Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
That is actually pretty fair. It's probably over 10 years old and the OP wasn't even the original purchaser. I wish I could return stuff that I bought 10 years ago, lol
Honestly in the end we don't want to leave anybody hanging nor do we want anyone to have any kind of animosity towards us so I try to do what I can to help you out. We are all car guys (including myself) and have had things break on us so I understand your frustration with the situation.

I want to try to work out a solution with the OP that is fair for everyone involved so hopefully we can make that happen.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I stated in the Email I sent I am the original purchaser. 7years ago I did not have a paypal account and had john clay order it for me. Its been on my street car street driven since i have owned it. been on the track less then 4times over that 7year or so period.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I've got a BMR kmember that I use on my daily and I've had it on for about 6months. Ill keep an eye on it. But 7 years isn't too bad to last, you also gotta think about metal fatigue after so many miles and years. A lot of my suspension is BMR. Good luck on your kmember situation.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to inspect mine every oil change and never noticed
anything. The only warning I had, was the steering began
to get kind of squirrely in the weeks leading up to the
final "give".

So don't ignore changes in the way she handles. It may
be your only warning. Though if you're thorough you
might notice rust lines in the powdercoat (I didn't).
Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

Regardless of when it was made/purchased, or who purchased it, it is still a BMR product and is a known bad design. BMR made the money off the sale and should honor the product they made IMO
Old 05-23-2013, 03:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

It should have never been put on a street car.

This type of part is a LIMITED street time part... Mainly track.

Don't most manufacturers even state they aren't intended for a street car?

I think BMR was more than fair. SEVEN YEARS later and you still get 20%, I wouldn't complain.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12

I think BMR was more than fair. SEVEN YEARS later and you still get 20%, I wouldn't complain.
"This means that you can use the K-member for street use, road race, autocross, or drag strip use."

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=253
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by JJsQwuik
Wow. I've got a BMR kmember that I use on my daily and I've had it on for about 6months. Ill keep an eye on it. But 7 years isn't too bad to last, you also gotta think about metal fatigue after so many miles and years. A lot of my suspension is BMR. Good luck on your kmember situation.
You won't have any kind of issue with your k-member but it never hurts to inspect the car from front to back every once in a while.

Before I started working here at BMR almost five years ago I was customer myself. I had a BMR k-member on my personal 99 T/A for over four years that not only saw a good bit of track duty but it also was driven every single day, it was my only transportation at that point in time. There were nearly 80k miles put on the car with the BMR k-member and it never had an issue and held up perfectly fine.

Metal fatigue is one of the reasons we do not build a Chrome Moly k-member even though we get a ton of requests for it.

I actually made a couple better offers to the OP to come up with a solution. Like I said I want it to be fair to all parties involved and come up with a solution that works for the OP.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by ThoR294
"This means that you can use the K-member for street use, road race, autocross, or drag strip use."

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=253
We expect people to drive on the street regularly with our BMR k-members so they are built and designed with that in mind. I would say probably 90%-95% of our k-members see most of their use on the street.

If we were going to build an off-road use or race k-member we would build it using Chrome Moly steel so there would be even more weight savings.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

This is a DESIGN failure, why is this the purchasers fault?? And who cares who owns it? How does this effect how it was initially designed?

BMR should REPLACE it as it is a known bad design, they redesigned it for a reason......because they messed up the first design.

BMR is lucky this didnt fail at 70 mph on the highway and cause a catastrophic accident. Then they would be talking to a lawyer for the familie(s) involved.

If BMR would have replaced it on the first phone call from Micah or at least after they got VERY good pictures that clearly showed its a design failure, no one would have had knowledge like we do now(I had no knowledge of this issue, but do now).

Why don't companies understand that one happy customer is worth $10,000 of free advertising? All for the COST(maybe $300, if that) of a new K member?

Trying to overcome this **** storm will cost a ton more money than the $300 it would have cost them intitially, simple math.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Teching In

If this happened to me id be so pissed. It is the manufacturers fault.. If that thing would have broke all the way it would have been catastrophic.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
This is a DESIGN failure, why is this the purchasers fault?? And who cares who owns it? If I didn't originally spend money with that company and I bought a used item through X amount of owners, why would they be held responsible 7 years later? How does this effect how it was initially designed?

BMR should REPLACE it as it is a known bad design, they redesigned it for a reason......because they messed up the first design.

BMR is lucky this didnt fail at 70 mph on the highway and cause a catastrophic accident. Then they would be talking to a lawyer for the familie(s) involved.

If BMR would have replaced it on the first phone call from Micah or at least after they got VERY good pictures that clearly showed its a design failure, no one would have had knowledge like we do now(I had no knowledge of this issue, but do now).

Why don't companies understand that one happy customer is worth $10,000 of free advertising? All for the COST(maybe $300, if that) of a new K member?

