Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Got adjustable LCA's, have questions..help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got adjustable LCA's, have questions..help

Okay, I know to install the LCA's on the car, but I don't know exactly how to adjust them. I got the BMR Chrome moly street/track adjustable LCAs. Also, what am I supposed to adjust them to?? I'm clueless about this..help.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the stock LCA and put the mounting bolts through the ends.

Lay it down on a workbench with the bolts sticking up.

Adjust the POS LCAs so that they fit over the bolts.

Use loctite and tighten the crap out of the jam nuts. Check them damned often.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 AM

not sure about loctite but the rest is correct...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Seems to me the whole reason they are adjustable is to tune their length to maximize performance. If you just set them to stock length, then what was the point of buying adjustable length arms?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Adjustable LCAs are just a plot to have people think they are getting more performance out of a part. Many people fall for this.

Sometimes adjustable LCAs are needed when installing a torque arm because occassionally it offsets the geometry of the rear end. Also, if relocation brackets are installed uneven, adjustable LCAs can correct it. If you don't have a problem like mentioned, I'm sorry, but you wasted an extra $50.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

The reason for loctite is BMR is about the only manufacturer out there still using opposing threads on each end. With the jam nuts loose, you twist the shaft and you can lengthen or shorten the rod length without removing the LCA.

Vibration from normal use can loosen the jam nuts if not tightened properly. And when that happens, the same vibrations will allow the LCA to do just that.

No vendor who makes quaulity parts does this anymore
Old 04-23-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ross
Seems to me the whole reason they are adjustable is to tune their length to maximize performance. If you just set them to stock length, then what was the point of buying adjustable length arms?
So exactly how would "tuning" LCA length "maximize" performance?

Adjustability in an LCA is usually nothing more than a by-product of a spherical tie rod end (i.e. heim joint) threaded into the shaft. I don't understand the reasoning behind an adjustable LCA with poly or rubber bushings myself.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The reason for loctite is BMR is about the only manufacturer out there still using opposing threads on each end. With the jam nuts loose, you twist the shaft and you can lengthen or shorten the rod length without removing the LCA.

Vibration from normal use can loosen the jam nuts if not tightened properly. And when that happens, the same vibrations will allow the LCA to do just that.

When you say opposing threads, do mean a Heim joint/Rod end on each end of the control arm, one right hand thread and one left hand thread?

As far as I know LG motorsports uses the same concept on there PHB, not sure on there LCA's
Old 04-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
So exactly how would "tuning" LCA length "maximize" performance?

Adjustability in an LCA is usually nothing more than a by-product of a spherical tie rod end (i.e. heim joint) threaded into the shaft. I don't understand the reasoning behind an adjustable LCA with poly or rubber bushings myself.

I don't know, this is why I question the adjustable length. I'd ask the manufacture if I were you. After all they must have a reason wouldn't ya think?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
As far as I know LG motorsports uses the same concept on there PHB, not sure on there LCA's
Not on the recent stuff. My PHB was replaced after my BMR POS broke the end off last year.

I have to remove one end to adjust length.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know, this is why I question the adjustable length. I'd ask the manufacture if I were you. After all they must have a reason wouldn't ya think?
Let's assume there was some sarcasm in my post...
Old 04-23-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not on the recent stuff. My PHB was replaced after my BMR POS broke the end off last year.

I have to remove one end to adjust length.
I just got the LG motorsport PHB with poly bushings in one end and a heim end on the other...it was about 2 weeks ago, is this there recent one?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

Wether it's PHB, Trailing Arms, or Torque Arm, I want opposited threaded rod ends at either end. I want to be able to adjust the length without having to take it off each time to do it. I know there is a possibility the nut could come loose and the length could change, but it hasn't happen to me. I designed and fabricated my own PHB and it's been on my car for 40,000 miles with out incident, and it has LH and RH Threads.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wether it's PHB, Trailing Arms, or Torque Arm, I want opposited threaded rod ends at either end. I want to be able to adjust the length without having to take it off each time to do it. I know there is a possibility the nut could come loose and the length could change, but it hasn't happen to me. I designed and fabricated my own PHB and it's been on my car for 40,000 miles with out incident, and it has LH and RH Threads.
I've owned several sets of Heim/Heim LCA's and PHB's on several vehicles. I can count the total time they were "adjusted" on one hand (for all 3 sets, the answer is 3). Each set got adjusted at the time of installation, the nuts and heim joints were loctited and that was the last time I ever saw them. You will not adjust these things enough (ever?) to justify the "I need opposite threads" arguement. Trust me.

