Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to cut springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to cut springs?

Before it turns into a debate of save up for lowering springs, and cutting is fine. I've heard and read different stories on both. Consider me a person that has to learn the hard way. Here Is my deal.

I'm replacing the rotors and pads on my 98 z28 and figured while I'm in there id paint the calipers black and cut the springs. (If its that bad I'll pop for lowering springs). All I'm looking for is about a 1" drop. I have an adjustable panhard bar that I need to install as well. As It stands now the rear pass side sits lower than the drivers side and i think the pass rear side is tucked into the wheel well a little more than drivers side. Here's my questions:

What tool should I use to cut the springs and How much. Like I said a 3/4-1.25" drop is all I'm looking for. Should I use a jig saw or dremel with a cutoff wheel?

How do I adjust the panhard to center the rear?

I read about putting heater hose sheathed around the rear spring but how does that lower it?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just don't use a torch or anything with heat, as that will alter the spring rate. Many will say don't cut, but lots of people have done it and it looks good and they say it still rides good; some say just as good or better than lowering springs.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Just don't use a torch or anything with heat, as that will alter the spring rate. Many will say don't cut, but lots of people have done it and it looks good and they say it still rides good; some say just as good or better than lowering springs.
Thanks, ya I read that touching them weakens the metal through heat, but i don't have access to a torch regardless. I'm just wondering if a jig saw or dremel will do the job. Thinking about taking half a coil, maybe 3/4
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Torching*
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

A cutoff wheel would work. I know that one set needs to cut from the bottom and one set from the top, but can't recall which. I would have to search for the answer, but know its been covered before.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

A cutoff wheel would work. I know that one set needs to cut from the bottom and one set from the top, but can't recall which. I would have to search for the answer, but know its been covered before.
I'm pretty sure the rears cut from top and fronts from bottom. Basically non tapered side. I'm just wondering about the dremel cutoff wheel because those things burn up quick.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

I think a Dremel would be too weak. You'd have to use a zillion wheels. A professional grade pneumatic drill with cutoff wheel would make pretty short work of it. But the best way is to use a chop saw. Any exhaust shop would have one. Literally takes a second.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I think a Dremel would be too weak. You'd have to use a zillion wheels. A professional grade pneumatic drill with cutoff wheel would make pretty short work of it. But the best way is to use a chop saw. Any exhaust shop would have one. Literally takes a second.
I'd like to do it at home preferably.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Launching!

How much do you think 3/4 of a coil will drop it?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by countryguy1717
Before it turns into a debate of save up for lowering springs, and cutting is fine. I've heard and read different stories on both. Consider me a person that has to learn the hard way. Here Is my deal.

I'm replacing the rotors and pads on my 98 z28 and figured while I'm in there id paint the calipers black and cut the springs. (If its that bad I'll pop for lowering springs). All I'm looking for is about a 1" drop. I have an adjustable panhard bar that I need to install as well. As It stands now the rear pass side sits lower than the drivers side and i think the pass rear side is tucked into the wheel well a little more than drivers side. Here's my questions:

What tool should I use to cut the springs and How much. Like I said a 3/4-1.25" drop is all I'm looking for. Should I use a jig saw or dremel with a cutoff wheel?

How do I adjust the panhard to center the rear?

I read about putting heater hose sheathed around the rear spring but how does that lower it?
Ok so i'm in the same boat, some what as you...I got a set of SLP Bilsteins and SLP springs. The rear Springs came cut with one coil removed. So I installed and they got about 1'' drop. but my fronts are not cut so im literally stuck and unsure as what to do.

As for you cutting did you consider the Heater Hose mod? works good for the rear. the front would be cutting a coil.
I would see at least 1.50 if you remove a coil from the stock springs. the ride would be really bad too. good luck man ! As for cutting, I used a cut off wheel on my Monte Carlo SS to cut them, took about two to three
wheel for all four springs

Last edited by TransAmTimmy; 02-27-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: un finished
Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Yes the rear is front the top , the fit into the rubber isolator and the fron, I have them off on my car now and they fit into the bottoms with the plastic isolator.

