Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to cut springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have cut springs and love it. I took one full coil from the front with KYB shocks.

I did the heater hose mod on the rear. I will be cutting the spring half a coil and putting the rubber isolator back in.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I have cut springs and love it. I took one full coil from the front with KYB shocks.

I did the heater hose mod on the rear. I will be cutting the spring half a coil and putting the rubber isolator back in.
So would you recommend cutting half a coil on the rear instead of the hose?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The factory upper spring isolator will be removed and not reused with the "Hose Mod".

For the "Hose Mod", you'll need right about 18" of 5/8" ID oil/fuel line hose for each rear spring, so 36"(3ft.) total. What you do is slide the hose over the end (up top) of the spring, until you have covered about 1 full coil with 1"-1.5" of hose hanging past the end of the spring. Cut off any excess hose beyond the 1-1.5" overhang, then reinstall spring without the factory gm upper spring isolator.
Have you done it? 5/8 or 3/4?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Ah 3/4 od 5/8 Id
Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a search for " muffler cut off tool " It will cut through a spring in about 20 seconds with minimal heat destruction. Don't forget to paint the cut end of the spring to prevent rust. Edit: check harbor freight ~$20
Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did this to my last car, an LS swapped 91 Bird, i cut one whole coil off with an air operated cut off wheel and then wrapped 2 layers of electrical tape around the top coil and installed with no rubber isolator. Got 3.5" of drop and ran it with bilstein HD's, car was on rails and was not overly harsh at all believe it or not. I miss the way that car handled.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countryguy1717
So would you recommend cutting half a coil on the rear instead of the hose?
Thats what I wish I would have done. Heater hose mod seems harsh when it compresses. The isolator gives the spring something to push into. IMO it takes just as much time as the heater hose mod and its the correct way to be a cheap ***. lol

I used a sawzall to cut mine. With a fresh blade it takes just seconds.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I wish I would have done. Heater hose mod seems harsh when it compresses. The isolator gives the spring something to push into. IMO it takes just as much time as the heater hose mod and its the correct way to be a cheap ***. lol

I used a sawzall to cut mine. With a fresh blade it takes just seconds.
Well Hell I just did the heater hose. Had to use 5/8 1" hose. Havent lowered it yet as I'm doing the panhard. But those springs! Mine did NOT fall right out. I undid the shock, let the rear hang and had to put a spring compressor on the spring just to get it out and in even afyer the hose mod.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Well Hell I just did the heater hose. Had to use 5/8 1" hose. Havent lowered it yet as I'm doing the panhard. But those springs! Mine did NOT fall right out. I undid the shock, let the rear hang and had to put a spring compressor on the spring just to get it out and in even afyer the hose mod.
Once you have the car up on jackstands and the shocks undone, you can use your floor jack to jack up one side, thus lowering the other side. Then that spring will drop right out. I've had to do that on some cars, while on others they came out with a little tugging.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Once you have the car up on jackstands and the shocks undone, you can use your floor jack to jack up one side, thus lowering the other side. Then that spring will drop right out. I've had to do that on some cars, while on others they came out with a little tugging.
Nice Ill try that for the driver side
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

nothing wrong with cutting springs but founders performance has Vogtland springs for $168 + shipping 1.2 inch drop all the way around and i have heard they do great
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Loosen the end-links until the nuts are only on by a couple of threads, or remove them. This will allow move movement of the rear-end. FYI, yes I have done the Hose Mod, my recommendation are from my experience from doing it. You possibly could use a smaller 1/2"ID hose than a 5/8"ID, but it might be a pain to install beyond the first 6". The reason I used 5/8" was for ease of installation without using any lubricant that could cause the Hose to break down prematurely.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

I will say this, I hope I never have to remove the fronts again. I don't know if it was the spring compressor I rented or what but it was a pain to tighten the springs enough to get some slack to take the nut off. Then putting them back on, I forgot to put that shock sleeve bump stop inside of the spring before I compressed it until I realized it wouldnt go in after it was compressed because of the clamps. Then I compressed it again using 3 coils and it was all the way compressed and still not enough to get the shock nut back on. PITA to compress and decompress by hand.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say this, I hope I never have to remove the fronts again. I don't know if it was the spring compressor I rented or what but it was a pain to tighten the springs enough to get some slack to take the nut off. Then putting them back on, I forgot to put that shock sleeve bump stop inside of the spring before I compressed it until I realized it wouldnt go in after it was compressed because of the clamps. Then I compressed it again using 3 coils and it was all the way compressed and still not enough to get the shock nut back on. PITA to compress and decompress by hand.
It's best to use an impact gun with the hook type spring compressors, just dont use an impact on a cheap tool as I had found out the hard way (Autozone tool, stripped the threads right off the main shaft). Makes it a 2 minute job and no busted knuckles.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh yeah been there done that. So glad I have an impact now, makes using those compressors so much easier AND faster.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 91FormulaKiller
It's best to use an impact gun with the hook type spring compressors, just dont use an impact on a cheap tool as I had found out the hard way (Autozone tool, stripped the threads right off the main shaft). Makes it a 2 minute job and no busted knuckles.
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Oh yeah been there done that. So glad I have an impact now, makes using those compressors so much easier AND faster.

Bloody fingers, knuckles, fatigued arms are all part of the experience right? I had the kind with a hook and weak *** safety pins loaned from oriellys, hard as hell to compress. i tried my impact gun to decompress one of the times but it shifted the compressors so I got worried and did it by hand. Threw the new rotors on painted the calipers, new end links. I cut 3/4 inch off the coils, I think about 10.5 inches. now it sits 1 1/4 passenger side 1 3/4 drivers. I'm %80 happy wish the drivers side was lower but I'm not pulling those out again for another 2 inch cut on the drivers side. I'm debating pulling the rears that already have the heater hose mod and cutting a few inches from em. I like where the pass side sits just not the drivers side. I may live with it. Here's where I stand now:

Pass side where I want it

Front end, just a reflection on the hood

Drivers side still a little high

Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I know tinted windows are next, trying to decide between %40 and %50 fronts as its illegal here

Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The drivers side will go down some once you in the car.

Quick Reply: how to cut springs?