Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vendor Watts link differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Vendor Watts link differences

Of the 3 Watts links made by different vendors here for the f- bodies are there any particular performance, quality or longevity differences? I see MWC unit is very light weight, the other 2 seem like they may install easier? I wanna get this product bc I'm big into performance handling, and have recently spent a ton of money revamping the entire car.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm not sure how anyone's could mount easier than ours. As for performance differences from one manufactures to another they all do the same function but like you mentioned though ours is the lightest on the market and uses all high quality material and heim joints.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't speak to anything except the Fays 2 system. But "light" isn't always the best. I think the MWC setup gives more room for routing dual exhaust piped over the axle but if you run a single 3" or 3.5" it won't matter. My Fay's 2 can be removed in under 30mintes. They all mount to the body in the same way.

At first glance, I would look into what system is cheaper. For the occasional autocross or road race any of the systems will work for you. I'm not sure how much you have to push the watts link in order to find it's weak links.

FWIW, I know Fay's has been making them for a while and makes them for other vehicles like Mustangs as well. I'm not sure what other cars the MWC/BMR system is made for.

And just because, my car at autocross:
Old 08-14-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry about that, I was not sure that's why I included the question mark. I read some different threads that made it seem like the other units were completely plug in play, and the MWC needed a little more "attention" I guess. I like the weight and design of your unit the best looks to give more space if I go true duals on my exhaust, so MWC is probably where I'll end up.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Smitty, boy look at that suspension go!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Light doesn't mean weak. The strength comes from design and correct materials used, proper fitment and welding techniques.

The MWC propeller bearing is a high quality double row design that is as good or better than the other system that is bearing mounted. The other new one uses a poly bushing...

The MWC design allows for the most exhaust room without doubt, and is a full adjustable system. The entire setup is install friendly, comes with complete hardware, and a powdercoated finish. Another benefit is the best tech help you will find if there are questions during assembly or tuning.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a side note that video is awesome!!
It's amazing how much work the suspension really does!!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

A lot go to Fays2 because they hit the market first, then came MWC in their design giving more exhaust over axle room, then BMR hit the market just recently.

Some go MWC ONLY because it gives more space, most will stick to Fays2 and IMO it will take a little time for BMR to make an impact. Fays2 is the "original watts link" for Fbody's. MWC is different due to weight and exhaust clearance, but I have yet to really see how a BMR is better/different than a Fays2 since it seems to give same exhaust clearance and maybe marginally lighter in weight.

For me it would be price because I'm not out to cut every pound off my car AND I don't have an interest to run dual 3" exhaust.

Side note: I bought my Fays2 local off craigslist for a GOOD deal so that's why I have it. If I was buying new, I would get cheapest unit.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Just a side note that video is awesome!!
It's amazing how much work the suspension really does!!
Thanks, I made a GoPro mount just to get some video of it moving since I was always curious to see it.

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Light doesn't mean weak. The strength comes from design and correct materials used, proper fitment and welding techniques.

The MWC propeller bearing is a high quality double row design that is as good or better than the other system that is bearing mounted. The other new one uses a poly bushing...

The MWC design allows for the most exhaust room without doubt, and is a full adjustable system. The entire setup is install friendly, comes with complete hardware, and a powdercoated finish. Another benefit is the best tech help you will find if there are questions during assembly or tuning.
I didn't mean to make it sound like the MWC was inferior.

All systems come powedercoated
All systems are fully adjustable due to inherent design
All systems come with hardware

MWC, don't take this as I am downplaying and or bashing YOUR system. Just giving OP details on all systems. I know you guys need to take the "salesman" stance sometimes.

ALWAYS good to see multiple vendors producing and supporting Fbody's!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed my Fays2 Watts Link a year ago, and it really changed the feel of the rear-end. I am still tuning it, as it takes some time to find the right adjustment for your driving style. Install did take time to get right, it is somewhat a claptrap, but seems to be well worth it, and I recommend it. Only option not offered by Fays2 that I had an interest in was a chromolly version.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had both Fayes and MWC.

The MWC is lighter, by a fair bit, but the Fayes uses larger Hiem joints and better quality joints, at least in 2010 when I got mine. I threw the ones supplied in the garbage and bought QA1 Endura XMs for it. The hex rod is smaller on the MWC too. I have not used it, so I can say nothing about strength. It better hold up to 7 days of tracking in a row coming up in Sept.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

So how are adjustments made and why would they need to be made, and do they work well with lowered vehicles? Are the joints easily replaced in these?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99

I guess I just took for granted that you ONLY had a Watts Link setup for YOUR FAB 9, since that is mostly what you push for sale.

This is the first I'm hearing of you having one for 10 bolts.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Install did take time to get right, it is somewhat a claptrap, but seems to be well worth it, and I recommend it. Only option not offered by Fays2 that I had an interest in was a chromolly version.
When you say "claptrap" are you referring to it's design/installation/how it clamps to axle tubes, or is it that it actually makes A LOT of noise in daily use on bad roads (heim joint rattle/knock/hammering), and even MORE noise than a double rod ended panhard bar/lca set up???
Old 08-16-2015, 05:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dailydriver
When you say "claptrap" are you referring to it's design/installation/how it clamps to axle tubes, or is it that it actually makes A LOT of noise in daily use on bad roads (heim joint rattle/knock/hammering), and even MORE noise than a double rod ended panhard bar/lca set up???
I'm glad that you mentioned that bc it's important to me also, I do not want rattles and noise coming from the suspension.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I guess I just took for granted that you ONLY had a Watts Link setup for YOUR FAB 9, since that is mostly what you push for sale.

This is the first I'm hearing of you having one for 10 bolts.
We offer it for our fabricated nine inch or any other rear end as well utilizing our stands. As for heim joint quality we have been using the same heim joints for years with our watts link with no complaints of noise or failure and to be honest the ones we sell with our watts link are a higher quality heim joint than what some company's use with their LCA's or PHB's.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What is the range of adjustment on the MWC unit? How many inches lower can you make the roll center than the stock PHB? Also, have you compared the weight of the MWC and the fays2 (rampant)?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I will be getting a MWC due to their weight and clearance for duals. But curious to see if there is any difference in terms of performance between the three.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I will be getting a MWC due to their weight and clearance for duals. But curious to see if there is any difference in terms of performance between the three.
A watts link is a watts link. Simply having one is a performance benefit. IF any vendor or customer can come up with a reason WHY one may be better than the other I would be HIGHLY interested in the reason.

Besides weight and clearance for exhaust, the only other difference I can imagine would be the allowable rear roll center height adjustment range. And for the average joe bolting one of these on and not racing with it, roll center height allowance vs rear spring rate combos are not crossing their mind.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
What is the range of adjustment on the MWC unit? How many inches lower can you make the roll center than the stock PHB? Also, have you compared the weight of the MWC and the fays2 (rampant)?
Sorry I do not have the individual parts weights, as the Fays was for my Moser 12, and the MWC is for my MWC Fab 9. So the brackets are integral on the Fab 9. A huge weight savings there alone.

Adjustment range is similar, but the Fayes have half hole adjustment, where the MWC is full holes.

The Fayed would be significantly stronger, does it need to be, not sure.

Rod ends are Fayes 3/4" vs MWC 5/8" with corresponding sized hex bar. Bigger ID propeller bearing. A lot more steel in the Fayes. I would guess it weighs 40-50% more.

We will find out, hopefully not the hard way when the MWC unit and diff get tried on 160mph 1G sweepers. I hope they know their engineering **** or this could be be those famous last words.

Quick Reply: Vendor Watts link differences