Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update, I'll be placing an order this coming week
Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
We recommend 5 full sweeps from full soft on the front and 1 position past full soft on the rear. If you wanted to set them a little stiffer it definitely wouldn't hurt anything at all. The rear shocks should have definitely come with bushings so if your didn't give Kevin a call here at the shop and he can take care of you.
Could you please elaborate on this please? Im a little confused with the "sweeps" and "positions".

5 full sweeps from full soft? These don't have clicks? How do you know when your at full soft?

Then on the rear, "past full soft" how do you go past full?

Sorry, just confused on the wording Im sure. I wouldn't be so concerned but I don't want to do it twice if I don't have to.....

Pics or a Vid would be helpful. If I missed them somewhere could you point me to them? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

What? You couldn't decipher the hieroglyph sheets? That's what I felt like they were! I searched online for a bit and this is what I came up with:

+ means firmer
- means softer
Counter-clockwise increases firmness
Clockwise increases softness

All 4 of mine were already at full soft, meaning I got the 'dial' to move some in the counter-clockwise position to see how stiff the dial is. Once it was easy to move, I just dialed it in the clockwise direction till it stopped...that's full soft. From there, just do one full sweep (~1/3rd of a full turn) 5 times.

The rears are the same.

Now, either I deciphered it right, which means I don't have to redo mine or I deciphered it horribly wrong and have to do it over.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 50d newbe
Could you please elaborate on this please? Im a little confused with the "sweeps" and "positions".

5 full sweeps from full soft? These don't have clicks? How do you know when your at full soft?

Then on the rear, "past full soft" how do you go past full?

Sorry, just confused on the wording Im sure. I wouldn't be so concerned but I don't want to do it twice if I don't have to.....

Pics or a Vid would be helpful. If I missed them somewhere could you point me to them? Thanks!

On the front Koni shocks you have a slot that has a - and + sign on it. You need to get the shock to the full soft setting and this can be done by turning the adjuster towards the - until it stops, once this is done you want to go 5 full sweeps towards the + and that will give you a good baseline on the front shocks.

Did you get the on-car or off-car adjustable rear shocks? If you have the on-car adjustable you need to slide the adjusting **** on the top of the shock and turn the **** towards the - until it stops, this will be full soft. From there I would recommed going a half to full turn towards the +. If you have the off-car adjustable you need to have the shock off the car and slide the dust boot down, this will show the button that needs to be pressed down so the adjsutment can be made. Hold the button down and turn the shock counter clock-wise until is stop from this point hold the button down and turn the shock clock-wise one position and this will be a good starting point on the rear.

Hopefully this makes a little more sense, if not just call us here at the shop and we can go over it over the phone.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Thanks Kyle! I was going to start on this yesterday and just thought Id wait till I hear from you. Ill look at them in the next day or two and call you if I have any further questions!!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where can I order the new Moog bushings that have been posted earlier in the thread?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock Auto...

www.rockauto.com
Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 50d newbe
Thanks Kyle! I was going to start on this yesterday and just thought Id wait till I hear from you. Ill look at them in the next day or two and call you if I have any further questions!!
Not a problem buddy!

If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask here in this thread or give me a call directly at the shop and I will make sure we get them answered for you.

Kyle

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

So which bushings exactly do we have to order? I just ordered my kit (stoked!) and I'm wondering which bushings I should buy.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by idle
So which bushings exactly do we have to order? I just ordered my kit (stoked!) and I'm wondering which bushings I should buy.
Generally people just pick up a new set of strut mounts depending on the condition and mileage of their current ones. You can also get the strut bearing plate insulator which is the little piece that sits on top of the monut if you want to replace everything up top. The best/cheapest place to pick up these parts is www.rockauto.com.

Kyle

Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

A quick before/after comparison. Amazing what ~1.25-1.5" can do for looks and handling.

I've been driving around to get a feel for the setup to see if I need to tweak it. I replaced every bushing/rubber component that I had access to during this job. The car only has 50k miles but I figured an extra $100-$150 is worth it to make the entire job complete. The car is noticeably tighter, more responsive and rides a heck of a lot better than it did. I went with the suggested settings by BMR and it's a great place to start. I'm going to try 1 sweep to the firm side and see how it does for my taste.

The only drawback to doing this was that a foot long gash got put on my hood from a lapse in judgement with the garage door.

Awesome deal, awesome products!! All my suspension stuff is BMR (lca's, adj. phr, sfc, springs).
Attached Thumbnails BMR/Koni Shock Value Sale-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 03:00 PM

isn't there a install tread on these somewhere? I tried looking and failed.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

My stuff shipped! Went with the stage one F4/F3
Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 PM

Nice!!! Im installing now!! I found the page I was looking for to install....
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Generally people just pick up a new set of strut mounts depending on the condition and mileage of their current ones. You can also get the strut bearing plate insulator which is the little piece that sits on top of the monut if you want to replace everything up top. The best/cheapest place to pick up these parts is www.rockauto.com.

Kyle
This is what I want to do. I don't want to dismantle the stock shock/spring setup. I just want to swap the whole assembly. So I can assemble the front setup by ordering upper strut mounts and strut bearing plate insulators from Rockauto? Nothing else needed?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Launching!

If you don't want to undo your current strut assy, then you will need 3 parts per side; upper strut mount, upper absorber for under the nut and the lower spring seat. (Nit sure on exact part names).
Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 666ws6
If you don't want to undo your current strut assy, then you will need 3 parts per side; upper strut mount, upper absorber for under the nut and the lower spring seat. (Nit sure on exact part names).
Thanks. Not sure why these type forums don't have a "thanks" button like other forums I am a part of. I think it would inspire more productive responses and less bickering.

I need to track down the part numbers of these three parts so I can put together the new assemblies before taking the old ones out.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn wish I could get in on this, lacking the funds!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Launching!

Look thru this thread... You will find some of them. Rock auto lays them out nicely.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Found them. So, to fully put together the front assemblies before taking yours off, you will need:?

MOOG Strut Mount (Front Left Upper) - K6516 - $45.79
MOOG Strut Mount (Front Right Upper) - K6517 - $46.79
MOOG Spring Insulator - K6573 - $4.46 x 2
MOOG Coil seat - K80927 - $11.40 X 2

That's $123.32 plus shipping from Rockauto. That is in addition to the shocks and coil springs. Everything will be new and you don't have to disassemble the stock assembly while the car is up in the air. Sounds good.

Quick Reply: BMR/Koni Shock Value Sale