Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano Spring Install

I was running SS 32/19mm GM sway bars, SFC's, Adj. panhard bar, Bilstein HD's & a STB. I got tired of the wheel gap and the soft stock springs so I bought a set of Strano's. Man I'm loving them so far (~75 miles). The ride is not harsh or rough IMO vs stock. The car inspires more confidence now. The feeling in corners is less vague and it seems more predictable. Also the steering is more immediate & crisp. On top of all that I like the stance- even on the little 245/16's.
Thought I'd share a recent experience for anyone currently considering this mod.
Before:

After:

Last edited by MTs94Z; 11-23-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gotta love the ol' 4x4 look as you pull up to a stock camaro in your lowered one
Old 11-24-2015, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice.
mine are going on tomorrow with roto joint panhard.
can't wait
Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Thank you so much for the review. Always a treat when folks are happy with the product and take the time to post (and the pics are a nice additional touch).

I've had a lot of questions lately about how the car will look after. This is a perfect shot on a white car with 16" wheels. Lower but not slammed, maintaining good suspension travel while looking better.

Again, thank you for the review.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Gotta love the ol' 4x4 look as you pull up to a stock camaro in your lowered one
Spoken like someone who has first hand experience. Unfortunately I rarely see other 4th gens but I think now the ricers can appreciate that this car has had some "love" put in to it. Not that they ever tested it.....
Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
nice.
mine are going on tomorrow with roto joint panhard.
can't wait
Sweet. The whole attitude of the car just feels and looks right now. IMO the stance & handling are now on par w/ the aggressive styling of these cars.
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Thank you so much for the review. Always a treat when folks are happy with the product and take the time to post (and the pics are a nice additional touch).
No problem Sam. It gave me the opportunity to post a pic of my car . Thanks for the info & advise you provided. I'll be in touch soon enough about mods for next spring.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Nice.

What wheels are those (they look like a Sport Edition style from Tire Rack)?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Nice.

What wheels are those (they look like a Sport Edition style from Tire Rack)?
Thanks. They are Eagle Alloy wheels. They were put on back in '02 and have since been discontinued AFAIK.

Last edited by MTs94Z; 11-24-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

got 'em installed today along with UMI panhard with dual roto-joints (all bought from STrano). Love the new look, especially with the 315 DR's out back.
Had shop also put in new bung so wideband wouldn't get impacted with the new low ride height.
New alignment, set camber to -1.2. What do you guys set it to for aggressive street?

Why does drivers side look to be a little higher than passenger side? Isolators still in the rear shocks.
Attached Thumbnails Strano Spring Install-42808_resized.jpeg   Strano Spring Install-42812_resized.jpeg   Strano Spring Install-42863_resized.jpeg   Strano Spring Install-20151125_091153-1_resized.jpg   Strano Spring Install-20151125_145731-1_resized.jpg  

Strano Spring Install-20151125_145739-1_resized.jpg  
Old 11-25-2015, 06:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

got 'em installed today along with UMI panhard with dual roto-joints (all bought from STrano). Love the new look, especially with the 315 DR's out back.
Had shop also put in new bung so wideband wouldn't get impacted with the new low ride height.
New alignment, set camber to -1.2. What do you guys set it to for aggressive street?

Why does drivers side look to be a little higher than passenger side? Isolators still in the rear shocks.
Well you could swap springs side to side but it won't change anything as the springs are identical. I dunno, maybe the spring or isolator isn't seated correctly on the left? I mean something is odd (not the springs I know for sure but you can swap them to confirm). I mean that looks higher than stock on the LR so I think something isn't seated and/or the end of the spring isn't sitting in the notch of the isolator correctly as well.

That said it's not a good pic of the left. Grainy, shadowy, etc. And the drive definitely has some slope to it and with the solid axle you know how it pivots the axle under the car if the RR is on a little higher ground.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I agree the D-side looks high, & like Sam said especially the LR. I'd check to be sure the springs are seated in the isolators correctly.
FWIW after ~100 miles I think my springs/isolators have settled in. The front fender height measures exactly the same on L & R sides. The rear has a difference L to R of 11/16", which is less than the difference when stock.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...2_resized.jpeg

2MCHPWR The pic of your rear spring looks like it's showing the spring sitting right over the PHB. On my car the spring mounts/sits about 3-4" forward of the PHB. Is that a stock 10 bolt rear? If so I think the spring may be installed wrong which could be pretty dangerous. Maybe it's the pic angle?

