Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4th Gen F-body Aftermarket K-member Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th Gen F-body Aftermarket K-member Concerns

Hello all. I have concerns with putting an aftermarket tubular k-member in my 4th Gen TA. Primarily, I am concerned that if I install a tubular k-member that I will not be able to lift from the k-member anymore. This presents an interesting problem since my car is lowered. So this only leaves the pinch welds to lift on for the front of the car (which is a big no-no).

So, why am I worried about lifting on an aftermarket tubular k-member?
1.) bending the bottom tubing brace
2.) small contact surface for lifting resulting in slipping off tube

1. is really my big concern
2. is not a huge concern since I could just get a hockey puck and mill it out to cradle the tube, and then no worries there.

Anyone here have advice or experience on this topic? I really would like to install a tubular k-member, but not at the cost of not being able to lift from the k-member.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I lift my car by mine. Although I do prefer to get it off to one side closer to the control arm mount if possible. I have several customers who lift their cars by theirs as well. Our main cross-tube is 1-5/8" .095" wall tubing, so it can support a good bit of load.
As for slipping off, I use a standard floor jack and turn the plate on top so that the tube lands in between the 4 points that stick up off of it so that it is captured from slipping off

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 12-02-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I do not lift mine from the k member since installing an aftermarket piece. I lift from.......wait for it.....The stock jack points. Which are not pinch welds. If you are unfamiliar where the stock jack/lift locations are under the car learn them. There is one that is solid near each wheel, if for some reason your car is too low, buy a low profile jack. May I recommend the one from harbor freight, works really well and doesnt break the bank.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I do not lift mine from the k member since installing an aftermarket piece. I lift from.......wait for it.....The stock jack points. Which are not pinch welds. If you are unfamiliar where the stock jack/lift locations are under the car learn them. There is one that is solid near each wheel, if for some reason your car is too low, buy a low profile jack. May I recommend the one from harbor freight, works really well and doesnt break the bank.

^^This I love my low-pro jack although mine isnt from HF
Old 12-02-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-60678.html
Old 12-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Good advice on using the stock jacking points.

Or if you get SFCs, you can use them. But I would still use them near the wheel well.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Yep, way ahead of you on the low profile jack. I can tell you from first hand experience that not being able to lift directly in the middle of the k-member can make things much more difficult. Picture related. K-member, motor, and trans removal.

If I'm not mistaken, the frame rails where I think you mean are the stock locations, you can only jack on them if you are able to lift from both sides at the same time distributing weight evenly. I believe lifting on one side only on the frame rails with a floor jack can cause the frame rails to mash in.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, youre mistaken. There is one spot at each wheel and would be the location of the jack in the event of a flat tire. You would not jack and entire front or rear of a car for one flat. I think you are overthinking this bc of your last statement, its inconvenient. You're right, it is, but its one thing you have to give up to go lightweight.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Teching In

my 02 is lowered and I have same problem as you .I took 2 2x10's and cut one at 3 feet in length and the other at 2 feet in length and screwed them together.I drive the front wheels up onto these and use a jack from there.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen F-body Aftermarket K-member Concerns