Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004 | 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Quick Question

JUst need to know real quick a ball park figure for srping shock and panhard bar install...just so i know if im getting screwed.
Old 04-26-2004 | 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Panhard rod is ridiculously easy to do. Rear springs are cake too, the front springs are where your going to have to work a little. Not sure what to suggest as how much to expect to pay though. I couldn't imagine it being over a couple hundred total in labor to do...
Old 04-26-2004 | 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I, with hand tools, in my garage can do the whole car, shocks, springs, LCA's and PHB in about 5 hrs (give or take). A lift and air tools will speed this up. Figure shop rates of about $50 an hour (roughly, maybe more) and they should be quicker than I am (with a lift and air tools, they better be). So, 5 hrs at $50 is $250. I'd pay no more than that for the work. Or, bring it up to Ohio, I'll set you up....
Old 04-27-2004 | 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man. I went o midas the other day and he said it would be atleast a few hundered...I was like later buddy. Guy that runs a body shop in town thats put on everytihng else on my car said he do it for like 250.
Old 04-29-2004 | 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

hey i work at a spring shop and i can do the panhard bar and the rear springs in 40 minutes, and the fronts in about an hour and check alignment in about 45 min. i specialize in heavy duty diesel suspension *concrete trucks - dumps - trash trucks* but we do regular suspension too. at my shop it is 65 hr so i can have it done without checking alignment in about two hours, they will prolly charge you for four to five hours book rate. so you are looking at about 225-300....... which isnt bad.
but i am just guessing cuz that is our shops generic labor rate, they might have a certain price for removing the rear coils and replacing, and the front strut assemblies also. i dont deal with price i just do the work and collect the commission, but i wouldnt pay no more than 300 if you have the parts.

Mike
Old 04-29-2004 | 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out www.installuniversity.com and read the write up. The first time you do the swap, it is very time consuming (like 7 hours maybe). It is incredibly easy though once you know what you're doing. There's nothing advanced about this. Save yourself some money for other mods; call up a buddy and do it on the weekend.
Old 04-29-2004 | 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to a guy in town thats goin to do it for 250 but I have to take it to another ship in town and get and alignment.
Old 04-30-2004 | 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

250 is good - not a bad price, but watch if you can while he does the work, some places can be shafty, just be on the safe side.

Mike