Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering and ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok so I pulled out the spacers and guess what.....it dropped almost a solid inch even though the spacers are only 1/2". Not sure how that works, but now the front and back are almost dead even. Front is roughly 26.75" and same for the rear. I'm hoping the front will drop down another 1/4", but if not no biggy. If I feel like it I can do the hose mod for the rear to bring it up a 1/4" or so. Anyways, it looks much better now, and I'm pretty happy overall.

Oh and someone recommended getting the car aligned with a 1" raise, cause doing so angles the wheel better when drag racing. He said that might give another 1 mph at the track possibly. Said its an old trick a lot of guys do for drag racing. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Ok so I pulled out the spacers and guess what.....it dropped almost a solid inch even though the spacers are only 1/2". Not sure how that works, but now the front and back are almost dead even. Front is roughly 26.75" and same for the rear. I'm hoping the front will drop down another 1/4", but if not no biggy. If I feel like it I can do the hose mod for the rear to bring it up a 1/4" or so. Anyways, it looks much better now, and I'm pretty happy overall.
Good deal. IMO the spacer was compressing the spring more and therefor changing the spring rate. Even though you only added a half 1/2" spacer the spring was compressed more too which caused additional hight.

So now you have BMR springs in front with STR.T right?

I think an up to date photo is in order.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rybern
Good deal. IMO the spacer was compressing the spring more and therefor changing the spring rate. Even though you only added a half 1/2" spacer the spring was compressed more too which caused additional hight.

So now you have BMR springs in front with STR.T right?

I think an up to date photo is in order.
Yeah maybe you're right. I really don't know. I was trying to beat the rain yesterday so I just hurried up home, but will get pics soon. Yes I have BMR springs front and rear with the Koni STR.T shocks and struts. The only thing that is slightly different is that I have the Moog isolator in the rear vs the stock one. It's slightly thicker. I'm guessing maybe a 1/4". Which surprises me since the car sits exactly level now. I would've assumed there would have been more of a rake from doing it like this
Old 08-20-2016, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah maybe you're right. I really don't know. I was trying to beat the rain yesterday so I just hurried up home, but will get pics soon. Yes I have BMR springs front and rear with the Koni STR.T shocks and struts. The only thing that is slightly different is that I have the Moog isolator in the rear vs the stock one. It's slightly thicker. I'm guessing maybe a 1/4". Which surprises me since the car sits exactly level now. I would've assumed there would have been more of a rake from doing it like this
Thanks for clareification on the components your using. If my theory is correct then it should ride a tad bit softer after removing the spacer up front. Just a guess.... Please don't confuse me with someone that's smart.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for clareification on the components your using. If my theory is correct then it should ride a tad bit softer after removing the spacer up front. Just a guess.... Please don't confuse me with someone that's smart.
Haha no the ride feels exactly the same without the spacer, just looks much better. I originally wanted a 3/4" drop for both front and rear and theoretically what I originally did should have gave me that. But now without the spacer I got around a 3/4" drop in the front, and the rear dropped around 1". Kind of strange when you think about it lol
Old 08-20-2016, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding a spacer in that particular place wouldn't change ride quality at all, it's just a spacer in that location fortunately.

Reason why removing a 1/2in spacer caused more than a half inch drop is because of the mounting point of the lower shock on the lower control arm. If the shock was mounted at the end of the control arm (where the ball joint is) I believe then the 1/2in spacer would create exactly a 1/2in raise in the car's ride height. Since in reality, the shock is mounted almost halfway up the lower control arm, a 1/2in spacer would create more than a 1/2in raise/drop. Like the lower ball joint will move 7/8in while the point where the shock mounts to only moves 1/2in, something along those lines...Something to do with fulcrum points or something of that nature... I can't really explain it, I don't feel that smart atm
Old 08-20-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Adding a spacer in that particular place wouldn't change ride quality at all, it's just a spacer in that location fortunately.

Reason why removing a 1/2in spacer caused more than a half inch drop is because of the mounting point of the lower shock on the lower control arm. If the shock was mounted at the end of the control arm (where the ball joint is) I believe then the 1/2in spacer would create exactly a 1/2in raise in the car's ride height. Since in reality, the shock is mounted almost halfway up the lower control arm, a 1/2in spacer would create more than a 1/2in raise/drop. Like the lower ball joint will move 7/8in while the point where the shock mounts to only moves 1/2in, something along those lines...Something to do with fulcrum points or something of that nature... I can't really explain it, I don't feel that smart atm
Ok I can see what you're describing, and that makes some sense. Wonder why BMR never mentioned anything like that lol.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok I can see what you're describing, and that makes some sense. Wonder why BMR never mentioned anything like that lol.
Haha, I'm wondering the same too. I wished I'd realized that when I added my spacers. I hoped it'd settle more but never did.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Haha, I'm wondering the same too. I wished I'd realized that when I added my spacers. I hoped it'd settle more but never did.
Now that I really think about it what corvette z07 is saying makes perfect sense. The fact that BMR said the 1/2" spacers should raise the car a 1/2" really has me a little upset to be honest.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked out the spacers online and they don't actually list the thickness of the spacer. They list that it'll give a 1/2in raise in height for 1 spacer.