Last edited by MTs94Z; 11-25-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

thanks guys. i'll look at that spring location later on just to be safe.
But since the install yesterday, and parked in my level garage, it seems to have settled.
I just measured drivers side is actually lower than passenger side. 26.75 " vs 27.
So all good.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Awesome.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

OP Thanks for the review and pictures.

I'm a bit torn myself with my current setup as the car rides horrible IMHO. Not bashing as I was forewarned.

The car was completely stock in October and it has really transformed over the last month or so.

Added adjustable Panhard, new poly lower CA's, Welded in relocation brackets for the rear.

Replaced tie rod ends on the front.

Stock ride was really good but didn't look so great. So I decided to change some things to help the look.

Added Viking D/A front coilovers and Rear Viking D/A with BMR rear springs, which are suppose to be 1.25" drop. The car now rides like a straight axle Ford A model.

My thoughts after several shock adjustment are this: The front ride is now so-so acceptable but the rear is terrble (insert voice of Charles Barkley).

Rear as that's the major concerning area.

1. Put the stock rear springs back in and have a backwards looking old Gasser?

2. Buy another set of rear springs and (or) shocks?

3. Some other completely different setup?

Front as it's only acceptable not perfecto.

1. Replace all bushing in the factory front control arms, sway bar bushing, ball joints?

2. Raise the car up an 1.000" to give it more travel?

Help would be appreciated. (attached a picture for current reference)
Attached Thumbnails Strano Spring Install-ta.jpg  
Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hmmm, this post is a little odd given it's about Strano Springs, but what the hell I'll tell you what's going on.

1. Crappy shocks.
2. Cheaper springs.
3. You added parts that bind the rear suspension up (poly bushed LCA bushings front and rear of the arm.

I think 3 is the real solution. Not sure how you ended up with what you did but I find there are two ways it happens. One is that folks see "Adjustable" and think that all shocks are the same in that way and one is as good as another when in reality what you are adjusting and when changes a lot. There are some non-adjustable shocks I'd prefer to some adjustable ones. The other reason is that it's something that is "recommended" because frankly Viking has a decent margin, sells for not a lot when folks see coil-over they go stupid, and so it's something many push.

Having said all that, a lowered car is both lower and stiffer than stock. Taller softer springs ride.... softer. But put lousy shock control on even the best springs and things go to hell in a hurry. Can we make it better? I think so, I'm pretty sure of it but I won't make any promises unless you call me to talk more detail about what it's actually doing.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

I Had the same positive results with my Strano spring combo. Very happy with the ride quality. Much better than stock. It helped I also changed to bilstein shocks and went with his sway bars as well, non the less, the car rides awesome over bumps, turns, and on smooth roads.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
I Had the same positive results with my Strano spring combo. Very happy with the ride quality. Much better than stock. It helped I also changed to bilstein shocks and went with his sway bars as well, non the less, the car rides awesome over bumps, turns, and on smooth roads.
Going by your Sig. that's a good looking & running car you have.
I'm looking forward to adding a set of Strano 35/22mm bars to my car ASAP. In the mean while I have a set of LCA relocation Brackets on the way via UMI.
Also I agree my car rides better, IMO, vs stock now. It's more connected w/ out being harsh or even rough in any way. Good to see another person happy w/ the Strano/Bilstein combo.

Last edited by MTs94Z; 12-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm happy to see it too. The thing with Bilstein's is not that they ride badly with the springs especially in the first 15k miles or so. It's that they aren't are crisp, tied down and controlled as Koni Sports. Koni STR.T's are in the same price range and offer a little more control than the Bilstein's, so when available, that's the way I typically go.

The Bilstein's have a place for sure I just place that slightly behind STR.T's (which weren't around when some of you guys bought stuff, and after they were they had some availability issues).

I'm just saying that for me it's dependent on what you want from the car.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I will probably try koni's next. I knew the bilstein weren't the top choice but so far they have been good. I haven't put too many miles on them yet but we shall see how they degrade over time with the lower stance. The car doesn't get driven much as is. They fit the need at the time.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

The Bilstein's have a place for sure I just place that slightly behind STR.T's (which weren't around when some of you guys bought stuff, and after they were they had some availability issues).
I'm just saying that for me it's dependent on what you want from the car.
Just curious- What is the advantage of STR.T's over Bilsteins?

Quick Reply: Strano Spring Install