Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Street/strip LCA and PHB

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street/strip LCA and PHB

I have read a lot of threads about what lca ends and it seems they all end up being about autox and road corse cars. They end up with poly binds so don't get that.

I never plan to road corse the car but do street drive the car so what is the best for that poly, rod ends, roto joints?

What are the limitations for each?

Is the differance a weight differance?

I know NVH so I would think poly would be the choice but do you start to have issues with low 60ft or quarter mile times and have to move away from poly?

The next thing is I know I want adjustable but single or double?

How much easier is it to adjust?

Help school me on what is best for a street strip setup.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

We offer poly and quality heim joint options but we prefer a customer to use a heim/heim combination. With a quality heim joint such as we use it will out perform and out last other options as poly will bind in any situation, whether it is your basic street vehicle or race car.

When it comes non adjustable, single adjustable, and double adjustable you are always better off going double adjustable or known as on vehicle adjustable. Making adjustments with double adjustable makes installation a breeze.

Any questions feel free to shoot us a PM or email.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Ok thanks double adjustable was what I was thinking just didn't know if single adjustable was fine I am no suspension wizard so the easy install is best for me.

For the poly or heim when it performs better is that in terms of durability? In terms of 60ft time is it a big differance will I see a tenth cut off from one to the other not sure what is included in performs better?

Also is the poly/heim the best of both performance upgrade and NVH decrease?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
Ok thanks double adjustable was what I was thinking just didn't know if single adjustable was fine I am no suspension wizard so the easy install is best for me.

For the poly or heim when it performs better is that in terms of durability? In terms of 60ft time is it a big differance will I see a tenth cut off from one to the other not sure what is included in performs better?

Also is the poly/heim the best of both performance upgrade and NVH decrease?
Performs better as heim joints will have zero bind that poly or rubber does. A good quality heim joint will have a longer life as well. For better improved 60' times heim joints on both ends is the way to go.

You are correct though reason we sell a poly/heim combination is for customers that wants the heim joint on the rear end side and poly on the chassis side.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We offer LCA's in several flavors just for the reason of getting what fits your needs.

Adjustable arms I typically only recommend for aftermarket rear ends to compensate for variations in mounting provisions and axle centering.
The whole poly debate has been going since the dawn of time. My personal experience, most f-bodies don't push the limits enough to see a difference in poly vs rod end and binding issues. But on paper it is a concern.
Rod ends are ultimately the strongest and provide no bind, but at the expense of NVH. Poly/rod ends offer a compromise between the two.
I'm still a little confused by why the terms "single" and "double" adjustable are used in relation to control arms. All of ours are on car adjustable. You turn the adjuster and the control arm lengthens or shortens. No having to take one end off and turn it and guessing when it needs to be.
If your car is primarily street driven, stick with Poly. It will do everything you need. If the car is more of a high powered weekend toy, look at the poly/rod end stuff. If it is just built to go fast, then rod ends are the way to go

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Polys here no issue.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Polys here no issue.
What kind of times 60ft and 1/4 do you run if you don't mind me asking? Looks like a pretty good launch.

Thanks so far for the explanation of the differences it helps guide me.

I wish someone had a back to back on the performance but who is buying 2 sets just for fun
Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last part of what Eric said in his post is the I for you need to take. Really think about what your going to do. I know a lot of people say I have a street strip car but only go to the track once a month or two months and they regret go heim-heim and end up going back to a poly/poly or poly/heim.. IMO a poly/heim seems the best compromise for a street strip car since all suspension places are coming out with that setup now.

I also never felt the need for an adjustable rear lca until I put 28s and new springs on the car and had to center them in the wheel well along with an adjustable pan hard bar
Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

What kind of times 60ft and 1/4 do you run if you don't mind me asking? Looks like a pretty good launch.

Thanks so far for the explanation of the differences it helps guide me.

I wish someone had a back to back on the performance but who is buying 2 sets just for fun
Thats a 1.4x 60ft in the pic. The reason Im not gung hoe on roto/heim joints is because Ive heard too many stories of them clunking and/or failing prematurely. There is no denying they articulate THE best but, I like not having to worry about it.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can use my own personal experience. Years ago after purchasing a set and they ended up putting everything in a bind killing my 60' times, I never bought another set for anything I had any type of performance in mind. A Heim joint end you can tighten down as hard as you would like and it will not effect it's performance. A poly end you have to get it just right and one should do regular check ups to make sure it isn't loose.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Another question to dump in here the offset bushings what is the benifits to that?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another question to dump in here the offset bushings what is the benifits to that?
If you need the room for a wide tire, generally only needed if you do a mini tub kit.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

And if noise is a concern to you then stick with poly I've had rod ends on my lt1 car and it was terrible.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

see......why deal with all that.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

rotojoint FTW.
No noise, rebuildable, and best of all no bind...
Old 08-07-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I use the Founders Poly Joint LCA's. They work great and are a very smart idea to get the benefits of poly without the negatives. I also have a Founders double rod end PHB. It works fine with only a little noise so far. If I had to buy another new PHB I would use a poly one and I would get one that has a single adjustment point towards on center of the bar to let me adjust it and tighten it down while on the car instead of the adjustment points towards the ends of the bar which you can't tighten up will they are mounted to the chassis. With those bars to have to set the bar where you want it, take it off the car, and tighten it down while being careful not to move where you have the bar set.

Quick Reply: Street/strip LCA and PHB