Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Grinding sound when turning left hard

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Grinding sound when turning left hard

I have this weird issue and since I'm about to buy a bunch of rear suspension parts, and also doing a 4.10 gear, I wanted to hopefully tackle this while I'm back there.

I'm about 75% sure that this problem was happening BEFORE I did rear Bilsteins and Strano springs, but it could have been after. It was definitely before I did front Bilsteins and Strano springs.

When I'm doing a fast left turn, there seems to be a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the rear passenger side. I was pretty sure it was the tire rubbing against the wheel well, but every time I've checked for any signs of rubber in the wheel well or scrapes on the tire, I couldn't find anything. One friend said that he thought the sound was definitely mechanical, not rubber. The more I listen to it, the more I'm thinking he's right.

My Decarbons were in bad shape before I lowered with Strano, so I remember thinking it's still feasible that the back of the car was dipping low enough to have the wheel well contact the tire. Bump stops were completely gone too. In any case, it definitely still happened after lowering. I got new bump stops too, if that's any help.

It's not just any hard turn, it's a fast turn that just slow enough to not break loose into a power slide. Obviously with powerslides it definitely made the sound.

Sound inside the car can be a funny thing sometimes, but I've had other people in the car mention that they think it's coming from the same place. Before the Bilsteins and Strano springs, and front swaybar, I had 0 upgrades in suspension on any side of the car.

Also, the sound was never quieter or gradually increased, it was just flat out never there, and one day I just heard it. Granted, I don't powerslide everywhere I go, but on nice days, I definitely push turns so it couldn't have been doing that "for years."

Funny thing...doesn't happen at all when I turn right. I could do donuts turning right and there's no issue.

Does this sound familiar to anyone or any ideas on what this might be and what should be replaced?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a brake dragging/scrapping sound when I took HARD corners after doing new pads and rotors, but I haven't noticed it in a while (but it has been to cold for windows down driving till just recently).

could be the same thing maybe?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very similar situation here. Lowered, new brakes and some suspension pieces. I have it narrowed down to either the drive shaft safety loop or the front brakes.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LFSADRG
Very similar situation here. Lowered, new brakes and some suspension pieces. I have it narrowed down to either the drive shaft safety loop or the front brakes.
From inside the car does it sound like it's coming from rear passenger side? Just wondering how you narrowed it to front brakes. I don't have a loop.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

Possibly a wheel bearing on the passenger side
Old 04-25-2014, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

try taking out everything and putting them back in
Old 04-25-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

Turning left puts weight on the passenger side making a bad wheel bearing grind and if turning right and hearing a growl could be a wheel bearing on the drivers side, jack it up and rock the tire up and down for movement
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fengstang
try taking out everything and putting them back in
Just did that and same. Replaced brake hardware and slider bolts on passenger side, same. Replaced brake hardware and slider bolts on driver side, same. Removed drive shaft loop to be sure the drive shaft, for whatever reason, articulated enough to hit the loop, same.

The sound is more like a scraping than anything else. Happened after I lowered the car with Vogtland springs.

Piece of ****.

Last edited by LFSADRG; 04-25-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Launching!

It was the parking brake. Removed passenger side wheel, removed caliper, removed caliper bracket, tried to remove rotor and it was hung up. Spun parking brake adjuster screw all the way in. BTW, it was frozen so had to bang the hell out of it and adjust out then in. Removed rotor, inspected, cleaned. Reinstalled everything, did test drive, slow/fast hard left turns, no scrape/grind.

That sucked.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Launching!

^^^^^

Originally Posted by cyberkill
When I'm doing a fast left turn, there seems to be a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the rear passenger side.
Check your parking brake assembly on the passenger side..
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LFSADRG
^^^^^

Check your parking brake assembly on the passenger side..
Oooh! Glad you found where your sound was coming from! Hope that's the same problem for me! Thanks!!!!

I'll post when I've checked!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

good for you OP!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I couldn't get to the parking brake this weekend, but I did at least take the wheel out and inspect it a little. Wish I took a picture of it, but there is definitely scoring happening on the inner part of the tire. Problem is, I couldn't really see anything sharp that would make such perfect lines along the tire like that.

What I ended up doing is I jacked up the front driver side up a bit to put a bunch of weight on the rear passenger tire, and as I snaked my hand behind the tire (the tire was back on again), I felt a spot where I thought the tire was rubbing against the wheel well. I had a small wood sliver that I used to try to trace the back of it, and when it got to that point, I couldn't even feed the sliver through the space, so I'm pretty certain that the tire is touching the well.

I'll eventually check the parking brake too, but, say that the grinding really only started after I installed shocks & springs. Is this a common thing if I haven't done PHB or LCA Relo or anything like that yet? I have 0 suspension mods in the back, outside of the shocks and springs.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound when turning left hard