Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weird Noise from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Noise from rear suspension

OK I have Founders 3-piece poly control arms and the poly on car adjustable panhard and Bilstien Shocks and BMR springs and everything has been fine for 5+ months till a few weeks ago when I began feeling and hearing this "rattle", at first I only noticed it on gravel driveways but now I can hear/feel it over most any hard bump, it feels like the rear shifting just a little.

knowing how hard it is to describe a sound I made a video the other night driving on the gravel driveway at work @0:11 seconds in the video is when I transition onto the croncrete ledge of the bridge (which is heard as the hard bump) so while the sound occurs there (along with some others, that is not the sound) and pretty much stop after the @0:27 mark after that keys and other things take over sound as I'm going to slow to notice it.

I'm worried it may be the axle bearing, you may need to turn your volume up or put on headphones, the video was shot by me holding the phone in my left hand and trying to hold it as close to the interior of the wheel well while driving with my right hand.

the first three or four seconds after the hard bump @0:11 seams to be the clearest of the sound I'm talking about.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 PM

Sounds like a bad strut...check to make sure the nuts are tight on the axle and behind the back seat..does sound like a bad wheel hub bearing like on the front but its hard to diagnose over the internet from a video...put it up on jackstands and run it or get under there and grab your driveshaft and yoke and shake it around or anything that could possibly be loose. If everything seems tight then maybe bearing in rearend...when mine went out it sound like crunching not rattling
Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSXCamaro1998
Sounds like a bad strut...check to make sure the nuts are tight on the axle and behind the back seat..does sound like a bad wheel hub bearing like on the front but its hard to diagnose over the internet from a video...put it up on jackstands and run it or get under there and grab your driveshaft and yoke and shake it around or anything that could possibly be loose. If everything seems tight then maybe bearing in rearend...when mine went out it sound like crunching not rattling
here is a new video I shot last night

if you listen from 0:14 to 0:20 you here 2 distinct sounds, one is the key chain rattle and the other is a scratchy sound that comes as I hit bumps (if your listening with headphones it ONLY comes up on the left audio channel).

Gonna get under it this weekend and check everything good, I visually inspected it all last week by backing it up on ramps and all the nuts and bolts looked tight but I will recheck them with wrenches. The upper shock mount is solid, thats ones easy to tell with looking at the bushing.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guessing wheel bearings.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This may seem very basic but just from the second video the sound starts as soon as you start slowing down, which is when you start applying the brakes. The rest of your video seemed fine, but I could be wrong. Simple things seem to slip the mind, worth a shot to check
Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
This may seem very basic but just from the second video the sound starts as soon as you start slowing down, which is when you start applying the brakes. The rest of your video seemed fine, but I could be wrong. Simple things seem to slip the mind, worth a shot to check
the sound (i'm trying to catch) also occurs when NOT braking, it happens when going over bumps, (which there are a lot of as I pull up to that stop) like if I hall *** up my dirt road it will do it too, I'll try to get another video going over rough pavement (gravel just creates to much noise) tonight to see if it exhibits the same scratchy sound or not to rule out the brake possiblity for sure, but I doubt it's the brakes because I hit them like a second or 2 before the sound started at 0:14 Brakes aren't off the table, they are one thing I'm considering, like maybe one of the slide pins is hanging and causing a drag.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:20 AM

The rattling if only happens when hitting bumps sounds like struts...if its all the time even on a perfectly flat road probably bearings...the scratching noise happens from brake dust...take the garden hose and spray off the rotors good and on the pads for 5 seconds and itll stop...mine use to do that till i got ceramic then the brake dust stopped and my rims dont turn so black so fast...semi metallic and basic pads do it BAD.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSXCamaro1998
The rattling if only happens when hitting bumps sounds like struts...if its all the time even on a perfectly flat road probably bearings...the scratching noise happens from brake dust...take the garden hose and spray off the rotors good and on the pads for 5 seconds and itll stop...mine use to do that till i got ceramic then the brake dust stopped and my rims dont turn so black so fast...semi metallic and basic pads do it BAD.
the scratchy sound does seem to only occur when braking when listening closely, I do need to give it a good wash so i'll see how that does, my pads are Wagner ThermoQuiets which are supposed to be ceramic pads, but I haven't cleaned the wheels in months.

I'll get back in here tomorrow night after I check things out closer.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Spray the pads/calipers really good with the hose...i use to have to do it with my moms car when she first got it but i put new rotors and ceramic brak pads and it stopped and a lot less black stuff on the rims.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear brakes are floating calipers like the front. When you hit a bump, the rear may shift a little causing the brakes to make noise if one has a sticky pin. Grease all the sliders and spray anti squeal on the back of the pads.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise from rear suspension