Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me decide!

So I have a 97 Trans Am and its coming to the point where I wanna start on my suspension this fall/winter. I want to have all suspension addressed before next spring race season. The 1 thing Im not concerned about is is upper/lower A arms.

The hindrance I think I have is the car came with Ebiach lowering springs. So I've already purchased some LCAs with Relocation brackets to help. My question is, I have a deal and can have some coilovers for a good price. Is going coilovers better than just buying shocks and using my current springs?

They are rear coilover BTW. I was planning on working my way from the rear to the front.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What brand coilovers? What are the spring rates? an adjustable shock with a good rate will be beneficial for you. The eibach's are known for being not so great when it comes to straight line traction. The advantage of a good adjustable shock will be a big step in the right direction. If the deal is good, I wouldn't hesitate to do it
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badhombre
What brand coilovers? What are the spring rates? an adjustable shock with a good rate will be beneficial for you. The eibach's are known for being not so great when it comes to straight line traction. The advantage of a good adjustable shock will be a big step in the right direction. If the deal is good, I wouldn't hesitate to do it
They would be the Strange brand. And I have no clue what spring rate I would need. I dont wanna buy something that I would Have to put additional $$$ into. Barely can afford new so some slightly used would help me out greatly. If its very close to what I need.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are they single or double adjustable? Either way, Strange is good stuff. There should be a part number on the springs. That will tell you what the rate is. You want something close to 150lb/inch. Get that part number and we can figure out what they are. Also, do they come with the mounts for an f-body? Are they a stud mount top or bearing mount?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are they single or double adjustable? Either way, Strange is good stuff. There should be a part number on the springs. That will tell you what the rate is. You want something close to 150lb/inch. Get that part number and we can figure out what they are. Also, do they come with the mounts for an f-body? Are they a stud mount top or bearing mount?
Dont have any part numbers. I just found out they wouldnt work. I think by them being 16" long they are about 4" too short. So how would I figure out what size springs are needed?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My car cut 1.50 60fts all day long on eibach springs. I realize theyre not optimal but they can get the job done behind an auto for quite a while. Matter of fact, ive never run anything at the track but eibachs since I bought my car 8 years ago and I have a shoe box full of time slips. The single best traction mod for me was tires, et street radials to be exact. Then a combination of front end weight loss, and stuff to help the front end lift like lower arms, and now coilovers. Relo brackets and torque arms are part of the equation too but this is just my experience.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks I appreciate that info. I just dont wanna set myself up for spending $$$ twice. I think Im gonna go ahead and spend money for the S5070 DA shocks and see how they work out with my lowering springs.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Thanks I appreciate that info. I just dont wanna set myself up for spending $$$ twice. I think Im gonna go ahead and spend money for the S5070 DA shocks and see how they work out with my lowering springs.
Be careful on what you choose for a shock and spring package.. the mounting setups and spring configurations can get messed up easily. Best thing to do is give us a call and we will get you setup with the right parts, correct combinations, and of course the best prices too. MWC is a proud dealer for Strange Engineering products as well as many other manufacturers.

Quick Reply: Help me decide!