Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering the t/a- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering the t/a- need advice

Alright so I'm going to be lowering the T/A. As of now u got the Panhard bar and bmr lowering springs. Tomorrow I'm going to be ordering the koni STR.T shocks hopefully they are in stock. Is there anything I should replace while I'm doing this..also any do's and donts. Also what tools were needed to complete the task. Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-18-2015, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Get a rear LCA relocation bracket as well. That way you can keep the LCA geometry correct. I would also go with an "on car adjustable" panhard bar ... just makes life a lot easier.

General tools are all I used. You will need a spring compressor for the fronts. After you pull the shocks, If the nut is frozen to the shock's shaft and you have the springs compressed enough, you'll be able to slip a saws all blade in there and cut through the shaft just under the shock mount. Make damn sure you have the spring compressed enough. I cut through mine in 20 seconds - done.

Other than that ... it's a cake job. If you jack the rear under the frame letting the axle hang, you'll be able to wrestle the springs out of there. Also with the lowering springs, I did not have to compress them to get the mount tightened down to the front shocks.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

I got the on car adjustable Panhard bar, I will be looking into the lca relocation brackets. Is there like a step by step with pictures to dumb it down since I'm going to be doing this myself...they charge out the *** in wyoming
Old 06-19-2015, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

honestly man, the rears are super easy, hell the only easier rear end I've come across is my trailblazer and thats only because the upper shock mount is MUCH easier to get to.

on the f-body the rear upper mount is under the carpet at the upper corners of the rear seat, so you need to pull that out of the way, unhook the rear shocks to allow the rear axle to drop, pull the springs and swap in the others attach shocks, while the shock is out install the lower control arm relocation bracket (most now wrap around the lower shock mount). As for the fronts there are plenty of write ups on those floating around.

oh and when you install the LCA relo bracket don't tighten the nut going into the control arm till you have the suspension loaded, panhard takes literally 10 minutes to do, I did it with the drivers side on the ground and the passenger rear wheel off the car, super easy.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might take a look at the bushings and ball joints, might as well change the fronts (at lease the upper control arm) out while you are there.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Front Shocks/Springs

Rear Shocks/Springs

Ls1howto ftw
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info guys gonna be ordering my stuff today
Old 06-19-2015, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Definitely will need to panhard bar. I did my viking coilovers about a year ago and am now ordering relocation brackets for the lower control arms (wheel hop like a b***h!!)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Haha yeah that what I keep hearing about the wheel hop...as of now the koni str.t are sold out everywhere so I guess imma have to get headers lol...but at least I got everything order so when the shocks become available I can get to it
Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Who did you talk to about the STR.T's? Try calling Sam Strano if you haven't already..
Old 06-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to bmr and ws6 store and they are both out...I'll be calling sam as soon as I get out of work see if they got some in stock
Old 06-19-2015, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately the Koni STR.T shocks are on national backorder from Koni so pretty much everyone is out of stock on them. We have a large order with Koni for them but they have generally just been sending us small batches of them and as soon as we get them in they ship out.

If you want to place an order for these shocks with us you can and it will put you in line for them. The nice thing about us is that we don't charge you for them until they are ready to ship so there is really nothing to lose.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:03 AM
Staging Lane

Cool I'll be calling u monday for sure to get on the list
Old 06-21-2015, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i remember correctly there was a new set of koni str.t's for sale on the classifieds here not too long ago. Just anther option.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Odds are you'll need new upper shock ("strut") mounts up front, so just get new ones (AC Delco or Moog only in my experience, others just don't fit right). Don't forget the dogbone isolator piece that fits down inside the top of the mount.

Plus, if you get all those parts beforehand, you can pre-assemble the front components so when it is time to install them on the car you just drop out the old and put in the new. Make sure you have the shock and the mount aligned correctly. Don't do what I did my first time around and just slap them together or you'll be really mad when things don't line up lol.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

What are the part numbers for the mount and the dogbone...it is my first time doing this so I want to minimize any complications when installing this . Also what fo u mean by lining everything up...i decided to go with bilstein shocks since who knows when the koni going to be available so should be doing this in about 2 weeks depending when the parts get in and work schedule
Old 06-22-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by balboa25
What are the part numbers for the mount and the dogbone...it is my first time doing this so I want to minimize any complications when installing this . Also what fo u mean by lining everything up...i decided to go with bilstein shocks since who knows when the koni going to be available so should be doing this in about 2 weeks depending when the parts get in and work schedule
Moog K6516 (1 of these)
Moog K6517 (1 of these)
Moog K6573 (2 of these)

and you'll also want to get a new lower spring seat so you don't have to try to get that off of the old shock, If you go with the bilsteins. I used the Monroe part to save a few bucks, it is part number 904962 and you'll need 2 of them.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

The spring seat won't fit right in the koni's. You need to file it down just a smidge on the outer edge. Our seat is at a 90 degree corner. The koni's perch is rounded. Not to hard.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Anybody know where I can but those smoog parts listed above cuz I went to their website but it's tripping it won't let me order them
Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rockauto.com

Quick Reply: lowering the t/a- need advice