Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wilwood DynaPro Low-Profile Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wilwood DynaPro Low-Profile Rear Brakes

I recently just installed a set of these brakes and was very happy with the quality of the kit. I wanted a kit that would work with my 15" rims and maintain a parking brake. The directions from Wilwood were good so no need to go over them but I wanted to add a few more pics and comments from my install.

First a little background on my rear set up. I have a Moser 12 bolt that is narrowed 3" per side and use a Weld 15"x10" with 5-1/2" backspace that tucks the tires nicely.

Second learn from my mistake. I used the Wilwood site to select my kit and when you go to the page with the axle flange selection there is an option for 12 Bolt-Late 93-02 Camaro. This is not what you want to select if you have an aftermarket rear. The kits here will work with a stock rear end only. What you want to select is towards the bottom of the chart called a Chevy (special) axle flange end if you have a 3.150" press on bearing. The kit I choose is 140-11401.

Axle with bearing pressed on
Name:  1AXLEBEARING.png
Views: 543
Size:  121.1 KB

Chevy special flange end
Name:  2FLANGEEND.png
Views: 501
Size:  171.6 KB
Axle installed (note bearing hang out from flange)
Name:  3BEARINGHANGOUT.png
Views: 481
Size:  222.8 KB
Backing plate with parking brake
Name:  4PARKINGBREAKFRONT.png
Views: 546
Size:  120.7 KB
Name:  4PARKINGBREAKBACK.png
Views: 583
Size:  114.8 KB
Retaining plate
Name:  5RETAININGPLATE.png
Views: 508
Size:  78.7 KB
Before retaining plate installed
Name:  6AXLEBEARINGINPARKINGBRAKE.png
Views: 509
Size:  191.9 KB
Retaining plate installed
Name:  7RETAININGPLATEINSTALLED.png
Views: 543
Size:  187.5 KB
Axle with backing plate installed
Name:  8ASSEMBLED.png
Views: 499
Size:  202.5 KB
Low profile rotor
Name:  9LOWPROFILEROTOR.png
Views: 532
Size:  198.6 KB
Caliper
Name:  10CALIPERINSTALLED.png
Views: 595
Size:  191.6 KB
Name:  12BRAKESINSTALLED.png
Views: 500
Size:  204.4 KB
Mounting bracket (needed to add some shims to make sure I had enough room between rotor and bracket. Verify this upon assembly. This kit is for a 2.81" offset and mine was close to 2.75")
Name:  11REARSIDEBRACKET.png
Views: 504
Size:  143.3 KB
Rear side of tire showing clearance of brake set. There is more than enough clearance with my rim set
Name:  14REARVIEW.png
Views: 512
Size:  199.6 KB
Name:  13INSTALLED.png
Views: 498
Size:  174.7 KB
Name:  13INSTALLED2.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  52.9 KB
Exterior view
Name:  15FRONTVIEW.png
Views: 490
Size:  159.0 KB

Link to front brakes installed:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l#post18086364

Last edited by JRcamaroZ28; 03-16-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do they perform? How much weight reduction?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by djfury05
How do they perform? How much weight reduction?
I have not gotten to test them out yet. I am converting my car back to more street friendly at the moment. I had a set of Aerospace drag brakes before and the Wilood's are a little more heavier due to the wider rotor. But the shipping weight was 45#
Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

I have a similar setup to you, and was about to order this kit and you just saved me a ton of hassle as I was about to order the wrong kit as you did. Thanks a million!

I have a question for you: were you able to retain the stock parking brake cable? The gentleman at Wilwood told me I would need to replace the cable.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by qwikz28
I have a similar setup to you, and was about to order this kit and you just saved me a ton of hassle as I was about to order the wrong kit as you did. Thanks a million!

I have a question for you: were you able to retain the stock parking brake cable? The gentleman at Wilwood told me I would need to replace the cable.
Glad it could help.

I will be using a new one from Wilwood when I install since I removed all of the stock stuff when I tore the car down. I'm not sure if the stock one would work but there is only one way to find that out!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Ha! Good point. Thanks again for the help. I'll report back with whether the stock cables work for future reference of others.