As for the "possibility that the nut could come loose and the length could change". I have used both styles, which is why I suggest red loctite on the threads. But the reason it was mentioned is:

With reverse threads, it can do more than change, it can come clear apart. If it were to unscrew far enough, it would just let the rear end go (I've not seen this so far, but it is a consideration). If the item needs to be "removed" to be adjusted and both rod ends are screwed in far enough (enough threads on the body of the arm) it would, in many cases, be impossible for a loose nut to allow anything bad to happen. The body of the arm would simply work it's way up and down the threads of the opposite rod ends but would (again, if the threads are long enough and they usually are) not be able to "fall apart".

As for BMR and that Poly/Poly design with the adjuster in the center. Whoever designed that is a moron. Sorry, I know BMR is making lots of money off of the owners of this chassis, but it is our own fault for buying their underengineered junk. That design is just plain dangerous, it will eventually break in the center (at the adjuster) and it is pointless (don't ask me how long this will take, I'm not going to be the tester. I've seen non adjustable BMR LCA"s break by splitting the tubing in a few cases so I don't trust that adjuster either). You do not need adjustable control arms, they have no reason to be adjustable (install your relocation brackets properly, don't use them as a crutch to fix it later, that causes uneven rear geometry and can cause problems with launching straight, etc) and putting the adjuster in the center where bending loads are the highest is just stupid. Anyway.....

My thoughts.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:04 AM

Default adj.?

I guess I'm another--I use opposing threads (right and left hand threads) on each end also so you can adjust while on the car. I have not used loctite on mine and never have I had a jam nut come loose...Speed shops buy the pre-made threaded alum. as its cheaper by the ft. to buy this stuff and sell to the public a single threaded piece. We custom machine every part to have the adjustablilty (left and right threads) so the consumer will have less problems. As far as coming apart, That is a rediculous statement!!!!

Last edited by BADZ; 04-24-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADZ
As far as coming apart, That is a rediculous statement!!!!

We've all been around long enough to see things happen that "couldn't happen". I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it is a possibility (worst case) and it will only take once....

What I said was:

Originally Posted by trackbird
As for the "possibility that the nut could come loose and the length could change". I have used both styles, which is why I suggest red loctite on the threads. But the reason it was mentioned is:

With reverse threads, it can do more than change, it can come clear apart. If it were to unscrew far enough, it would just let the rear end go (I've not seen this so far, but it is a consideration). If the item needs to be "removed" to be adjusted and both rod ends are screwed in far enough (enough threads on the body of the arm) it would, in many cases, be impossible for a loose nut to allow anything bad to happen. The body of the arm would simply work it's way up and down the threads of the opposite rod ends but would (again, if the threads are long enough and they usually are) not be able to "fall apart".

I said, I'd not seen one so far, but I'm sure, just like the broken BMR Poly/Poly LCA's, there will be one, one day. (there is always "one", it's the law of averages).

With that said, when I build my LCA's, I use left and right hand threads. But I suggest red loctite as insurance (and regular inspections).
Old 04-24-2004, 11:10 AM

Yes, we have been around the racing scene for 20+years and we have sold a TON of these lite weight pieces and never once have I had someone tell me that the lca backed out and come apart on them. I am very positive that this will never happen. I know things will happend by mistake but I don't count on these pieces to do this as they are well inspected before shipping!!!! Good luck...

[QUOTE=trackbird]We've all been around long enough to see things happen that "couldn't happen". I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it is a possibility (worst case) and it will only take once....

What I said was:

I said, I'd not seen one so far, but I'm sure, just like the broken BMR Poly/Poly LCA's, there will be one, one day. (there is always "one", it's the law of averages).
Old 04-24-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jeff.

Without "looking for a fight", I understand "inspected before shipping" and I've heard nothing but great reviews of your products (and I wasn't speaking specifically of your products and am still not).

My point was simply that you (generically speaking "you", not you specifically) can manufacture the best products in the world, but a manufacturer has absolutely no control over who is installing them. If I buy a set of LCA's and don't assemble/tighten them properly, they can come apart. This is not a failure on the part of the manufacturer, this is the responsibility of the "technician" that installs and is responsible for maintaining these parts. We have people with varying levels of skill and mechanical ability using aftermarket parts from many suppliers and if "Bubba" forgets to lean on the wrench on that jam nut, it could be a bad day (or a bad day in a few weeks, etc). Again, this is not a manufacturing flaw, it is an installation flaw. But, I do find it slightly optimistic to disregard it and say it will never happen. It very well could and if it does, it still is not the fault of the manufacturer of the item, it is an installation problem. So, I agree, it is highly unlikley that this would occur (*if the item is installed by a knowledgeable mechanic*) it is not entirely impossible. And if one ever does come apart, the chance of it being a set that you built is statistically small since you (and I as well) are not selling as many of these as BMR and many others (based on the amount of dealers for the "other guys"). It was more of an explanation of differing design theories, not so much a statement of a design flaw.

Have fun!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jesus Christ ... all this over a dot of loctite?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jesus Christ ... all this over a dot of loctite?

I suggest 2 dots.....

Quick Reply: Got adjustable LCA's, have questions..help