Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best way to get an ABS scan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Best way to get an ABS scan?

Since my recent track day, the ABS Inop and ASR off lights have been on constantly. Checked the wheel speed sensors and looked for bad wiring and couldn't find anything, so now I would like to find a way to read the codes.

According to most of the threads on here, AutoZone will read these for free, however I've been to three different locations in the Atlanta area and even called corporate customer service only to be told they do not scan for ABS codes.

So far it looks like my options are to either pay a shop to read them or spend a boatload of cash on a tech II scanner -- neither of which are great options. Given that I track the car pretty regularly, it would be nice to have access to a tool to read the codes. Any thoughts? Any luck with Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts

How long has it been on? When I had my Formula dynoed it came on for a while and then went off again.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't really know these cars very well, but did you or can you check the tone rings for contamination? That's a common problem on other types of vehicles. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Advance Auto scans them for free, ask me how I know.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this it sucks trying to find one. Sullivan tire wanted to charge me $99 dollars for diagnostic. I walked out since you can buy the scanner for $150.I ended up posting on Facebook and a friend had one. You should try reaching out on social media or forums in your region you never know what you will find. Good luck.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Advance Auto scans them for free, ask me how I know.
Advanced and Autozone do not do ABS codes in MA, I went to several locations trying to get it done.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Auto parts store scanners don't read the BCM, which is what controls ABS. Anybody who mentions an auto parts store from here on out will be talked badly about to no end You must find a dealer or independent shop with a Tech type scanner Period. There is no other way to access the BCM. Your alternatives are 1. pull and clean each wheel speed sensor and hope that is a quick fix (they get dirty often), or 2. do an ABS delete.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I live with these codes. My frickin gauge cluster looks like a Christmas tree at night sometimes.

ONLY thing holding me back from an ABS delete is not doing enough research on proportion valve adjustment.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I live with these codes. My frickin gauge cluster looks like a Christmas tree at night sometimes.
Lmao....x2. Put the first 100 street miles on this car since completing the build and didnt think any more lights could come on until I hit the freeway. "ABS INOP"
Old 08-04-2013, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
ONLY thing holding me back from an ABS delete is not doing enough research on proportion valve adjustment.
Do it!! Should have mine bled and back on the road early this week. Can't wait to bleed with no freakin ABS block in my way.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nathan C
How long has it been on? When I had my Formula dynoed it came on for a while and then went off again.
It's been on ever since the track day. Hasn't been intermittent -- it's been on constantly.

Checked and cleaned the wheel sensors and had no luck there.

I understand that reading the codes may still not yield a simple fix for the issue, however I'd love to know which direction to start with.

Not interested in the ABS delete option because the car spends a lot of time on road courses. Certainly nice having ABS out there.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any chance the Equus 3150 scanner will read our codes? It claims to, however I've always read that it takes a Tech II scanner to get the ABS codes from these cars. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

They do in IL, Advance Auto here has the Actron CP9580A AutoScanner Plus, which you can buy for <$187 shipped online… Yes this scanned pulled my code from my '01 SS, just fine.

Phone first, before you go!

Originally Posted by camarokid91
I just went through this it sucks trying to find one. Sullivan tire wanted to charge me $99 dollars for diagnostic. I walked out since you can buy the scanner for $150.I ended up posting on Facebook and a friend had one. You should try reaching out on social media or forums in your region you never know what you will find. Good luck.

Advanced and Autozone do not do ABS codes in MA, I went to several locations trying to get it done.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

You Sir are just flat out wrong. There are plenty of aftermarket scanners that read ABS… AutoXray and Actron to name two…

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Auto parts store scanners don't read the BCM, which is what controls ABS. Anybody who mentions an auto parts store from here on out will be talked badly about to no end You must find a dealer or independent shop with a Tech type scanner Period. There is no other way to access the BCM. Your alternatives are 1. pull and clean each wheel speed sensor and hope that is a quick fix (they get dirty often), or 2. do an ABS delete.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

He's talking about the general run of the mill places. SOME will have a nice one. It's hit and miss. NONE of the Advance, AZ's, O'Reilleys, Pep Boys around me have a scanner that can read ABS codes.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

You can get this ABS scanner ('96 & newer cars) for $80 shipped online if you have an iPhone or Android device:

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16367
Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well thanks for adding relevant info. I could care less as my abs is in the bushes. I will make a note for future threads though.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Actron scanners that specifically mention ABS are do read ABS codes (as libertyforall said above)... these are what some AutoZone store loan out (for refundable deposit).

Same with AutoXray (the one that mentions ABS).

EFILive tuning package reads ABS codes (actually it reads and clears codes for all modules on the serial bus).

AutoEnginuity reads ABS codes and can do bidir with the ABS controller (requires GM Enhanced option).
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
The Actron scanners that specifically mention ABS are do read ABS codes (as libertyforall said above)... these are what some AutoZone store loan out (for refundable deposit).

Same with AutoXray (the one that mentions ABS).

EFILive tuning package reads ABS codes (actually it reads and clears codes for all modules on the serial bus).

AutoEnginuity reads ABS codes and can do bidir with the ABS controller (requires GM Enhanced option).
Thanks for the info above. I did some research and confirmed that the $150 Equus 3150b will read the ABS codes for our cars. Think I might give it a shot. Would rather drop $150 on a scanner then pay someone $100 to plug it in and tell me what's wrong!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
actually, abs is controlled by the Electronic Brake Control Module, or EBCM, which is the big control unit located on the actual ABS pump/Solenoid pack. But still, most autozones have a simple obd II scanner that is only good for engine codes. A snap on eithos or greater scanner can read everything you need access to, too bad you aren't close to me, you could use mine.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRUTL
actually, abs is controlled by the Electronic Brake Control Module, or EBCM, which is the big control unit located on the actual ABS pump/Solenoid pack. But still, most autozones have a simple obd II scanner that is only good for engine codes. A snap on eithos or greater scanner can read everything you need access to, too bad you aren't close to me, you could use mine.
Thanks BRUTL. Ironically, I grew up in Elizabeth City, NC and given that there isn't much to do there we had to go to Norfolk or Newport News for dinner/movie/shopping/etc. I head up there frequently however since I have a little guy we always travel in the wife's SUV and the SS stays in Georgia.

I just bought the Innova Equus 3160d scanner off of Amazon for $159. Found a lot of other info online and it seems this should be able to help diagnose the ABS issue. If it works, it should prove to be a helpful tool to have around (especially when you encounter brake issues at the track). Sucks losing part of a track day because of what could be a relatively simple issue to fix.

Quick Reply: Best way to get an ABS scan?