Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

air ride suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default air ride suspension?

I saw this article in online magazine about air ride suspension being installed on 4th gen.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/sucs-0600-chevy-camaro-air-ride-suspension/

It be cool to hear from someone who done it?

Obviously the car won't be a lowrider but something that looks great while parked and raises a lil to avoid scraping lts.

Found this pic online, kinda liking the look minus the messed up wheels.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 05-06-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had anything of that quality level, but I did have air cylinders on my old civic, nothing but trouble, leaky valves on the solenoids, o-ring blow outs in the cylinders, never could hold pressure over night. All that said the ride was nice, and totally adjustable, if you wanted firm you bump up the pressure (which raises you up) if you want smooth you lower it down (just not so far you bottom out), you can literally dial in the ride you like best, great for a weekend cruiser and of course you can lay it out when parked. or do some 3 wheeling tricks (with the cylinders).

and yes I realize I was a total RICER back then, but that was 10ish years ago when I was like 20 and was riding on the coat tails of the 2nd Fast and Furious movie.

Edit: 1 thing that is really nice about air ride is if you plan out the valving right you can add a "spare" line with a quick disconnect that you can use to refill the tires or in a pinch briefly run a impact, like enough to change a spare. You can also go very manual with it and rig up manual valves to a quick connect fitting so you save the costs of the valves and switch box, I knew a guy who did that on his truck.
Attached Thumbnails air ride suspension?-img28.jpg   air ride suspension?-img08.jpg   air ride suspension?-img09.jpg   air ride suspension?-img10.jpg  

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 05-06-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yuck that looks terrible but ask and you will receive

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trans-am.html
Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I spent years building air ride setups in the mini truck world. Just like everything, the quality of service you get out of the parts goes with the quality of the parts used and the install. I fixed some pretty haggard setups. My trucks were daily driven and in all that time I only had 1 airbag failure(that was my fault, forgot to trim something). Use DOT approved airline, good quality push-loc fittings and use thread sealer. Choices in valve brand goes a long way as well. I always used SMC valves and they were very reliable. I had GC's for awhile and hated them. Noisy, sticky and leaky. For the front i would recommend a strut bag. The rear can use a traditional bag and cup, but the front you will have to use a cylinder or a strut bag. Cylinders as mention above are a good bit more maintenance intensive. But a properly done setup will ride better than any static setup. My body dropped 73 c10 rode beautifully with the rockers 1/2" off the ground. I'm not a big fan of cars on air, but if you are looking to go that route, I would rather see you do it right

Without mentioning any specifics, there is another vendor on this site that offers very good quality air ride products, and they have offerings for these cars. Hopefully they will chime in here for you
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I saw this article in online magazine about air ride suspension being installed on 4th gen.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cha...de-suspension/

Obviously the car won't be a lowrider but something that looks great while parked and raises a lil to avoid scraping lts.

That has to be photoshoped. No way you'd get that chamber from a live axle. It looks unrealistic, notice how the front clip is less than an inch off the ground? That would put the rocker panels on the ground and all the stuff underneath that hangs below it (like the frame and ****) under the ground. Here's a pic for reference.

Air ride is cool stuff, I could've sworn they had a dual chamber air ride spring that could adjust height AND stiffness independently. So you could go higher and softer or lower and stiffer if you wanted to. Gonna have to look it up.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

User on here named Skraight had an SS with full air-ride and while that picture you put up is no doubt photoshopped, his car was pretty damn close to that. I haven't been active on here in a long time now but last I remember he had the car up for sale so I don't know of anything recently.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that RideTech, a sponsor here, has very high quality air suspensions for our F-bodys.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

also https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-obsessed.html has air ride, would of posted sooner but it took me a while to remember the name so I could find it.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 05-15-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
User on here named Skraight had an SS with full air-ride and while that picture you put up is no doubt photoshopped, his car was pretty damn close to that. I haven't been active on here in a long time now but last I remember he had the car up for sale so I don't know of anything recently.
Here is some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails air ride suspension?-8794099979_aee9d6b4bd_b.jpg   air ride suspension?-8964739489_dc1b4b9f73_b.jpg   air ride suspension?-8964739577_67a4d7ffc8_b.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 PM

Default Air Ride

Here is our 02 slammed on 20's
Attached Thumbnails air ride suspension?-20140716_065327.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 PM

Default Air Ride

A few more pics!
4" Air Cylinders in the front and Slam RE6 bags in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails air ride suspension?-20140716_065340.jpg   air ride suspension?-fb_img_1445728234843.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:14 PM

Default Air Ride

Here are a few pics of the car on 22's
Attached Thumbnails air ride suspension?-img_1687.jpg   air ride suspension?-img_1689.jpg   air ride suspension?-img_1688.jpg  
Old 01-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cha...de-suspension/

how do you not scrape exhaust I have single 3” and 1 1/2 inch lowering springs and I can’t go down many roads

Quick Reply: air ride suspension?