Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

StopTech Performance Street vs Hawk HP+

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Default StopTech Performance Street vs Hawk HP+

I usually see HPS vs Stoptech Street pads, but the temp range is far superior for the Stoptechs. How do they compare to the HP Plus on a street car? I know the HP+ have a lot more bite and better heat range than HPS, but was wondering if they'd be an upgrade over the Stoptechs? I realize they dust and squeal more, but so what. So they stop better with sticky tires?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What application is this for? Street? Autox? Road course?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Street. I wouldn't use either for racing.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I was just going to post a link to the recent stoptech pad thread, but saw you posted quite a bit in it. So you probably know enough about those without trying them yourself.

I don't have firsthand experience. But the HP+ I believe is as good of a pad there is as far as performing without needing to be warmed up as track pads do. I don't think they are the best option for HPDEs.. but I'm not positive. I think they might wear out or fade quicker compared to a more track oriented pad.

Although assuming your brake hydraulics and maintenance is up to par... the HPS is strong enough to lock up the tires with Hoosier A6's. I have HPS. They provide a nice gradual easy to control brake pedal so that you can slow down smoothly and not mess you up on a quicker turn in autox. I think I've heard the HP+ bite is more sudden. I like a smooth controllable bite so I don't spin my car out, so that's why I stuck with HPS.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I have HPS on my Nissan. They fade much too quickly. And it's a lighter car with 13" rotors and a bigger caliper/pad. 2-3 stops from 100 and they start to fade noticeably (and that's with ATE Superblue and Goodridge lines). Also running Yokohama AD08s on there which are very close to a DOT tire - I autoX with it and the HPS are "okay" for that.

I know the Stoptechs aren't supposed to bite as hard as HPS (but every thread I've seen on every other forum says the opposite - that the Stoptechs destroy the HPS in fade, bite, modulation and dust - so don't know how it can do all of those things). But, I know the HP+ are a big step up from the HPS in terms of fade and bite - but lack the modulation. It's an on/off switch.

I'm thinking of going to CTS-V calipers and will most likely use the GM OE/Brembo pad, but would like to weigh the option of the HP+ or Stoptechs with that caliper as well since the HPS is much weaker than the OE Brembo pad.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have HP+ all around on my vette that I autox. I think they are great pads and easily lasted me 9 trips, 12-18 runs each weekend, to the course and daily driving 250 miles a week. They are dead now after 11 months but they sure did a great.

If I wasnt doing a break upgrade I would go back to them right away.

Dusting was bad but with black rims I didnt clean them as often as I should.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I may give them a try. HP Plus in the CTS-V Caliper on 14" rotors is going to stop that thing in a hurry. I plan on running black wheels too, so brake dust is whatever.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

First hand street experience on my C6Z, the HPS +'s are great pads for track use but squeak like you wouldn't believe on the street. They have great initial bite and are fade free, but I wouldn't use them on the street at all. I changed mine after 400 miles of street use and went back to the factory pads for street use. Again, great track performer, but terrible for the street. Just my .02.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, have you look at carbon tech 1521's? I haven't used them myself, but have heard great things about them.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I have too. It's a Ceramic pad. Probably not quite to even the HPS level. Another one that intrigues me in EBC yellow stuff.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the simple naming scheme of EBC's pads, yellow stuff, red stuff, orange stuff, etc.....
Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're only driving on the street I couldn't imagine needing anything more than a set of HPS pads. I autox my car with them and they work fantastic, no issues whatsoever.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I'd like higher initial bite than HPS without going to a track pad that has not bite when cold. I know HP+ does, but have never run them on the street. EBC Yellow Stuff does as well. They seem similar, with the Yellow Stuff maybe being less dusty since it's kevlar? The StopTech pads are Kevlar too from what I can tell...
Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Latch
If you're only driving on the street I couldn't imagine needing anything more than a set of HPS pads. I autox my car with them and they work fantastic, no issues whatsoever.
This is what I was thinking especially combined with the CTSV brakes. For just street driving with a well setup brake system, CTSV calipers and bigger quality rotors, I don't see how you would get brake fade from street driving with the HPS pads. Hell for a street car I'd even consider a ceramic or something to cut down on the dust, since I consider a street only car to be more of a garage queen.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah. And the more I look into HP+ they just seem blah. The corrosive brake dust, on/off feel, and squealing.

And so it's probably down to StopTech and EBC Yellow Stuff to be honest. Both have a MOT that's over 1200 F and both seem to dust very little. Yellow Stuff has a pretty damn high friction coefficient of .55 which is higher than the HP+ and way higher than HPS or the StopTech pads. I think they might win.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run a setup of DTC-30's on the front and HP+ on the rears. The HP+ does have a firm, bite and have proven to be very fade resistant on the track. Both have good manners on the street (don't need a ton of heat, aren't too harsh on rotors, etc.) however they're noisy and dusty.

I feel like the HP+ is right on the line of a street vs. strip pad, so if you're looking for an upgrade in stopping power from the HPS, this would be a great next step up (with the understanding of what comes along with that).
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I've thought of the DCT-30s as well based on Strano's recommendation. But the dust is a pain in the ***. Might have to bite the bullet.

Quick Reply: StopTech Performance Street vs Hawk HP+