Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

quietest torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default quietest torque arm

I'm looking to remove my factory torque arm from the tailshaft. I previously had a tunnel mount arm, and it was way too noisy/too much vibration for my taste. Do they make an arm that is as quiet as stock that isn't mounted to the tail shaft? I have a feeling that it's not possible, but I thought I would ask...I don't care what brand, but my number one goal is minimal to no vibration or noise (like stock), but off of the tail shaft. While straight line traction is what I'm interested in, I rather lose traction for a quiet/vibration-free ride. If a long arm with the trans relocation kit is the best option, is one brand quieter than another? Instead of rod ends, could poly bushings be installed to reduce noise/vibration?
Old 10-01-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you can always use rubber washers/spacers in between the body and brackets so you dont feel as much vibration.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From our sales and our installations as well as personal cars we have found the long stock length torque arms are the quietest arms and usually unnoticeable. Our part # 2205

To get the arm off the tail shaft you would then use a relocation kit that works with the longer arm, this can add a little noise at times but very minimal. Run this with a rubber transmission bushing for best results on noise and vibration. Our part # 2208

If we can help any please ask. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...ex&cPath=7_116

The relocation set-up replaces your trans cross member and takes the mounting point of the tail shaft.

You can use aftermarket torque arms or we sell a bushing that will work with a factory torque arm.

This is by far the best set-up if you are looking for ride quality compared to the tunnel mount style.

Craig
Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Generally speaking a long arm is going to be the quietest of the two arms with our pivot link having a energy suspension bushing on it should also aid in damping the noise and vibration. Give us a call you have any questions.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You will always have an increase in NVH when going from a stock mounted arm to an aftermarket combination of any kind. The stock arm mounts through a soft rubber bushing, and then is further isolated by the rubber transmission mount. So adding in stiffer polyurethane and/or relocating the arm will still induce slightly more road noise. This is very subjective. Some people don't even notice the difference, while others say they can tell.
Historically, full length arms tend to be the quietest since they attach to an area of the floor that has more bracing and does not seem to resonate road noise the same way a short arm does. We have transmission crossmembers that have a mount provision for the torque arm to get it off of the tailshaft. This allows for use of a stock arm (with a polyurethane bushing) or any aftermarket full length arm.

It looks like you have an LS1 auto car so I would recommend the TCC007.
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...329&superpro=0

As for torque arms, it depends on if your car is lowered, or if you have future plans to. We have adjustable (TA001) and non adjustable (TA002) arms that will work with this crossmember
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...315&superpro=0

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will the stock torque arm be quieter than an aftermarket adjustable long torque arm when used with a relocation kit?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cals400ex
Will the stock torque arm be quieter than an aftermarket adjustable long torque arm when used with a relocation kit?

Name:  l1l3o.gif
Views: 441
Size:  1.60 MB

Did you not read the replies above??
Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe my question was not clear. Stock torque arm with relocation bracket vs aftermarket long torque arm with relocation bracket...How does the NVH compare? In other words, will the rod ends on the adjustable long torque arms be louder when used with the relocation bracket in comparison to a stock torque arm with the relocation bracket?
The following users liked this post:
capelajc (09-13-2020)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The big difference is mostly in the switch from rubber to poly. Run a rubber mount on the TA and you probably won't notice a difference. Both connected to the rear metal on metal. I had UMI's relocation mount when mine was an a4, then when it became an m6 with their TA and poly and I didn't notice any discernible nvh difference.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cals400ex
Maybe my question was not clear. Stock torque arm with relocation bracket vs aftermarket long torque arm with relocation bracket...How does the NVH compare? In other words, will the rod ends on the adjustable long torque arms be louder when used with the relocation bracket in comparison to a stock torque arm with the relocation bracket?
On the rear of the torque arm those are rod eyes and not rod ends. They don't have bearings, they just have eyelets to allow adjusting.

Any added noise will come from two things, one you are not mounting a torque arm to a heavy duty bracket bolted directly under you. Any action the torque arm makes will now travel to you quicker and possibly more noticeable since it is connected more to you now. Two, the arm itself and relocation bracket are built to be heavy duty and not allow flex, factory parts flex and are designed to. We eliminate this.

The most unnoticeable torque arm set up you can do is a full length torque arm bolted in the stock location. When removing the torque arm from the tail shaft is when you could possible increase this. Really it's minimal to none but I guess it depends on you and the car. I would try just the torque arm itself first and go from there.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 10-04-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an older Spohn mid mount torque arm and didn't notice any difference from the factory torque arm and mount FWIW.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by farmington
I have an older Spohn mid mount torque arm and didn't notice any difference from the factory torque arm and mount FWIW.
I was running a poly UMI short arm and didn't feel any difference from stock.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

My main goal of getting a new torque arm was to get it off of the tail shaft. I might try a relocation bracket and see how it is.

Quick Reply: quietest torque arm