Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing shocks on weekend driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing shocks on weekend driver

I am looking to replace my shocks by the end of the year. I have added 18" wheels and the rest is stock. I currently have the Bilstein HD shocks from Strano that I got about 8 years ago. Now after adding wheels I want to lower the car and get a more improved ride out of it. The roads in South Carolina are lacking at best this includes the interstate. I don't know if I should go with the Koni/strano springs or get the UMI/strano coilover kit that was recently released. The car is just a weekend driver with no racing done, I just want a nice ride that will hold the road when I want to drive more spirted.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Koni STR.T and BMR lowering springs. They have some awesome prices right now. Any reason you can't just add some lowering springs to your Bilsteins?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Bilsteins arent really meant for lowering springs and I want to improve the ride even more. I know koni sport have always been talked about on here as the best riding shock but with the new product just released by UMI/strano didn't know if those would be a better route for a non race car.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha. For the price, the Koni STR.T is hard to beat for the weekend cruiser or daily driver IMO
Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

In my experience, Bilsteins ride better than Koni Sports. Konis have given me an increase in impact harshness. If you are searching for adjustability and better handling, go for the Konis. But for ride comfort, stick with your Bilsteins IMO.

From what I've heard the STR.T's also are harsher than Bilsteins. That's only hearsay, but fits my experience with Koni's across the board.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recently had Koni STR.T's installed on my car and I'm really happy with them.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackram_air
I am looking to replace my shocks by the end of the year. I have added 18" wheels and the rest is stock. I currently have the Bilstein HD shocks from Strano that I got about 8 years ago. Now after adding wheels I want to lower the car and get a more improved ride out of it. The roads in South Carolina are lacking at best this includes the interstate. I don't know if I should go with the Koni/strano springs or get the UMI/strano coilover kit that was recently released. The car is just a weekend driver with no racing done, I just want a nice ride that will hold the road when I want to drive more spirted.
There are many options out there for street/handling applications.

The Umi/Strano is on the high end of that application and will outperform most of the others. We also have gas charged non adjustable shocks that aren't on our website yet.

If you have any questions or just need to discuss what will work best for your application feel free to give us a call here at the shop.

Craig
Old 08-01-2016, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bilsteins arent really meant for lowering springs and I want to improve the ride even more. I know koni sport have always been talked about on here as the best riding shock but with the new product just released by UMI/strano didn't know if those would be a better route for a non race car.
The UMI/Strano setup is dope, if you're in that price range I think it's the way to go. If not the koni sports and strano or BMR springs are nothing to scoff at.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Koni Str.T's are a great option for most street cars looking for lowered performance and ride quality. Only problem is, they are currently on national back order until October. They have become so popular they are literally selling faster than Koni can make them. Their valving compliments our spring rates well for a firm, yet smooth and controlled ride. Can't really go wrong with them. The Bilsteins would be my net choice for a similar application. They have similar valving, but don't seem to have as much of a firm positive feel under hard load

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone for the replies and help. I have had my eyes on the UMI/Strano Afco coil overs since they announced them. Glad to hear that they will apply to my needs.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Not so, Bilstein manufactures the "B8" shock specifically for lowered vehicles.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies and help. I have had my eyes on the UMI/Strano Afco coil overs since they announced them. Glad to hear that they will apply to my needs.
I've been very happy with the UMI/Strano setup on my car. There are lots of options on the market for these cars, but the UMI/Strano setup is excellent, I don't think you could be unhappy with it.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it's worth, I'm running Bilsteins and Strano springs on my track car. They perform quite well with lowering springs. They were a great budget option to upgrade from stock when I purchased them several years ago. Now that I'm spending more time on track (25+ events) I realize there's additional performance left on the table by not upgrading to Konis or the UMI/Strano coilovers, however that margin isn't as significant as getting more seat time in the car.

Sure, Koni Str.T's and Koni yellows are better suited to be paired with lowering springs, however I wouldn't go as far to say that your Bilsteins won't work well with them.

Feel free to go with whatever you choose, however if you're looking for better handling for spirited drives on curvy roads, I'd keep the Bilsteins and throw in a set of Strano springs and hollow sway bars. That would be a noticeable improvement from what you have.

Last edited by Midnight02; 08-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Another FWIW... I have the BMR spring and Koni STR.T setup on mine. I got the back installed and drove for 1 day before I was cut off and totaled the car (front shocks were on backorder). Just having the rear installed made a HUGE difference. I'm working on swapping everything over to a 2000 roller now.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another very happy customer/user of BMR 1.25" springs with Koni STR.T shocks.
Went from stock springs/ shocks to that set up and it is very good for my street driven car. It is a stock LS1/A4 car. Sees No track but highway pulls every time it is out.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just finished installing my BMR 1.25" springs and Koni STR.T's as well. After 16 years and 90k on the clock, this setup feels way better than the old DeCarbons and stock springs
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^Do you guys have any pics of your spring/shock combos?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
^^^^^^Do you guys have any pics of your spring/shock combos?
UMI/Strano I dropped about .75" all around extra in the back to compensate for my FAB9:

Replacing shocks on weekend driver-tybpp9km.jpg
Old 08-26-2016, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Black car is only the rear setup. Red car is all around, but without motor/trans
Attached Thumbnails Replacing shocks on weekend driver-photo175.jpg   Replacing shocks on weekend driver-photo862.jpg   Replacing shocks on weekend driver-photo846.jpg  
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I need to get some pics now that the front is finally lowered. I'll put some up later today

Quick Reply: Replacing shocks on weekend driver