Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best way to get an ABS scan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case other people come across this thread... Most of the brake shop chains will scan ABS codes for free. I believe Midas even advertises that service on their door. Some scanners are better than others and one place couldn't get a reading so I drove a couple blocks to the next shop and they read it no problem.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
In case other people come across this thread... Most of the brake shop chains will scan ABS codes for free. I believe Midas even advertises that service on their door. Some scanners are better than others and one place couldn't get a reading so I drove a couple blocks to the next shop and they read it no problem.
Helpful advice above -- didn't think about Midas but it makes perfect sense.

The Equus 3160d scanner I just picked up for $159 shipped also read them without issue. Will be nice having this around for the next time there's an issue.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE: Read the ABS code -- right front wheel speed sensor. Finally got around to looking at it today and found this.....

Guessing it's going to be difficult to clean the connection when there isn't actually a connection. Is this a common source of hub failure?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

FINAL UPDATE: Replaced the broken stock hub with a Timken hub today. Cleared the ABS code. Problem solved. ABS and TCS are both functioning properly. Brakes feel great again.

Thanks for all of your help with this. This site gave a guy with very little experience actually wrenching on the car the confidence to tackle this and fix the problem myself.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to purchase the same code scanner from Amazon, trying to diagnose my ASR Off light... ABS seems to work fine, hoping this will pull this code and many others in the future if need be.

Quick Reply: Best way to get an ABS scan?