Mind if I also ask what you did for a brake hose? I was also told by Wilwood that my OEM replacement hoses wouldn't work, but it seems the Wilwood ones only come in very long sizes.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Ha! Good point. Thanks again for the help. I'll report back with whether the stock cables work for future reference of others.

Mind if I also ask what you did for a brake hose? I was also told by Wilwood that my OEM replacement hoses wouldn't work, but it seems the Wilwood ones only come in very long sizes.
I am putting all new brake lines in from front to rear on my build. I will have a tee fitting on top of the rear and then run hard line to each caliper.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The calipers have a NPT threads hole in them, you can get a NPT to AN nipple to put on the calipers then use a short AN braided flex line, and get a adopter fitting to got to AN off the stock rear brake line of the rear end. Or make new brake lines on the rear end and put a NPT to flair fitting on the calipers for the line style.

These brakes are great for a street setup. I ran the dynalite setup with the parking brake and was 3K race weight
Name:  IMG_3006.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  65.9 KB

on thing is the rotor hat is raw and will rust. I painted them.
I went to strange drag brakes on my car and I'm selling them willwoods right now actually great deal if your looking for a better the stock, lighterm and clears 15 rim setup.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-willwood.html
Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I ran the stock parking brake cables. The willwood bracket is thicker, I'd gues its 1/4, were the stock in thinner, its thick sheet matal. The stock cable fits the willwood bracket, but the end has fingers that clip after the slot to hold the cable in. But the thicker braket slot is to thick. For them to fit past to clip and hold onto. So I just put a small hose clamp (3/8-1/2) on the backside of the cable end, and just snugged it up. It was fine and kept the stock cables tight in the slot for falling out.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help, JR. You saved me a ton of trouble with posting up the correct part number. I placed my order this morning for the brakes.

studderin- Thanks, but as said, I already placed my order. I'll try your trick with the hard lines and parking brake cable end. The price Wilwood is charging for the lines and cables is pretty outrageous!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is some pics in the build thread of the brake lines. I used some of the stock flex lines for the ABS on the front, it worked out great and was free

I cant find one of the cables, but its just a hose clamp on the cable end inside the arm bracket.

One thing I would do beofre you put these on your alxes, in to cut a slot in the backing plate so they fit around the axle, like most other brakes. When there soild you have pull the axle bearing off to get the backing plates off. I always messed them up, and had to buy new ones. Its a paint in the *** to cut and pres them on and off, and cost about $50-60.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...mno=140-0264-B
Old 09-27-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

and having the star flange is alot easier to install these new. you have room to put the drum shoes on the springs
Name:  8ASSEMBLED.png
Views: 469
Size:  202.5 KB

If you have axles with a full flange you can't get the normal drum brake tools on the springs so you have to use needle nose pliers sideways and it s bitch. I found it best to build the parking (drum) brake shoes and the springs, and adjust them for the rotor hat to work before you have the backing plate installed behind the axle flange. I always left the drum brake assembled on the backing plate, Its tight but the shoes are on the springs so you can flex them away for the backing plate a little and get a gear wrench behind the shoes. 11mm on the axle flange nuts, and do little 1/20 turns back and forth with the nut. That way u dont have to take the shoes off to get room, to them form the front. Look at the pic at 10 and 2ock. the 4 axle hardware you need to BEHIND the drum brake parts is a bitch. your understand when you use these on the full axle flange.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. Yes, I have a full axle flange so I imagine it will be a pain as you say. I thought Wilwood shipped the backing plate assembled with the drum assembly ready to go? Why would tools be needed for anything other than adjustment once its on the axle?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

studderin thanks for the heads up on the stock parking brake cable I will see if I can re use mine when I get that far. One this is you do not need to cut the backing plate with this kit. the backing plate fits over the press on bearing and is held on by a retaining plate so you can take them on/off as much as you need to without pulling the bearings like with other kits.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the input guys. This is what makes LS1Tech great.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Bringing this back up. I just got mine in this week, and looking at it, I see no provision for the speed sensor. What did you guys do about that? Or are you guys running 3 channel rears?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

I do not have ABS on my set up anymore so I didnt have to worry abou that. Mybe someone else can help out on this

Quick Reply: Wilwood DynaPro Low-Profile Rear Brakes