Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring compressor

I'm going to install konis/stranos next weekend, I've searched and can't find a specific spring compressor to use.... Anyone have any specific recommendations?

Thanks

Matt
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
I'm going to install konis/stranos next weekend, I've searched and can't find a specific spring compressor to use.... Anyone have any specific recommendations?

Thanks

Matt
This is the one I used for my to do the fronts

https://www.google.com/search?q=spring+compressor&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=dHu6VJXiCI-BygTYqILYBQ&ved=0CC0Q1TU&biw=360&bih=640#spd=67553 75452926349478
Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the one you can rent at autozone and it worked great.
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...or/555557_0_0/
Old 01-17-2015, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dabest09
I used the one you can rent at autozone and it worked great.
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...or/555557_0_0/
if you do it yourself use ones like this that "lock" around the coil, but BE VERY CAREFUL, handheld spring compressors have a tendency to slide, it happened to me once and pinched the palm of my hand between the 2 of them, luckily I was near help that was able to pry them apart, much much worse things can happen if they slip off, these days I just pay a mechanic to do that stuff, those handheld ones are dangerous.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
if you do it yourself use ones like this that "lock" around the coil, but BE VERY CAREFUL, handheld spring compressors have a tendency to slide, it happened to me once and pinched the palm of my hand between the 2 of them, luckily I was near help that was able to pry them apart, much much worse things can happen if they slip off, these days I just pay a mechanic to do that stuff, those handheld ones are dangerous.
Thanks for scaring the **** out of me!

I've read up on a ton of it and plan on being ridiculously careful w/ the spring compressors. The shops around me want a ton of money for installation, **** that!

Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Likewise -- I also used ones noted above through the tool rental from AutoZone and they worked well. Pretty simple job if you take your time and be careful.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
Thanks for scaring the **** out of me!

I've read up on a ton of it and plan on being ridiculously careful w/ the spring compressors. The shops around me want a ton of money for installation, **** that!

Thanks
I paid 325 in labor to have them install all new lower and upper control arm bushings and upper and lower ball joints on the front plus do the shock/spring replacement. (alignment was done at a different shop)

another option (if you have access to another car) is you can pull them off the car and take them to a mechanic and just have them swap parts around then re-install them in the car, that way you do all the labor except the part requiring spring compressors, I've had that done on other cars and just had to pay like 40 bucks or so, but not everyone has access to another car.

don't get me wrong that was like the third time I had used the spring compressors when it caught my hand so you can use them just try to find something to support/hold the shock in place so you can keep your hands away from it.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've just recently used the ones like those from autozone. If you are using all new parts and do not need to dissemble the originals, the strano's, because they are shorter, will be relatively easy to assemble using the compressors and a ratchet. If you need to dissemble the originals, which longer longer springs, you will likely need an impact gun to compress those. I did need to remove the lower spring perch plastic from my originals, so I had to dissemble them, and the only way to get enough torque was to use my impact gun. Mine is a harbor freight electric and it worked fine. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Teching In

You can use the spring compressors you rent from AutoZone as stated above. They will work just fine. I literally just finished the front portion of this exact set up so far I love the look. Just be careful, these springs worn out or not can hurt you tremendously or worse. As long as you take your time and pay attention you won't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Spring compressor