Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

to install aftermarket k-member or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default to install aftermarket k-member or not

I want more room to work on this thing, the weight savings are just a bonus. Its not a race car (in my mind), but merely a car that sees a few thousand km a year of sunshine driving and night time beatings. Plan is a 400+ci motor with forced induction, so I'd like to do this at the same time as the motor install (along with control arms). I am a fan of the MWC products, but I don't know how theres would handle street driving?

Is anyone running one of these on a street car?

I'd really like to hear from Eric, and the guys at UMI and BMR. Would MWC make a "road race" version with extra bracing? I'm no expert, so I'm looking for experience, not "i know a guy" type of stories.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

The UMI road race k-member looks really good for a street car. BMR has one designed to fit turbos.

I've stayed away from the K members since I drive my car on the street, but the UMI road race one has me thinking about doing it.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Do it, they are so nice. I'm running a PA Racing Chromoly with no issues......OOO I know I'm gonna die soon!!! Everyone says don't run chromoly on the street.....it's fine.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

MWC chromoly and street drive it a bit. Go with a mild steel for street. Even though chromoly would be fine
Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would stay away from anything that doesn't positively
guarantee street duty service for a good long while.
Good luck finding any. Marketing happy talk does not
count.

If I had it to do over I'd attack a stock K with the plasma
cutter. Much more robust.

Take a careful look at how the K that interests you is built.
Some have critical welds that are just asking for fatigue
failures and then your front end comes apart as far as the
steering rack will let it, and your crank pulley comes to
rest on the sway bar. True story.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cav101
I want more room to work on this thing, the weight savings are just a bonus. Its not a race car (in my mind), but merely a car that sees a few thousand km a year of sunshine driving and night time beatings. Plan is a 400+ci motor with forced induction, so I'd like to do this at the same time as the motor install (along with control arms). I am a fan of the MWC products, but I don't know how theres would handle street driving?

I'd really like to hear from Eric, and the guys at UMI and BMR. Would MWC make a "road race" version with extra bracing? I'm no expert, so I'm looking for experience, not "i know a guy" type of stories.
We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you out more on front end parts!

The MWC k-member and control arms are a great package and will give you the space to work, adjustability, and weight reduction you are looking for. Although we do not have a "road race" version available I can sure add some extra bracing to help out with rigidity.

I personally have had the other brands in my hands and there are a few things top point out. One brand in particular has the rack mounted crooked. Two different cars... same crooked rack issue. Other brand has descent quality, but weight is as almost as much as stock... the lowers were not a bit lighter than stock.

MWC has never had any failures of design quality with your application. Of course our lowers are light weight and super strong, we incorporate a unique a shock mount that eliminates the t-bar setup and therefore the common issues of the other brands that need spacers or brackets that bend.

Regardless of all that MWC is your one-stop shop for rearends and any other suspension items. We have the highest quality and guaranteed lowest prices!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Does your front work with stock style suspension?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I am bias because of UMI... but personal experience, I currently have 35,000 miles on the same K-member on my personal car. My car is exposed to street, light drag and autox.

As for road race k-members. We build in extra bracing, but you only need the road race version if you are actually road racing the car. For street driving or drag use you will be just fine with our standard version.

I hope that helps some, If you have any additional questions please ask.
Ryan
Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your front work with stock style suspension?
It sure does.

Our standard setup is engineered to work with turbo systems with up to 5" down pipe, and stock suspension mounting points. All k-members include engine stands and steering mounts.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you plan on driving your car daily or even on a regular basis, stay away from chromoly. The 1-2lb weight savings you might get, aren't worth the risk of cracking a weld or bar from the vibration and stress of street driving. I'm not going to come in here and blow a bunch of PR smoke at you, I'll just leave you with this; We have been building k members for these cars longer than any other sponsor on this forum. There are thousands of them out there on street and track used cars. Our designs have been proven over the years and we have several options to choose from based on your combination. Give us a call and I can get you set up with what you need
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Launching!

All great responses, thanks guys. I'm looking at getting uppers, lowers, and the k-member. I currently do not road race it, but auto cross is something I'd like to get back into after a 10 year break, and I don't want to be worrying about my subframe if I choose to do so. It's a "do everything" type of car.

On that note, do you guys offer package deals? Do they work with a stock steering rack? Stock style suspension (I know the MWC does).

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes they all carry versions that work with stock stuff.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All great responses, thanks guys. I'm looking at getting uppers, lowers, and the k-member. I currently do not road race it, but auto cross is something I'd like to get back into after a 10 year break, and I don't want to be worrying about my subframe if I choose to do so. It's a "do everything" type of car.

On that note, do you guys offer package deals? Do they work with a stock steering rack? Stock style suspension (I know the MWC does).

Thanks again guys.
Hello, Yes we offer a few packages and could change a package to your needs as well. I will list a link to our packages below, please take a look and let me know if you have any questions. The UMI components will work with stock style suspension, stock rack and any shock that bolts in the factory location. Some the race style lower a-arms only allow bearing mounted shocks which are great shocks but not be best for street applications. We also offer a ton of bushing options for the lower a-arms for comfort and performance.

Here are our kits: UMI front suspension packages

Lower a-arm options: UMI's Lower a-arms

Please let me know if you have any questions and I am happy to help! You should find our pricing very similar to the other companies, but if price is a concern we will match competitors.

Ryan

Quick Reply: to install aftermarket k-member or not