Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Awesome YouTube video on the CTS V Caliper upgrade!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016 | 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
That may be your best bet. Kind of ridiculous a shop that does things 100 times harder than enlarging a hole can't take care of you.

Alex
Yea, I mean I'd do it myself if I had the tools.

As for pads I went with the Hawk HPS (I AutoX/RR), will leave a review when I finally get the rotors on.
Old 10-19-2016 | 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Bumping

Where did you guys go to get your rotors honed out? I've got everything on the car ready to go except everywhere I go no one wants to touch the rotors. Been to 8 places so far...
I had the same problem. I went through about 10 machine shops before I could find someone willing to touch it. Most of these shops were will equipped to do the job but didn't want to touch it. The reason isn't because they can't but because alot of machine shops don't like touching "non standard" automotive parts as it puts too much liability on them if they were to find an incident happened on their behalf. I know of a few people who can do it for you but you would have to ship the rotors. I will PM you.

It was just an old school machine shop with one older guy there. In Chicago. Im surprises no one will do it by you. Its really just about the easiest thing to do in the machining world. Just making a hole larger. I can dig up the guys contact info but you would have to ship to Chicago. Thats going to kill you on cost.
Yeah it surprised me too. I live in a very populated urban area but I mention rotors and machine shops say nope, some of them will go as far as resurfacing them but thats all. Even though most were capable of it, alot of them don't like touching automotve stuff that isn't "standard" (motor rebuilds, ect) because of the severe liability they face on non standard material should something go wrong.

On a side note. I had the car at the track this last weekend so I really got test these things out. Car went 9.7@141 so I was able to test them stopping from about 145 as I always keep going a little past the line.

Nothing short of amazing. I could not believe the grip they had. I could lock the tires up if I wanted and there was no fade.

Should have done this a long time ago....

Alex
Jeeze what kind of mods are done to your car? I stomped on my brakes at a 45 MPH roll as a car pulled out infront of me and basically, the car instantly stops and everything in the backseat goes to the front... I'm like...wow...
Old 10-19-2016 | 06:49 AM
Launching!

Thanks so much guys.

Yes those are or wheels 18 inch with the 54mm offset. Yes 5mm spacer. Honestly if they made it a 2-3mm spacer would be fine. I have a ton of room with the 5mm.
Looks great! !

Car is night and day as far as stopping.I plan a stopping test video vs a st

OTE=TX98Z28;19394644]Awesome video Alex! This will help me out a ton with the install. Sticky for sure! Also are those 54mm offset wheels on the front you have installed with the 5mm spacer?
[/QUOTE]

I will try fitment without the spacer first then add a 2-5mm spacer if needed. I found a thread with a guy with the same C5 54mm offset wheels and they fit without a spacer, it was extremely close though. Maybe I will get lucky but I will more than likely need and run the spacer if it's to close for comfort.
Old 10-19-2016 | 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

Built motor, trans, moser 9 inch. Big turbo putting down 900whp.

I needed these brakes!!

Alex

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I had the same problem. I went through about 10 machine shops before I could find someone willing to touch it. Most of these shops were will equipped to do the job but didn't want to touch it. The reason isn't because they can't but because alot of machine shops don't like touching "non standard" automotive parts as it puts too much liability on them if they were to find an incident happened on their behalf. I know of a few people who can do it for you but you would have to ship the rotors. I will PM you.

Yeah it surprised me too. I live in a very populated urban area but I mention rotors and machine shops say nope, some of them will go as far as resurfacing them but thats all. Even though most were capable of it, alot of them don't like touching automotve stuff that isn't "standard" (motor rebuilds, ect) because of the severe liability they face on non standard material should something go wrong.

Jeeze what kind of mods are done to your car? I stomped on my brakes at a 45 MPH roll as a car pulled out infront of me and basically, the car instantly stops and everything in the backseat goes to the front... I'm like...wow...
Old 10-20-2016 | 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been thinking of doing this upgrade. Thanks for the links to the parts list.
Old 10-20-2016 | 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by chevy94c
I have been thinking of doing this upgrade. Thanks for the links to the parts list.
Its worth every penny.. should be one of the "must's" on your LS1 F-Body.
Old 10-21-2016 | 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Do the rear 4 piston brakes go on just as easy??
Old 10-21-2016 | 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Do the rear 4 piston brakes go on just as easy??
No. They require brackets and honing out the CTS-V rear rotors to fit over the hub. Also, you will have to lose ONE of the following:
A.) Your Parking Brake
B.) Traction Control
It's fairly in depth getting them to work and for the performance increase (actually decrease because they will screw up the bias) is not worth it. It's only good for looks. If you succeed in getting them on, you'll risk locking up the rear wheels during hard stops, very dangerous.
Old 10-21-2016 | 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
No. They require brackets and honing out the CTS-V rear rotors to fit over the hub. Also, you will have to lose ONE of the following:
A.) Your Parking Brake
B.) Traction Control
It's fairly in depth getting them to work and for the performance increase (actually decrease because they will screw up the bias) is not worth it. It's only good for looks. If you succeed in getting them on, you'll risk locking up the rear wheels during hard stops, very dangerous.
No traction control here

Thank you for the info! I was thinking of doing all 4 corners, now I'll just do the front. Mainly for the safety factor.

Quick Reply: Awesome YouTube video on the CTS V Caliper upgrade!!!