the funds coming in to drop on a new set of wheels.
Well he used the oe 18x9.5 c5 z06 wheels from oe. I don't have the money either lol. I didn't want to discourage anyone. We just need a list of wheels that are proven to clear the brakes.

I think the wheels for trans ams with the lower numeric offset will clear brakes easier but my stick out more. We need a nice happy medium for people to use as a reference.

I am planning on getting a set of 18x10.5 c5 z06 wheels but I am not sure yet and tire prices on those damn 18 inch tires are really high. I'll have to figure out the best compromise when it comes to caliper/rotor/wheel/tire. I am going to go with the best bang for the buck.

So I'll start my own thread when I start to get parts in and let everyone know whats going on. I don't have the budget to buy all sorts of wheels but I will do my best to tell others how it goes.

Quick Reply: 5th gen Brembos on 4th gen with C5Z06 wheels install pics