Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cts v brakes on an f-body

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cts v brakes on an f-body

so im looking to upgrade front brakes on my 99 formula. is there a big difference between the 4 piston ctsv calipers and the 6 piston ones. the 6 piston ones are almost twice the price.would it be worth it to get the 6 ppiston ones?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you need at least an 18 inch wheel for the CTS-V calipers... either 4 or 6 piston..

Also as far as I know the 6 pistons will not bolt up to the F-body spindle... only the 4 pistons do with a few washers (but dont quote me)
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also as far as I know the 6 pistons will not bolt up to the F-body spindle... only the 4 pistons do with a few washers (but dont quote me)[/QUOTE]

^^^Wrong..... They will bolt up. Just need to enlarge the spindle bolt hole for the caliper. Google search STI killer Camaro and GMHTP did the swap. But you do need the offset wheels
Old 11-08-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

so you need to enlarge the holes on the spindle or the holes on the caliper??
Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Spindle hole
Old 11-09-2014, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
you need at least an 18 inch wheel for the CTS-V calipers... either 4 or 6 piston..

Also as far as I know the 6 pistons will not bolt up to the F-body spindle... only the 4 pistons do with a few washers (but dont quote me)
I have 18s up front so that's no problem. and the 6 piston fit the same way the 4 piston ones do, you just gotta make the hole for the bolts bigger
Old 11-09-2014, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JJsQwuik
Spindle hole
any thoughts about getting the 4 piston over the 6 piston or vise versa?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vlad1995
any thoughts about getting the 4 piston over the 6 piston or vise versa?
Cost would be one concern, secondly would be that the brakes wouldn't work evenly, they would be more biased to the front and the rear would lock up. Read up on GMHTP STI killer and they tell you everything you need to know. In the end they switched out the 6 piston for the 4 piston
Old 11-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Cost would be one concern, secondly would be that the brakes wouldn't work evenly, they would be more biased to the front and the rear would lock up. Read up on GMHTP STI killer and they tell you everything you need to know. In the end they switched out the 6 piston for the 4 piston
Could you put up a link of that cause the only one i can find is where they are putting the 6 piston ones on. Thanks
Old 11-13-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

i have the 4 piston front and ZO6 rotors, i have yet to lock up the brakes. GMHT did the front and rear cuz they wanted more rear braking, and that ended up not working in their favor as the rears locked up. Pony up for the Wilwood f/r theyre rear setup was designed for Solid Rear axle, shouldnt cause any dangerous pad knock issues, as their rotors are a floating rotor i believe. for bout 3k you can have a sweet f/r setup, u pay nearly 3k for a brembo or stoptech front only.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to track your car the 4 pistons are preferred due to the brake bias. 6 Piston would be for show and daily driving. Reason why they swapped to the 4 piston.

You could fix this with an adjustable brake proportioning valve and drop the ABS... and add larger rear brakes, but that the long hard route which I haven't seen anyone take.

You will also need to buy the brake line kit for CTS V conversion. Do a search its an easy find.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I still don't get everyone's obsession with putting larger rear brakes on these cars. The design of the chassis and the balance of the car makes larger brakes useless. Stock LS1 brakes are more than strong enough with good pads and rotors. What's the point of spending all that money, and having to dial out all the rear brakes with a prop valve? Might as well burn your cash.

The first time you encounter axle hop under braking, you will immediately regret putting larger rear brakes on the car. It's violent, unsafe, and DESTROYS parts. And guess what, a car with axle hop under braking isn't stopping too well.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry for the rant, but my point is you have to pay careful attention to the balance of the braking system. The brembo 4 piston are much better in this regard. Leave the rears alone, and you will have an extremely capable braking system.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
I still don't get everyone's obsession with putting larger rear brakes on these cars. The design of the chassis and the balance of the car makes larger brakes useless. Stock LS1 brakes are more than strong enough with good pads and rotors. What's the point of spending all that money, and having to dial out all the rear brakes with a prop valve? Might as well burn your cash.

The first time you encounter axle hop under braking, you will immediately regret putting larger rear brakes on the car. It's violent, unsafe, and DESTROYS parts. And guess what, a car with axle hop under braking isn't stopping too well.
Large Rear brakes for me will be for show. Large front CTS-V calipers with cheap rear calipers is a show fail. If people didn't care about looks their brakes on their cars the new Corvettes, Vipers.. and all other high end cars would have the old cheap looking calipers still. Same argument can be made for 19" or bigger wheels.... I can't stand the look of the stock looking factory calipers.. something that belongs on a econobox to match the rear drums. I'll pay 5 grand+ to fix replace all of them properly if I have to.

I'm looking at the Wilwoods front/rear or going the other route and replacing all the brakes with light weight racing brakes and putting on drag wheels instead.

Last edited by blaine123; 11-13-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vlad1995
Could you put up a link of that cause the only one i can find is where they are putting the 6 piston ones on. Thanks
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/bra...bc-rotors.html

and the other brake upgrade:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cha...econds-part-1/

Last edited by blaine123; 11-13-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-13-2014, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Here is the other brakes they added. Some reason it won't let me add it to my other post....

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cha...econds-part-1/
Old 11-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blaine123
If your going to track your car the 4 pistons are preferred due to the brake bias. 6 Piston would be for show and daily driving. Reason why they swapped to the 4 piston.

You could fix this with an adjustable brake proportioning valve and drop the ABS... and add larger rear brakes, but that the long hard route which I haven't seen anyone take.

You will also need to buy the brake line kit for CTS V conversion. Do a search its an easy find.
well the 4 piston seem to be the better overall upgrade, they are cheaper then the 6 piston and are better for performance it seems.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 79_T/A

yeah i wasnt planing on touching the back, except for some better pads, its the front that im wondering about
Old 11-16-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blaine123
Large Rear brakes for me will be for show. Large front CTS-V calipers with cheap rear calipers is a show fail. If people didn't care about looks their brakes on their cars the new Corvettes, Vipers.. and all other high end cars would have the old cheap looking calipers still. Same argument can be made for 19" or bigger wheels.... I can't stand the look of the stock looking factory calipers....
And yet SOME of us still pull it off

Quick Reply: cts v brakes on an f-body