Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Softer suspension for 2002 Camaro SS SLP: New Shocks or Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softer suspension for 2002 Camaro SS SLP: New Shocks or Springs?

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a softer (floatier) ride for a 2002 Camaro SS SLP (currently all stock.) The car has 72,000 miles. I inherited the car from my father but I live in New York City (don't worry, it's garaged) and I feel every bump (hard) and the car creaks over each bump. I already used spray white grease on the springs and ball joints, but to no avail.

I've searched through previous threads but it looks like most people want a tighter suspension but I was looking for a looser, more forgiving suspension. I know its a performance car and I don't expect it to ever drive like a Buick but any recommendations on how to make it ride a little less tight and have a smoother (city friendly) ride would be appreciated.

I hear Bilstein's and Monroe's are good. Maybe they have a "touring" version in addition to their "performance" versions.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shocks seen to be your key figure here. Bilsteins would be a great choice, heck Koni Str.ts would be good too, I've heard they have a tad better rebound than Bilsteins and cost possibly even cheaper. I'd seriously rethink about the Monroe's for an F-body...

Springs should be well off, especially if it's your daily driver for comfort and a more forgiving ride.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone through 3 sets of Monroes before I finally got something worth a ****.... They kept blowing out almost yearly.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm_103
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a softer (floatier) ride for a 2002 Camaro SS SLP (currently all stock.) The car has 72,000 miles. I inherited the car from my father but I live in New York City (don't worry, it's garaged) and I feel every bump (hard) and the car creaks over each bump. I already used spray white grease on the springs and ball joints, but to no avail.

I've searched through previous threads but it looks like most people want a tighter suspension but I was looking for a looser, more forgiving suspension. I know its a performance car and I don't expect it to ever drive like a Buick but any recommendations on how to make it ride a little less tight and have a smoother (city friendly) ride would be appreciated.

I hear Bilstein's and Monroe's are good. Maybe they have a "touring" version in addition to their "performance" versions.
Post pics of the underside of your car aimed at the suspension so we can all verify that it is truly stock.
Do you know if you have the optional SLP Bilstien suspension?
Spraying grease on the springs wont do anything, its likely the control arm bushings and swaybar D bushings making the noise, try greasing those or replacing them.
Next, what tires are you running and are they known for a stiffer sidewall? What tire pressure are you running? Don't be afraid to lower it into the high 20psi range for ride quality.
What do your rear bumpstops look like? Are they even intact? Do you still have the SLP spacer on them (you can take that off to gain extra travel which will improve ride quality).
Finally the shocks, if you want a more loose ride then monroe's might be what you are after, although they may end up blowing out (they are **** for these cars, but might ride extra soft for you). Worst case scenario you can take them back to autozone and get your money back if you don't like the way they ride and then try bilstiens. Bilstiens will be more firm, but less jarring than the stock decarbons, but will not be floaty and loose like a buick, monroe sensatrac will likely be the floaty loose style.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah sticking to the factory decarbons or the monroes will be more forgiving and spongier compared to the other shocks.
Also the factory springs should not be replaced.
Thats about it
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

My car rides better than it did stock on BMR Lowering Springs and Koni SA shocks. And by better, I mean, more comfortable and much lighter steering, no crashing over bumps, etc. And the BMR springs are 550/160 vs the stock 292/114 spring rates... So if it rides BETTER with that much more spring, imagine what a good shock would do for you.

Go with the Koni STR.T. The DeCarbons are pure crap.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Shocks seen to be your key figure here. Bilsteins would be a great choice, heck Koni Str.ts would be good too, I've heard they have a tad better rebound than Bilsteins and cost possibly even cheaper. I'd seriously rethink about the Monroe's for an F-body...

Springs should be well off, especially if it's your daily driver for comfort and a more forgiving ride.
Thank you for the response! Bilsteins seem to be the most recommended so I will look into those. Glad to know I don't need to replace the springs.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Post pics of the underside of your car aimed at the suspension so we can all verify that it is truly stock.
Do you know if you have the optional SLP Bilstien suspension?
Spraying grease on the springs wont do anything, its likely the control arm bushings and swaybar D bushings making the noise, try greasing those or replacing them.
Next, what tires are you running and are they known for a stiffer sidewall? What tire pressure are you running? Don't be afraid to lower it into the high 20psi range for ride quality.
What do your rear bumpstops look like? Are they even intact? Do you still have the SLP spacer on them (you can take that off to gain extra travel which will improve ride quality).
Finally the shocks, if you want a more loose ride then monroe's might be what you are after, although they may end up blowing out (they are **** for these cars, but might ride extra soft for you). Worst case scenario you can take them back to autozone and get your money back if you don't like the way they ride and then try bilstiens. Bilstiens will be more firm, but less jarring than the stock decarbons, but will not be floaty and loose like a buick, monroe sensatrac will likely be the floaty loose style.
I'm sure everything underneath is stock as my father was pretty thrifty..I also looked through the records when he passed and everything seemed to be normal maintenance, no real upgrades. The car does have the SLP package (according to the original window sticker) with the center exhaust so I would assume it also has the SLP suspension.

I'm not sure what size tires my father put on the stock chrome SS wheels but the tires state 44 PSI and I have them at 30.

I will definitely try lowering the PSI to 28 & greasing the control arm bushings and swaybar D bushings. If that doesn't improve, I'll look into Bilsteins & Koni's.

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Keep your stock springs and get a set of Bilsteins. They will definitely soften the impact harshness and yet be tighter at the same time. I've had both Bilsteins and Koni's and IMO, the Bilsteins are better at absorbing the sharp bumps. The improvement will be amazing. Worn stockers - like yours at 72k - are the WORST for generating harshness.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At that ride height, those have got to be factory springs
and there's nothing softer there (other than V6 ones, maybe).
I did not find the stock ride quality harsh at all, going to
Bilsteins hardened up the back and I took them back off.
Fronts, the SLP Bilsteins are OK for ride quality (but I think
that option may be gone?).

Creaking wants you to pull and lube every rubber joint
you can get at. Especially sway bar bushings, LCAs and
the Panhard, get dry and noisy if you don't.

Quick Reply: Softer suspension for 2002 Camaro SS SLP: New Shocks or Springs?