Trying to overcome this **** storm will cost a ton more money than the $300 it would have cost them intitially, simple math.
A k member doesn't even cost 300$ to make. Now over head, sponsorship, advertising, etc... Sure... But design alone, not even close.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I can see maybe if it were back when the K member had been redesigned that the OP should get more options for replacement, but the thing is what 10 years old now? 10 years of use, wear, tear, etc... not to mention a tubular K-member. I wish I could return my stuff from that long ago.

If the OP wants real insurance, put in a stock k-member.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

A k member doesn't even cost 300$ to make. Now over head, sponsorship, advertising, etc... Sure... But design alone, not even close.
It says Micah was the original purchaser, just did it through a buddy....or so I thought I read.

This part is advertised as being BETTER than the GM product, suitable for street driving AND Road course duty(thats a laugh), no way in hell I would run this in my trackday car...even if it was a dedicated track only car, after what I have seen here, my life and the lives of others near me on track could be put at risk due to this part. As are the lives of the people in the car it's installed on and driving near on the street.

Micah is local, he doesn't abuse his car.....and even if he did it doesn't warrant this type of failure. This is a DESIGN flaw, all of these K members should have been recalled and replaced, this is a suspension mounting part, not a head rest on a seat.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We are no way not trying to take care of the issue but we are trying to find a solution that is fair for everbody. The OP gave me the name of the John Clay as the individual that purchased the k-member originally and I looked in our system and was unable to find that name in our system. We started using our current billing system in 2004 so it is almost 10 years old and any order made during that time would be in our system with the customer's name.

For all we know this k-member could have been bought second or third hand and gone through who know what kind of abuse. We have limitation that we have as far as warranty goes but I still want to do whatever I can to take care of the issue. I can assure you that most companies wouldn't do anything in this situation considering the age and not being able to verify the purchase of the k-member.

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 05-23-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
It says Micah was the original purchaser, just did it through a buddy....or so I thought I read.

This part is advertised as being BETTER than the GM product, suitable for street driving AND Road course duty(thats a laugh), no way in hell I would run this in my trackday car...even if it was a dedicated track only car, after what I have seen here, my life and the lives of others near me on track could be put at risk due to this part. As are the lives of the people in the car it's installed on and driving near on the street.

Micah is local, he doesn't abuse his car.....and even if he did it doesn't warrant this type of failure. This is a DESIGN flaw, all of these K members should have been recalled and replaced, this is a suspension mounting part, not a head rest on a seat.
If he was the original purchaser we would be able to find his name or the individual's name he gave me in our system. In my e-mail to Micah I clearly stated that if he wanted us to do more than we offered that he would need to prove he was the original purchaser.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Other companies don't have to deal with incidents like this because there's not countless cases of there K members breaking. you can look up spohn or umi and this does not happen. As David said up top they should have all been recalled and replaced instead of leaving them on the street as a waiting of if and when they will break and causing personal injury to people. I'm not asking for a miracle or anything more then to honor a product you all built and had to redesign twice I believe? Replacing it and having a positive review on your sales and service team would all be worth it imo. Its as simple as doing what should have been done years ago when it had to be redesigned over a flaw and replace it.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Micah41091
Other companies don't have to deal with incidents like this because there's not countless cases of there K members breaking. you can look up spohn or umi and this does not happen. As David said up top they should have all been recalled and replaced instead of leaving them on the street as a waiting of if and when they will break and causing personal injury to people. I'm not asking for a miracle or anything more then to honor a product you all built and had to redesign twice I believe? Replacing it and having a positive review on your sales and service team would all be worth it imo. Its as simple as doing what should have been done years ago when it had to be redesigned over a flaw and replace it.
All those companies have their own issues with other parts at some point in time whether it be a k-member or not. We are not perfect and no way have we ever said we are, problems do arise and we do our best to take care of them. You have a k-member that I can not verify was purchased from us that is at least 8 years old if not older and you expect us to just replace with a brand new one without being able to verify anything. I just don't think that is a reasonable request considering the circumstances. I understand your frustration and I myself would be irritated if I was in your current position but you have to understand our side of things too. Like I said before we need to come up with a solution that is fair for all parties. At no time did we ever say or imply that we were not going to help you out. The only option that you are interested is a brand new k-member and anything less is insufficent, you have to work with us a little bit and either come with proof that you are the original purchaser or comprimise with us.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What people forget is that all other companies have their own issues with their own products. Aftermarket K-Members are NOT stronger than factory K-Members which means that issues could POSSIBLY happen down the road with these parts. Its like everything out there really. Springs, shocks, torque arms, and etc will eventually have failures, but thats why we have stand up companies like BMR that will take care of your issues with their products.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

going by that philosophy every car that is 10+ years old their frames should fall out and K members should split in half....

Quick Reply: Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?