Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Tower Brace or Shock Tower Brace??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Strut Tower Brace or Shock Tower Brace??

I'm looking to stiffen up / better the handling in my car but I'm not sure as to which one would work best. What is the difference between the two? I don't want to go to all the trouble of sway bars in front and back, just lookin for a little something easier and less money, as I'm still waiting for my paychecks to catch up with the money spent on the car
Old 06-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's two different terms for the same thing - a structural brace that goes underneath the hood to strengthen the front part of the chassis by tying together the area between the front tires. Technically 4th gen F-bodies would use a shock tower brace, because we don't have struts in our suspension. Shocks, but not struts. 3rd gen F-bodies have front struts.

I think you'll get a better bang for your buck from installing subframe connectors before you do the STB, because subs make a much bigger improvement to stiffness.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

How exactly do subframe connectors work? I've heard alot about them but never an actual explanation.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a hunch... but I think they connect the subframes.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:03 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
How exactly do subframe connectors work? I've heard alot about them but never an actual explanation.
Check this image and link out from the BMR website. Maybe it will help you understand.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/instructions/sfc001.htm

Old 06-24-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hawgs... your explanation was a little too technical. I decided to go with 99-LS1-SS explanation instead. Hope you're not hurt by this. And thanks alot 99...
Old 06-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
As the picture and BMR link illustrated, subframe cons tie together the front and rear subframes. They go underneath the car, and are either bolted or welded in place. The principal is similar to shock/strut tower braces: they make the car feel more rigid by reinforcing the car's structure and allowing it to flex less.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

you want a more responsive ride...you don't want to spend a lot of coin... The subframe connectors are the item the factory should have installed. It will help a small amount with the stiffness, but it keeps the chassis from flexing under the strain of other mods! If you only have the money to make it stiffer, and plan no horsepower improvements, go with springs, shocks/struts (yes, the fronts are technically struts) and swaybars. A strut tower brace/ shock tower brace would help if the rest of the chassis was already taken care of.
Good luck
Old 06-28-2004, 11:19 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A set of Koni shocks will make more improvement to the way a fbody handles than all the other stuff put together, with stiffer springs coming in second. The problem is, if you don't have some good boxed subframe connectors, the stiffer springs and shocks will twist the body and dimple the fenders.

So while SFC's and STB are unlikely to make a noticeable difference you can feel, they support other mods that do.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

STB really cut down the "woggle woggle" on my
convertible on hard corners.

I don't have SFCs but notice that after going to
lower / higher-rate springs and stiffer shocks that
the body does flex more than before (on the stock
setup). But not enough that I'm keen to add another
30 lb (?) of weight.

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace or Shock Tower Brace??