Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

let's talk Torque Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default let's talk Torque Arms

Just bought an 02 TA with 120k and working on the suspension currently. I've already installed non adjustable LCA's and PHB, it's now time for springs and shock and I'm leaning toward coilovers. This could change and opt for 1-1.25 drop springs and Koni's.

The car has a vibration in it at 50mph. This could be a result of several things I just haven't had time to check out. Trans mount, TS bushings, or driveshaft. The wheels and tires are new with minimum weight required for balance so that's ruled out currently.

I need to understand the advantages of an aftermarket torque arm, which will be adjustable and will remove the mount off the trans tailshaft.

The car will be a street only machine and be driven frequent, no track.

Which manufacturer is recommended and why.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your going to lower your going to need an adjustable panhard bar.

You have two torque arm choices. Short and long.

I'd suggest a BMR with tq arm relocation bar since no track and all street
Old 08-23-2015, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Ive been running the long BMR arm and their relo crossmember and have been veey happy with it.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Ive been running the long BMR arm and their relo crossmember and have been veey happy with it.
Same setup here. Me also like.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

What does the arm and relocation kit do to the car as a street driver?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

The short tq arm just gets all the stress off the tailshaft of the transmission which is a good idea!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

The relo crossmember takes it off the trans tail also.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

The relocation crossmember serves several functions. One is taking the strain off of the tail shaft. It allows you to adjust the pinion angle more by giving you different mounting positions for the tq arm. It also looks way better than the factory member. The tq arm will have superior strength next to the stamped stock arm & also have the ability to adjust pinion angle.

My suspension is mixed with BMR, UMI, Spohn, & Hotchkis. All great components.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

So much more involved than just choosing long or short when it comes to a torque arm. Give us a call and we can discuss your vehicle and your goals and get you the correct torque arm configuration for you.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
The relocation crossmember serves several functions. One is taking the strain off of the tail shaft. It allows you to adjust the pinion angle more by giving you different mounting positions for the tq arm. It also looks way better than the factory member. The tq arm will have superior strength next to the stamped stock arm & also have the ability to adjust pinion angle.

My suspension is mixed with BMR, UMI, Spohn, & Hotchkis. All great components.
When you move the nose of a torque arm up/down it doesnt adjust the pinion angle, it adjusts the instant center. When you adjust the instant center it screws up your pinion angle and you need to reset it. You should do a little more reading so you can understand more about how a torque arm suspension works.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Torque arm height adjustment will affect pinion angle. The torque arm is connected to the housing, so raising or lowering it will make the pitch angle of the housing/pinion centerline change with the arm. This situation is the exact reason for an adjustable arm.

Pinion angle adjustment will also affect wheelbase as the pivot point is the LCA attachment point to the housing bracket, which is lower of axle centerline. Moving the wheelbase(via adjustable LCAs) will not have much of any affect on pinion angle.

A short arm(or commonly called tunnel mounted) will plant the tire harder as the instant center point is moved rearward in the chassis compared to a long arm. The angle of the LCAs will usually have more affect on the chassis than the length or height of the arm, but each car is a bit different in it's own requirements of what is "the best setting".
Old 08-24-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

With what you are describing for your usage and such, a full length torque arm with a trans relocation crossmember would be best suited for your application. For a street car, stick with polyurethane for the mount to keep vibration and such down to a tolerable level
Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats correct, you dick around with enough stuff and you will find your wheelbase to be incorrect and youll then be in need of adjustable lowers to correct this.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
When you move the nose of a torque arm up/down it doesnt adjust the pinion angle, it adjusts the instant center. When you adjust the instant center it screws up your pinion angle and you need to reset it. You should do a little more reading so you can understand more about how a torque arm suspension works.
So it seems this is also not 100% accurate. I was just trying to help the OP out a little bit. Not telling him what to do or get. I leave that for people like ssvert. Those are also the people I trust along with Martin@Tick, Tony Mamo, etc.

As you also have no idea of who I am, or my experiences, you should keep those *** wipe comments to yourself. Let's all just try & help one another.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

You stated, a crossmember allows you to adjust pinion angle. Bull ******* ****! Thats not why the damn adjustment is there, ask any one who fabricates them for a living and they will tell you the rear torque arm adjustment is for pinion angle, the front crossmember adjustment is for instant center. When you make statements like you did, it throws out all past present and future experiences, training or knowledge you might think you have and confuses people trying to learn how this suspension works. Go all high and mighty on someone else fella.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all good... we are here to help.

If anyone needs help on understanding the principals of how the car works and what is best for each individual application, feel free to give us a call and we can set you straight on what is best. MWC has the highest quality parts, best prices, and expert tech help to back it all up.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Actually, yes you can change pinion angle with the torque arm mount at the front. HOWEVER, that adjustment is mostly for instant center adjustment. Unless you have an adjustable torque arm, then your only adjustment will be the mounting position at the front. The idea of the adjustable torque arm is so you can set your instant center to where the car works the best, then adjust your pinion angle accordingly so you do not have to compromise one adjustment for the other
Old 08-24-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^^ exactly. And there is a reason there isnt notches in a torque arm for pinion angle......not near enough precision. Trying to do a pinion angle by the torque arm nose and holes that are 3/4 apart at best 5 to 6 options total would be silly .
Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Appreciate everyone's advice.

What I'm after is a better ride quality while stiffening up the chassis to remove flex.

Maybe I need SFC and coil overs, along with some new front end parts.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I believe If you lower the car you will need LCA relocation brackets as well to get the correct angle back.

Quick Reply: let's talk Torque Arms