Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone had success with BMR springs and SLP Bilstien shock combo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had success with BMR springs and SLP Bilstien shock combo?

I'm looking for a budget minded suspension upgrade for my 02 ws6. I recently bought the BMR lowering kit and now im looking at shocks. I came across the SLP Bilstein shocks on The WS6 Store's website and wanted to get some input from someone who had experience running this setup or knew someone who has. Any input acrually would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

this is what I'm looking to do myself I bought my BMR's from them back in January, I spent a few hours last night searching this subject and the consensus is they work well together, will give a smoother ride for a daily driver vs. Koni's but have a bit more body roll in the corners then the Koni's do so Koni's are better for cornering.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Launching!

I would love to put konis on, but im on a budget since I am saving money to do more to the car suspension wise. My ws6 isnt dd anymore and plus I would think its time to replace the shocks because I have 106k on the car right now, so id loke to take care of the shocks too while im doing the springs. Tired stock shocks and lowering springs = fail. Lol
Old 03-10-2014, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Bilsteins combined with our springs are a good smooth riding combination. We actually sell a fair amount of this combination. They have excellent valving for a smooth ride for a daily driver. They will allow for slightly more aggressive handling than stock, but I still would not recommend going autocrossing with them. But if you just want something good for cruising, they are a great choice.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
I would love to put konis on, but im on a budget since I am saving money to do more to the car suspension wise. My ws6 isnt dd anymore and plus I would think its time to replace the shocks because I have 106k on the car right now, so id loke to take care of the shocks too while im doing the springs. Tired stock shocks and lowering springs = fail. Lol
Yeah, man I'm totally with you, I'm in the same boat but with nearly DOUBLE the mileage (i'm over 205k). Actually since posting that I have placed my order for the SLP bilsteins over at ws6store (this is my 3rd time ordering something from them). Koni was just the point of reference ALL shocks are compared to on hear. Now I can focus on other things I wanted to get done with my tax money instead of loosing another 400 to shocks.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Bilsteins combined with our springs are a good smooth riding combination. We actually sell a fair amount of this combination. They have excellent valving for a smooth ride for a daily driver. They will allow for slightly more aggressive handling than stock, but I still would not recommend going autocrossing with them. But if you just want something good for cruising, they are a great choice.
I dont plan on making this an auto crossing car at all, just a nice 'boulevard bruiser" type of car. Nice handling, but I dont want the harsh ride either. I bought your kit a couple weeks ago and I gotta tell you, for the price its a great kit to lower an fbody correctly! I cant wait to get it on the car and get handling nicely.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SLP Bilsteins on the front, I consider a decent compromise
when paired with a higher spring rate; their bump damping
is lower (so you feel the pavement less) and the rebound
is higher than the regular Bilsteins (so you still control the
spring*mass OK).

At the back, Bilsteins is Bilsteins and I found them not too
comfortable, I'm back to stock springs, a thin isolator (do
not know the source, they were in my buddy's take-off cart
at his shop, I tried them and they fit with hose-mod type
height, and that makes the rake right against Hotchkiss -1"
fronts while Hotchkiss rears were too low). I gave the rear
Hotchkiss and rear Bilsteins away to somebody local, forget
who.

My rear shocks, which I'm perfectly happy with, make the
suspension purists
Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

I can't even mention how impressed with ws6store I continue to be with every order, less then 6 minutes after placing the order (for the SLP Bilsteins) I had a tracking number, less then 2 hours after placing the order Fedex had picked the order up and is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday.

I should get the rears in this weekend but it will be a few weeks for the fronts probably.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I can't even mention how impressed with ws6store I continue to be with every order, less then 6 minutes after placing the order (for the SLP Bilsteins) I had a tracking number, less then 2 hours after placing the order Fedex had picked the order up and is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday.

I should get the rears in this weekend but it will be a few weeks for the fronts probably.
Mike over at WS6 Store is awesome!

Like Eric said we have a bunch of customers using the BMR lowering spring/Bilstein shock combination and I would have to say 99.9% of our customers are extremely happy with them. It is a good, affordable combination that works well for daily driven cars.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Launching!

So I have a question, I rather ask in this thread rather than start a new one. So I got all Bilstien shocks in a week ago. Im going to install them this weekend and a couple things got me thinking. One thing is - the metal collar looking part, im guessing thats the bump stop that gets hammered down in the front shocks correct? Second thing- does the lower spring perch come off the stock shocks to use on my new shocks? I havent taken apart the front shocks of an fbody yet so that's why im asking.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

So I have a question, I rather ask in this thread rather than start a new one. So I got all Bilstien shocks in a week ago. Im going to install them this weekend and a couple things got me thinking. One thing is - the metal collar looking part, im guessing thats the bump stop that gets hammered down in the front shocks correct? Second thing- does the lower spring perch come off the stock shocks to use on my new shocks? I havent taken apart the front shocks of an fbody yet so that's why im asking.
Does this answer your 2nd question?

And not to rain on your parade, are you aware of the front "nut issue" our cars are famous for?

Starts like this...

Ends like this...(after cussing, screaming and maybe a lot of lost time)

Good Luck, fun times!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Launching!

That is just crazy! Im glad the lower spring perch does come off to reuse on the new shocks I have. Im actually very aware of the nut issue. I originally was going to put the springs themselves in on the stock shocks, but while things were apart, I decided to just get new shocks when I saw the top nuts on the front shocks. Then I decided I'll just take the new and old shocks and just have them do the work for me, let them handle it for me. If not....I'll try to figure it out.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That is just crazy! Im glad the lower spring perch does come off to reuse on the new shocks I have. Im actually very aware of the nut issue. I originally was going to put the springs themselves in on the stock shocks, but while things were apart, I decided to just get new shocks when I saw the top nuts on the front shocks. Then I decided I'll just take the new and old shocks and just have them do the work for me, let them handle it for me. If not....I'll try to figure it out.

Tip for next go around
, after you put that pack together, cover the new nut and threads in some sort of grease to avoid this in the future
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157

Tip for next go around
, after you put that pack together, cover the new nut and threads in some sort of grease to avoid this in the future
I definitely second this recommendation because it will ensure that you don't have to deal with a rusty mess next time you have to disassemble the front shock assembly.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Ah, good point. Also, to properly make sure the suspension doesnt bind when get everything together and the tires back on the ground, I should get everything hand tight and then load the full weight of the car on the suspension and then tighten it all up correct?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i also will be installed the BMR springs and SLP bilstein shocks. cant wait for the improvement in my ride quality
Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Yea im stoaked about it. Now that ive had the front end apart from the first time I failed to do this, I kinda know what im doing now. But ive heard nothing but great things about this setup. Good luck on the install though, it will take you longer then expected if its your first time and if your doing it alone like I am.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Lol that rust isn't even half as bad as the **** I was looking at last year. What a mess......

Pics aren't focused that great cuz I took them quick lol...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone had success with BMR springs and SLP Bilstien shock combo?-img_2816.jpg   Anyone had success with BMR springs and SLP Bilstien shock combo?-img_2817.jpg   Anyone had success with BMR springs and SLP Bilstien shock combo?-img_2819.jpg  
Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Holy crap FormulaJoe, now thats insane! Mine isnt any where near as bad as everyone elses, but it was rusty for sure. I`ll see tomorrow when i blow the front end apart and see if i can get a shop to just deal with it for me lol
Old 03-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Launching!

I'd use nickel anti-sieze too. I know right where you're at with the cost of the Koni's. I got SLP Bilsteins, and couldn't be happier with them.

Quick Reply: Anyone had success with BMR springs and SLP Bilstien shock combo?