Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem with UMI rear bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with UMI rear bump stops

Hey guys...I have a 1998 TA and one of the factory rear bump stops is gone, and the other cracked halfway through. I bought UMI rubber replacements from the WS6store here:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=7779

When I went to install the new ones, they don't fit. The factory ones have a cutout in them for the shape of the body, but the UMI ones are flat. Is there any way to get these to work? Is there a spacer i can buy? I don't know if i can return these but I did see the Dorman ones look like they will fit the factory shape. I've attached pictures of both...black are UMI and yellow are Dorman. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Problem with UMI rear bump stops-31068-001.jpg   Problem with UMI rear bump stops-2056.jpg  
Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm I don't recall these never fitting. Is there something not allowing them to bolt on to the car? We have a car on the lift now, we will look tomorrow morning at our set installed and see if we see what you are referring to.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hmmm I don't recall these never fitting. Is there something not allowing them to bolt on to the car? We have a car on the lift now, we will look tomorrow morning at our set installed and see if we see what you are referring to.

Thank you,
Ryan
Thanks! The issue is that the factory location has a piece of sheetmetal that curves downward, and the factory bump stop has a recess in it like the Dorman one to fit around it. On yours, the rubber is mounted to a flat plate with 2 holes. When I line the holes up with the bolts, the flat plate interferes with the car's sheetmetal and won't allow the holes to line up with the car's threaded holes. If you do have a way to make it work and can send pics, that would be awesome! Appreciate the response...
Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

I cut the lip that has hanging down with the grinder. bolted up the same bump stop you have. I'm lowered so not using the stock spacer helps out. If you really really want to keep from cutting, Hawks third gen sells a spacer.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BBWS6
I cut the lip that has hanging down with the grinder. bolted up the same bump stop you have. I'm lowered so not using the stock spacer helps out. If you really really want to keep from cutting, Hawks third gen sells a spacer.
You mean these?

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/bump...-reproduction/

I'm running the stock 16" wheels, so can I still use these spacers?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

Correct as above, you need to nip the lip off or use a hammer and pound it. Our '99 when we bought it already had them cut to clear wider wheels so that is why I completely forgot about that.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just checked our cars and found the same as above. The factory lip sticks down. So, you'd bend it up or slice it off. Our '99, now that I recall, came from the previous owner that way while our '00 still has the same lips yours does. We would modify that if we were to use our stops.

thanks

ramey
Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Launching!

I don't want to bend or cut anything on my car. These say factory replacements and they're not. If I can use them with spacers fine...if not, I want to return them for a refund.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Then you probably want this?
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/bump-stop-camaro-firebird-82-2002-rear-axle-bump-stop-new-gm-each/

thats the price for just one. That's why I pulled out the grinder lol.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SilverV6Camaro
I don't want to bend or cut anything on my car. These say factory replacements and they're not. If I can use them with spacers fine...if not, I want to return them for a refund.
You can return them, that is understandable. We will add a note to the ad to better explain this.

I think these are one of the only rubber bumpstops put there, the Hawks one looks rubber but $120 a set also. The downfall to poly is it is like a spring, when the axle tube hits it it forces it off quickly like a bounce. We learned this really fast when we were designing our coilovers... the car would work great until it hit them and then "boing" the suspension unloads.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Ryan or Ramey, I just purchased a set of these bump stops also. My 4th gen camaro is a dedicated autocrosser. When I looked these over, I thought they were thick. My thoughts were to cut them down from 1 3/4" to about an 1 1/4" to allow the car a little more travel before impacting the bump stop. Since I saw this thread, I thought I would ask if this is valid thinking before doing so. I run your typical #160 spring/Koni rear setup. I probably should have not hijacked this thread, but usually everyone benefits from these hijackings.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
You can return them, that is understandable. We will add a note to the ad to better explain this.

I think these are one of the only rubber bumpstops put there, the Hawks one looks rubber but $120 a set also. The downfall to poly is it is like a spring, when the axle tube hits it it forces it off quickly like a bounce. We learned this really fast when we were designing our coilovers... the car would work great until it hit them and then "boing" the suspension unloads.
I'd be willing to keep them if one of the spacers out there will allow them to work at the right height and without modification. The problem is I don't think anyone knows if spacers will work for the stock height for 16" rims or with these particular bump stops. I do like the rubber a lot--poly are too harsh.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the Jeep bump stops and had to use a spacer. Here is a pic of it installed. So far no issues and I'm on lowering springs.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with UMI rear bump stops-new-bumpstop.jpg  
Old 09-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Launching!

So where do I get spacers if I want to use these UMI bump stops? Hawks Third Gen?

Old 09-07-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those spacers are likely going to be your best bet.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

So where do I get spacers if I want to use these UMI bump stops? Hawks Third Gen?

I'll send you a PM with the link since I got the spacers from a non-sponsor site.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to have to swap mine out for rubber, the stockers that were in good shape are now not so hot after pushing the car harder with the better shock/spring setup. I'm going to cut the lip off like I have on all of my previous f-bodies. Is there any particular reason people are super opposed to trimming it?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I'm going to have to swap mine out for rubber, the stockers that were in good shape are now not so hot after pushing the car harder with the better shock/spring setup. I'm going to cut the lip off like I have on all of my previous f-bodies. Is there any particular reason people are super opposed to trimming it?
Not sure on why opposed other than principle I guess. Sometimes it's tough to find a balance between hot-rodding and bolting on parts.

Our '99 had that spot trimmed so it could run the widest possible wheel. That lip catches on super-wide wheels...

ramey
Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Default Wheel spacers

You mean these?

I'm running the stock 16" wheels, so can I still use these spacers?
yes. I have wheel spacers on my 99 trans am with 16 inch wheels.

Quick Reply: Problem with UMI rear bump stops