Originally Posted by countryguy1717
I'm pretty sure the rears cut from top and fronts from bottom. Basically non tapered side. I'm just wondering about the dremel cutoff wheel because those things burn up quick.
I use one 4inch cut off wheel for two spring a while back on my Monte Carlo, I think the dremel disc would take too many, IMO.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd only use the dremel to get the cut started, they take to long, and even if you have several packets of the reinforced cut-off wheels, there's still the chance you'll burn up your dremel with it's small motor. I've cut coils faster with a good hack-saw and some new blades, than with a dremel. Regardless DON'T use a torch!
Preferably, You'll want to use a air powered die-grinder with a 4" reinforced cut-off wheel, or a electric die-grinder.

Furthermore, in the rear I would only do the hose mod, since the factory spring don't have any dead coils.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-28-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

A drill wont turn fast enough with a cut off wheel. Use a die grinder or an electric angle grinder.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Get one of these. Every car guy should have one.

It will not only hold grinding discs, but also 4" cut of wheels which will get your spring job done nicely.

Last edited by speedtigger; 02-28-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

^What he said...

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 4" cut off wheel. It will accept cut off wheels and grinding discs. I've used mine SO many times.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EdgarB
How much do you think 3/4 of a coil will drop it?
From what I've read hopefully about an inch?

Originally Posted by TransAmTimmy
Ok so i'm in the same boat, some what as you...I got a set of SLP Bilsteins and SLP springs. The rear Springs came cut with one coil removed. So I installed and they got about 1'' drop. but my fronts are not cut so im literally stuck and unsure as what to do.

As for you cutting did you consider the Heater Hose mod? works good for the rear. the front would be cutting a coil.
I would see at least 1.50 if you remove a coil from the stock springs. the ride would be really bad too. good luck man ! As for cutting, I used a cut off wheel on my Monte Carlo SS to cut them, took about two to three
wheel for all four springs
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd only use the dremel to get the cut started, they take to long, and even if you have several packets of the reinforced cut-off wheels, there's still the chance you'll burn up your dremel with it's small motor. I've cut coils faster with a good hack-saw and some new blades, than with a dremel. Regardless DON'T use a torch!
Preferably, You'll want to use a air powered die-grinder with a 4" reinforced cut-off wheel, or a electric die-grinder.

Furthermore, in the rear I would only do the hose mod, since the factory spring don't have any dead coils.
Originally Posted by speedtigger
Get one of these. Every car guy should have one.

It will not only hold grinding discs, but also 4" cut of wheels which will get your spring job done nicely.
Thanks for all the responses! I guess I'll go get a grinder with a cutoff wheel to make my day easier. I'm still not sure how the heater hose mod works? I understand that you basically wrap the spring in heater hose and put it back in, but how does that lower the car?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

The heater hose replaces the upper rubber isolator (which is about 1" thick). So you wrap the top coil or so with the heater hose.

Personally I didn't like how that didn't allow the spring to sit flat anymore. It was probably fine seeing as the previous owner drag raced the car without issue but I didn't care for it.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Back in the day we would stack two of the Dremel discs together, worked like a charm. Now i got air tools and a die grinder.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory upper spring isolator will be removed and not reused with the "Hose Mod".

For the "Hose Mod", you'll need right about 18" of 5/8" ID oil/fuel line hose for each rear spring, so 36"(3ft.) total. What you do is slide the hose over the end (up top) of the spring, until you have covered about 1 full coil with 1"-1.5" of hose hanging past the end of the spring. Cut off any excess hose beyond the 1-1.5" overhang, then reinstall spring without the factory gm upper spring isolator.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The factory upper spring isolator will be removed and not reused with the "Hose Mod".

For the "Hose Mod", you'll need right about 18" of 5/8" ID oil/fuel line hose for each rear spring, so 36"(3ft.) total. What you do is slide the hose over the end (up top) of the spring, until you have covered about 1 full coil with 1"-1.5" of hose hanging past the end of the spring. Cut off any excess hose beyond the 1-1.5" overhang, then reinstall spring without the factory gm upper spring isolator.
Cool ill give that a shot before i cut the rears. Any draw back to this mod? Can this hose be found at home depot?

Quick Reply: how to cut springs?