Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best performance brake pads for hard braking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best performance brake pads for hard braking?

Assistance please, title says it all. I have a 2000 F body with cross drilled rotors and OEM Calipers.Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

probably Hawk HPS pads or EBC Yellows
Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawks here.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

you would probably want to turn your rotors if they are used before putting in new pads
love my Hawk HPS pads. low dust and quieter than factory pads. stop better too.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Teching In

I used Hawk HP+ on my Camaro. Work great but as advertised this pad compound is pretty dusty and noisy. Stops better than any pad I've had on the car though.

Nick
Old 10-23-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for responses. I'm using Hawks. I notice braking hard to shave off speed at full throttle brakes hum as I slow to stop. I full K MEMBER upper n lower control arms. I inspected rotors, looks fine. Wondering if car's hp/trq overpowering brakes?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Teching In

The cross drilled rotors cause the hum you're hearing.

Nick
Old 10-23-2016, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Double J
Thanks for responses. I'm using Hawks. I notice braking hard to shave off speed at full throttle brakes hum as I slow to stop. I full K MEMBER upper n lower control arms. I inspected rotors, looks fine. Wondering if car's hp/trq overpowering brakes?
Which hawk pads?
Also get rid of the drilled rotors, they are not helping anything.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zebrabeefj40
The cross drilled rotors cause the hum you're hearing.

Nick
So nothing I should be concerned about then. What causes this? Thank you
Old 10-23-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Which hawk pads?
I always thought slotted cross drilled rotors create a cooling effect on steel?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They do. The rotors that came on my Z28 from the factory warped, they replaced them and they warped, I replaced them (advance or autozone I don't remember) and they warped. I bought cross drilled off of ebay for if I can remember like $140 shipped for all 4 and I have been trouble Free for I would say 140,000 miles.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Which hawk pads?
BUT THEY LOOK SO COOL.

I still run my cross drilled and slotted rotors on the street Blanks and hawks for the front for Auto-x though.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

If you are concerned about squealing brakes then you might want to rephrase your question so that others more knowledgeable than me can chime in with better answer.

I have Hawk HP 5.0's. No squeaks. Good braking, and enough brake dusting to require wheel maintenance.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope.
Originally intended to help expel gasses from brake pads, however modern day brake pads don't gas out.
There is a ton of theory back and forth for cooling and improved braking, seems all is debunked by now. One thing is clear though, you have a greater chance of cracking the rotors...

Originally Posted by LS1121
They do. The rotors that came on my Z28 from the factory warped, they replaced them and they warped, I replaced them (advance or autozone I don't remember) and they warped. I bought cross drilled off of ebay for if I can remember like $140 shipped for all 4 and I have been trouble Free for I would say 140,000 miles.
False.
The rotors that come on these cars are pretty shitty, mine "warped" as well. The real fix is getting better brake pads. Im still running blank rotors and stopping WAY (high speed and auto-xing) harder than I was when I was on stock pads and have had 0 issues. Read around what the guys who track their cars run, you will see all blank rotors. Modern day race cars are using blank rotors as well...
C6 Lemans racer:
Old 10-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope.
Originally intended to help expel gasses from brake pads, however modern day brake pads don't gas out.
There is a ton of theory back and forth for cooling and improved braking, seems all is debunked by now. One thing is clear though, you have a greater chance of cracking the rotors...
False.
The rotors that come on these cars are pretty shitty, mine "warped" as well. The real fix is getting better brake pads. Im still running blank rotors and stopping WAY (high speed and auto-xing) harder than I was when I was on stock pads and have had 0 issues. Read around what the guys who track their cars run, you will see all blank rotors. Modern day race cars are using blank rotors as well...
C6 Lemans racer:
All of this.

Neither cross drilled or slotted do much of anything to benefit modern brake pads. Slotted will help scrap away glazing on pads that get too hot, but if you're using performance pads they most likely won't be getting too hot and you'll just be burning through your expensive pads faster.

Blanks work best because the venting and vanes inside the vent is what cools the rotors, having less surface area or holes on the surface doesn't. In fact, they just give you less rotor mass to deal with the heat.

Quality blanks, quality pads, and keeping your fluid clean and flushed regularly (could even switch to dot 4 fluid) will be more than 99% will ever need. If that's not enough braking, get stickier tires.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

As for what pad exactly, what do you mean by "hard braking"? Hard braking in autocross (tops 65mph) is not the same as road racing (120mph+). So the pads you would use would be different. What is the use for your car?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Running raybestos blanks, Powerstop evolution carbon fiber ceramic pads on front and ceramic rear pads. All through Rock auto for about the same as part store economy prices.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Nope.

False.
C6 Lemans racer:
I agree but most new drilled rotors have quite a bit less holes in them then what you posted in that picture. This was done to eliminate the issue with cracking.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
If you are concerned about squealing brakes then you might want to rephrase your question so that others more knowledgeable than me can chime in with better answer.

I have Hawk HPd 5.0's. No squeaks. Good braking, and enough brake dusting to require wheel maintenance.
Brakes aren't squealing. I said it was a humming sound. The rotors show no indication of warping or cracking.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Drilled rotors are the devil on a road race car. Mine looked 10 times worse than the ones in the picture, one day at the track turned a brand new set into junk, cracked them all the way from the outer edge nearly to the hub, lucky they didn't come apart. I guess that's what happens when you stop repeatedly from over 150 on the back straight and 130 on the front.

Quick Reply: Best performance brake pads for hard braking?