Just wondering, did you loosen anything else up when you removed the spacers? Sway bar end links or any bushings?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
I just checked out the spacers online and they don't actually list the thickness of the spacer. They list that it'll give a 1/2in raise in height for 1 spacer.

Just wondering, did you loosen anything else up when you removed the spacers? Sway bar end links or any bushings?
If you are referring to the BMR spacers they do in fact state that it's 1/2" on their site, and I was told it would raise the height 1/2". I measured the spacer and it was definitely 1/2", but obviously it raised about 1". Since you mentioned this the other day, I've done some research, and other people have experienced the exact same thing. Maybe BMR can come in here and explain their side of this, because they were dead wrong in what they told me.

As far as bushing and end links I didn't loosen any of that.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't see a reason to be upset with BMR. We all suggested lowering the car with no spacers. You seem to have been pretty worried with ground clearance even after several others mentioned that you will be fine(including myself). BMR provided a solution "in case" you needed more ground clearance, but you decided to install the spacers first instead of just installing the springs first. I understand they said 1/2" but not all cars are the react the same from lowering. Its a simple case of paralysis from analysis my friend. And sometimes it causes more headaches...been there done that!

Pics of car?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I'm glad you were finally able to achieve the stance you were after

I'm a little confused how they raised the car 1" though. That is really odd. The most I have seen is around 3/4" of difference with them, but that was an extreme case, light weight car.

Either way, if you ended up not needing them, I will gladly take them back and credit you for them.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I don't see a reason to be upset with BMR. We all suggested lowering the car with no spacers. You seem to have been pretty worried with ground clearance even after several others mentioned that you will be fine(including myself). BMR provided a solution "in case" you needed more ground clearance, but you decided to install the spacers first instead of just installing the springs first. I understand they said 1/2" but not all cars are the react the same from lowering. Its a simple case of paralysis from analysis my friend. And sometimes it causes more headaches...been there done that!

Pics of car?
I hear what you're saying, and you're right I was overly worried, and sometimes that causes me more pain than its worth lol. But what I'm saying is the spacer makes close to 1" difference not 1/2" like BMR was saying. It's not like the springs where some will lower more than others because of variances car to car. No the spacer should raise the car about the advertised amount regardless of the variances. See what I'm saying?

I'm gonna get pics soon for sure. Drove the car home that day after pulling the spacers, and haven't drove it since. My garage has crappier lighting and is small so it's kinda hard to snap nice pics in there lol

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 08-22-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Well, I'm glad you were finally able to achieve the stance you were after

I'm a little confused how they raised the car 1" though. That is really odd. The most I have seen is around 3/4" of difference with them, but that was an extreme case, light weight car.

Either way, if you ended up not needing them, I will gladly take them back and credit you for them.
Hey thank you for chiming in Eric! I'm baffled as well. All ended up working out, so it's all good, but you might want to let others know about this. After doing some research I've seen that others have had similar situations like this

Thank you for offering to take them back, I do appreciate that. I think i'll hold on to them though since they may come in handy down the road

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 08-23-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to find my measurements but I put 1/4" worth of washers to raise it up a little so it sat like your old 1" springs and those spacers ended up raising the car about 1/2". I'm fixing to tear it all back apart to rebuild the suspension and install some Koni's and will be removing a washer or 2 since I already planned on getting it re-aligned.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

As promised here are the pics with the front spacers removed. It now sits almost exactly even for the front and rear

Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome. That's about perfect. Looks like just a tad high in the rear(which I prefer... I might prefer a tad more.... if any, but that's easy to get). Any HFM required with those big 315's?

Whats your clearance now and how do you feel about the height? I have had a similar mentality as you and was thinking about going less than 1.25".
Old 08-26-2016, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome. That's about perfect. Looks like just a tad high in the rear(which I prefer... I might prefer a tad more.... if any, but that's easy to get). Any HFM required with those big 315's?

Whats your clearance now and how do you feel about the height? I have had a similar mentality as you and was thinking about going less than 1.25".
Thanks man! Actually the front and rear both measure 26.5" so it's basically dead even. I'd prefer a little more rake, so I may do the heater hose mod but only do like a half a coil. Before I lowered it I already had the fenders rolled and did the BFH to the inner wheel well, but now it will rub but only a tiny bit if I hit a angled turn just right...which is no biggy. Clearance for the lowest point in the exhaust should be around 2.75" now, but I haven't measured yet to confirm. I love the new stance but I think I'd like maybe about a 1/4" more in the rear. Bottom line...it looks and handles much better than the stock setup so I'm very happy with that
Old 08-27-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks about perfect there, not too low not too high.

How many fingers can you fit between tire and fender?

Quick Reply: Lowering and ground clearance